Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bosch Blue coil and Petronix Ignitor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
I have a nice new blue coil and an ignitor that I want to put on the 914. Anyone happen to know what the resistance of a new Bosch Blue coil is? Hopefully they are compatible, because I don't think I could stand to have a chrome ignition coil.
Trekkor
I don't have the specs for you.

I ran the Blue with my FOUR and currently on my SIX with no problems at all . The Pertronix works well with the Blue.

Nice upgrade.

KT
TravisNeff
agree.gif
lapuwali
If you don't have a multimeter, you need to buy one. They're an essential part of any old car owner's toolkit. One of the low-end $30 models are all you need. Measure the resistance between the two side posts on the coil. For a Bosch blue, which is internally ballasted, it will be 3-4 ohms. For an unballasted coil, it will be under 1 ohm, and you'd need to use an external ballast resistor.
mharrison
Harbor Freight $2.99

user posted image

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=90899
jgara962
I've got that setup on my '74 2.0L and it works great.

I think in the Performance Product catalog, they specify that you need to use a coil like the Bosch Blue with the Petronix.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (trekkor @ Sep 15 2005, 08:40 AM)
I don't have the specs for you.

I ran the Blue with my FOUR and currently on my SIX with no problems at all . The Pertronix works well with the Blue.

Nice upgrade.

KT

Hardly an "upgrade" The blue coil is less potent than the original coil, at worst, and at best the same. With the failure rate of the POS pertronix, you're trading one irritant for another, and points are a lot cheaper to replace than the pertronix. A lateral move, if anything. The Cap'n
bd1308
cap'n do you not recommend using the blue at all?

I have points and ran the blue for a long time...but is there a better performing solution?
Aaron Cox
there are at least 5,.... yes 5 different blue coils of various resistances. Ptronix has INSTRUCTIONS on how to see if your coil is safe....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.