Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Identification help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
justjim
Gents and Ladies,

I have an engine and I'm having no luck with the identification. It's a dual carb and the Engine identification is starts with an X in a circle and then a W followed by 007 (XW007), which is not posted on this website. Is anyone familiar with this code and can they let me know what type of engine this is (1.7, 1.8, 2.0)? I'm sure the W stands for made in Germany, but no luck with the rest.

Thank you,

Jim
SirAndy
QUOTE (justjim @ Sep 15 2005, 03:23 PM)
I have an engine and I'm having no luck with the identification.

what's the exact location of the engine code?
a picture of the top of the engine as well as a closeup picture would help ...

i would opt for "W" which refers to an early ('70-'72) 1.7 with 80 HP.

see the engine number info for reference ...
http://www.914world.com/specs/engnumbs.php

cool.gif Andy
lapuwali
Dual single-throat carbs, or dual twin-throat carbs? Where is the ID code you're looking at?

W is a normal engine code prefix (would be a 1.7), but no 914 engine left the factory with carbs except the Euro 1.8, which had dual single-throat Solex carbs.
justjim
Gent's here's a photo of the engine number. Full engine number is W0070560. I looked over the engine identification link (thanks for the help) but no luck finding the size. The ID code is on the engine block (top).

lapuwali
That's a 1.7.
justjim
Here's a pic with the carburators.
justjim
Missed the Previous reply.

Gents,

Thank you for your help.

Jim
lapuwali
The carbs could be Solexes for a Euro 1.8 retrofitted to a 1.7, or they could be Weber ICTs. It's possible the cases are from a 1.7 and the top-end is off a Euro 1.8, or just about anything else. Hard to tell with modified engines w/o disassembly.
SLITS
The "O" with an "X" in it is actually VW in a circle as I remember..............it preceedes the engine number..letter(s) = type, numbers = serial number

So they were drunk.gif when they stamped it.
SirAndy
QUOTE (SLITS @ Sep 22 2005, 04:45 PM)
The "O" with an "X" in it is actually VW in a circle as I remember

agree.gif 1.7L it is ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.