Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Decent price?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rcarpen22
Hello all. I need some expert advice. I am a longtime Porsche enthusiast and I have always loved the 914 but I've never owned one. I have a 944 turbo that I drive a little and use on the track. I want to buy a 914 now to use mostly as a driver with maybe a weekend every now and then on the track. I am looking at a local car that is a '71 1.7. It has downdraft webbers, runs well, and shifts ok. Some problems are: gauges don't work (except tach), door handles don't work from inside, passenger seat is shot, and the interior in general isn't beautiful. The good news is that there appears to be no rust anywhere and the car was repainted (yellow) in '02. They are asking $6500, which I thought was way high. I offered $3500 and they did not take it. What is the approximate value of a car like this? Thanks.
Allan
Based on your description $6500.00 seems really high. Pictures would be veeeery helpful..
olav
Your offer sounds right one the mark IMHO.

ronh
QUOTE (rcarpen22 @ Sep 16 2005, 10:02 AM)
The good news is that there appears to be no rust anywhere and the car was repainted .

Be cautious and read up on 914 rust.

If the interior has been allowed to go to and the electrical is shot there may be more that you do not see.
$3500 may be high at $6500 I hope you get dinner.
sgomes
Go to your local used car lot and see what you can find for $6500! I bet you can find some pretty nice cars. I also bet all their gauges work and the doors open. Your offer of $3500 was great for a 30 year old car with NO engine or tranny problems and little to no rust.
Trekkor
Haven't seen the car, but for $6500 it had better be a '73-74 2.0 in very-very good shape.

Guys are picking up 2.0's out here for $2500 and less all day long.

A '75 2.0 went for $1800 the other day out of the Napa classifieds...I missed it. headbang.gif

FYI: $6500 is getting close to putting a SIX into a roller. rolleyes.gif

KT
Gint
QUOTE (trekkor @ Sep 16 2005, 10:45 AM)
Haven't seen the car, but for  $6500 it had better be a '73-74 2.0 in very-very good shape.

A '75 2.0 went for $1800 the other day out of the Napa classifieds...I missed it. headbang.gif

KT

But they're not the nicest 2.0s to be found either Trekkor. Maybe rcarpen22 doesn't want a beater. This particular 914 sound like it's probably nicer than the slightly rough appearance 914 I just bought for $2300, but then mine is also a 2.0 with FI intact.

Here's a look at what I just picked up a couple of weeks ago. Bought myself a driver

$6500 does indeed sound VERY high based solely on the description provided. Pictures would help in providing a more correct assesment of the car's value.

Welcome to the club!
GWN7
Hello and welcome beerchug.gif

From your description it sounds high on the price (need pictures to tell different.

You can get a car shipped to you for under $1000 (or fly out and drive it home) so don't limit your search to just local cars.
Matt Monson
QUOTE (Gint @ Sep 16 2005, 10:42 AM)
QUOTE (trekkor @ Sep 16 2005, 10:45 AM)
Haven't seen the car, but for  $6500 it had better be a '73-74 2.0 in very-very good shape.

KT

But they're not the nicest 2.0s to be found either Trekkor. Maybe rcarpen22 doesn't want a beater. This particular 914 sound like it's probably nicer than the slightly rough appearance 914 I just bought for $2300, but then mine is also a 2.0 with FI intact.

Here's a look at what I just picked up a couple of weeks ago. Bought myself a driver

$6500 does indeed sound VERY high based solely on the description provided. Pictures would help in providing a more correct assesment of the car's value.

Welcome to the club!

Just goes to show how quickly decent drivers go when they come up. I have driven past that car repeatedly. I doubt that sign was in the window for long because it has only been about 2 weeks since I drove past it.
rcarpen22
Well, I went to snap some shots of the car and found out that it sold to some guy in Florida. I took a picture anyway and will try to attach it. My big problem is that all of the 914s for sale are in California with a few exceptions in the northeast or midwest. There are NONE in the south. Ok I can't quite figure out how to upload the picture. Maybe next time.
qa1142
Keep at it, I looked for more than a year before finding the one I bought.

$3700

74 1.8L with 49K miles. all original and only one little tear in backpad.

Don't buy a bad car for too much.
rcarpen22
Here's another shot at adding the picture.
smooth_eddy
The car looks nice from the picture but there is little interest in a 71 -1.7, with at tail shifter transmission. From 1973 and on there were lots of improvements all around. Check out How to buy a 914 from Pelican Parts web site or buy George Husey's book How to Buy a 914 from Amazon or Auto Atlanta's web site. These cars are money pits so you want to buy the best car you can afford. Eddy
Rusty
My gut instinct, if it's truly rust-free and not color-changed when they repainted it... is about 4,000.

6,500 is kind of high, but in the midwest, clean cars command a higher price.

Some sellers seem to think that the amount invested equals sale price. They're often rudely disappointed.
rcarpen22
Well that car is gone anyway. I shall now continue to look. I'm in no hurry as I have a 944 turbo to amuse myself with. I've always wanted a 914 though and I think the time has come to pick one up. I would like to find a driver that I could use to go back and forth to work. I know there were alot of improvements to the later cars but I really like the look of the earlier cars better. I'm going to take my time but if the right car comes along at the right price I will jump all over it. Like I said, I made a fair offer on that one but it wasn't meant to be. Thanks for all the replies.
Gint
QUOTE (Matt Monson @ Sep 16 2005, 03:44 PM)
QUOTE (Gint @ Sep 16 2005, 10:42 AM)
But they're not the nicest 2.0s to be found either Trekkor.  Maybe rcarpen22 doesn't want a beater.  This particular 914 sound like it's probably nicer than the slightly rough appearance 914 I just bought for $2300, but then mine is also a 2.0 with FI intact.

Here's a look at what I just picked up a couple of weeks ago.  Bought myself a driver

$6500 does indeed sound VERY high based solely on the description provided.  Pictures would help in providing a more correct assesment of the car's value.

Welcome to the club!

Just goes to show how quickly decent drivers go when they come up. I have driven past that car repeatedly. I doubt that sign was in the window for long because it has only been about 2 weeks since I drove past it.

Matt! You need to sign up for our local email list. 70+ teener owners in Colorado (Denver/CoSprings mostly) can't be wrong! Shoot me a PM or email.

I bought this thing within 24 hours of looking at it. I know a 914 deal when I find one.
Gint
QUOTE (rcarpen22 @ Sep 16 2005, 04:49 PM)
Well that car is gone anyway. I shall now continue to look. I'm in no hurry as I have a 944 turbo to amuse myself with. I've always wanted a 914 though and I think the time has come to pick one up. I would like to find a driver that I could use to go back and forth to work. I know there were alot of improvements to the later cars but I really like the look of the earlier cars better. I'm going to take my time but if the right car comes along at the right price I will jump all over it. Like I said, I made a fair offer on that one but it wasn't meant to be. Thanks for all the replies.

It looked pretty nice. If well maintained and the interior was the worst part, and given the situation for your locale, I might have gone $4-4.5k for that 914.

Awesome highway mielage in a 1.7 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.