Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: when CV joints go bad...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
I had a clunk in the rear of the car and I think this is why... Check out what a BAD (but not completely broken) CV joint looks like.

Major spalling on multiple tracks:
mightyohm
Look how loose this joint is! (It should not have this much travel, it is almost falling apart!)
Aaron Cox
why are your hands still clean??? biggrin.gif

Allan
I found those kind of gouges in one of mine when I was putting my car back together after a motor rebuild. It never made any noises but I swapped it out with a better one I had on a parts car.
mightyohm
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 15 2005, 06:15 PM)

Wash hands before using camera... Helps keep the pics from looking like SirAndy took them...

Actually I cleaned those out a week ago so my hands have had time to recover. biggrin.gif
Andyrew
Heck, all I do is shatter the ring.

itsy bitsy crack.. and bam....
dmenche914
the galling isn't that bad, ran worse with no noticable effects, however the second photo of the cage nearly falling out indicates lots of wear and too much clearance!!! yeh gads, that looks bad, good thing you caught it before it went.

Why washhands?, latex gloves are great for CV cleaning / packing etc....
redshift
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 15 2005, 10:15 PM)

Why?

HOW?

M
mightyohm
dmenche - I use nitrile gloves for everything. But I always manage to get greasy somehow. I was amazed at the slop in the joint. It was the first one I tore down so initially I thought it was "normal". Then I compared it to a good CV. WOW.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.