Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signal and Flashers Issues - HELP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I am in the process of putting the car back together and have issues with the turn signals. They only work when I turn the flashers on? If the flasher switch is on the external lights do not flash but the dash light - red light above the gas gauge - flashes. When teh flashers are on the turn signals work. But as soon as I turn the flashers off, the turn signal quit working? I think it worked when I tore it apart - did I wire the lights up wrong? HELP! Nothing worse than electrical gremlins in a 30 year old car!
smrz914
First thing is that the red light above the gas guage is to remind you the e-brake is on. If you turn the ignition on and the e-brake is engaged then that red light should blink. The hazards should come on even if the ignition is off or on. The turn signals flash only when the ignition is on. Hope you can get started with this.
Porsche Rescue
I have similar problem with flashing e-brake light. Brake is off (and I even disconnected the wire to the e-brake switch) but the light flashes. Hope someone has some ideas.
john rogers
I had the flashing light that would not stop on both our 73 and 74 and neither car had a reset button on the MC so I just unplugged it. I may be getting old but I am able to tell if the emergency brake is on??!!
Porsche Rescue
Ah, I think he's got it! I bled the brakes recently. Better take a look at the MC switch. Thanks John.
vesnyder
I was not getting anywhere so I just disconnected one of the wires to the red light on the dash and it not only fixed the turn signals but now my flashers work? Not sure what I did but I don't care as long as it works!
dmenche914
Doubt its Gremlins, this is a Porsche, not AMC.

At anyrate, pulling the wire from the e-brake switch may not solve the problem. The e-brake switch is a switch that connects the flashing red light on the dash to ground, thus the e-brake switch only works by connecting the negitive side of the flashing light (via a flasher) to ground, thus completing the circuit.

If your e-brake switch wire is touching any bare body parts, it may complete the circuit, and cause the flashing lamp to operate (with ignition on)

If your e-brake lamp is still flashing after removing the wire from the switch, suspect that that wire is shorted to ground some place, Look under the seat, where the wire crosses the floor from the center tunnel, maybe the wire got stripped or pinched on some metal, just keep following it until you find the short circuit.

Now a steady light coming on when you depress the brakes would indicate the brake failure warning system is indicating a problem in one of the brake circuits. I believe this will only light if brake pedel is pressed with ignition on. If it lights, you might have a serious brake failure down the road, sooner than later, so check into it, any leaking brake fluid? (or simply a failed brake pressure switch.) This system compares the pressure switch on both brake circuits (front and rear) if one side has pressure, and the other does not, then the light will indicate failure, as both pressures should always be equal at the master cylinder, if not you have air or leaks on at least one side of the system (or bad switch) Thus if both switchs indicate pressure, then the light does NOT turn on , all is ok.

good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.