Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HOW FAR CAN ONE GO WITH A TYPE IV?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yahthatsright
What kind of horsepower can be made from a type IV motor? In my dads racing days they made 105 to 110 hp out of their 2.0 ltr 914. (this was in the mid to late 80s) I'm kind of curious
MoveQik
If I had to guess.....we'll be hearing from Jake any moment now! beerchug.gif
type47
i recently talked to a professional Porsche mechanic who races a 914 club racer who stated that a well tuned euro piston 2.0L D-jet would generate 110-120hp.
rhodyguy
right down to the lint in the bottom of the pocket.

k
Joe Bob
Bring a wallet drilling rig.....
URY914
Jake....we need you. Hello? Jake you out there? biggrin.gif

Jake Raby
I won't even spend any time on this one...

I'll drain the deepest pockets out there.... The possibilities are unlimited, the only limiting factor is money.

The smallest engine I have built all year made 140 HP.... 140 doesn't drain the wallet too bad, especially if you build it with one of my kits....

Want 600 HP from a TIV?? Want more?? Show me the money and I'll do it-
grantsfo
Not worth it - if you need power go with a six.
Jake Raby
But don't get pissy when a four passes you...
URY914
Here we go..... sad.gif
Jake Raby
Nope, No need.. The original poster asked what can be done to a TIV and I replied...

I really don't give a damn, I have things to go crush with my Pinzgauer and thats what I'm off to do for the rest of the day...

Hell I have a 911 engine sitting out back, perhaps I'll crush it with the pinz - I'll be sure to take pics, maybe even video!

Do as you wish!
yahthatsright
I understand what your saying. I race 1200 cc sit down jet ski's semi-professionaly They come stock around 130 hp. After about 10 or $15,000 you can make 230 hp out of a 1050 cc twin (2 stroke) small engine performance seems to be pretty relative - Its all about money and time, so heres my basic question. Whats the best way to wake one these up a bit to make more enjoyable on the street. Of course at the same time, how much $ does this entail?
Joe Bob
10 - 15 K is not unreasonable.....since a stock rebuild can hit 6-8K.....

That's if someone else does it.....cut 30-40% off if ya do it yerself.....then add more when ya fuck it up.... dry.gif
yahthatsright
So, in order to make 130 - 140 hp. Around 8 grand, Is that what I should be picking up?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (yahthatsright @ Sep 16 2005, 01:52 PM)
Whats the best way to wake one these up a bit to make more enjoyable on the street. Of course at the same time, how much $ does this entail?

For under $2K I can give you close to 10% over your stock engine. There's no need to even pull the engine from the car. smile.gif
nebreitling
QUOTE (yahthatsright @ Sep 16 2005, 10:01 AM)
So, in order to make 130 - 140 hp. Around 8 grand, Is that what I should be picking up?

it depends. if you need 140 hp out of, say, 1.8 liters (ie for racing/class purposes), then yeah: 7-8k could do it assuming you do all the work yourself.

but 'just' 140hp out of any displacement (say, a 2270) shouldn't cost you but 5k if you do it all yourself (it ain't rocket science, folks). Hell, i've got 125-130 reliable hp from just over 2.5k invested.

Paying an expert will cost significantly more. Frankly, i don't think that it makes much sense to pay 8k for a 150hp Type4 when you could get 180hp from a subaru-4 or porsche-6 for less.

A type-4 racing motor these days is 100hp/liter. $$$
pete-stevers
weigh your options carefully, A big four will come close to the cost of a six and install parts, I decided to go with a six before being introduced to the idea of making a big four go.... I like both ideas ....big four or big six, I have yet to drive either but am looking foward to the 3.0 six conversion this fall.... How far can you go? Jake is the guy to ask!
good luck biggrin.gif
steve
MoveQik
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ Sep 16 2005, 11:52 AM)
How far can you go? Jake is the guy to ask!

That is what I meant by my original post. beerchug.gif
Joe Bob
Fuck it....write a check.....
airsix

Here's another option if you have a good home shop and want to get your hands dirty and do some thinking.

Megasquirt EFI: $300 (or less)
Junkyard turbo in good shape: $50
Plumbing and hardware: $125
LM-1 wideband for tuning: $400

Total cost of 140hp: $875

You don't even have to drop the engine.
BTDT

-Ben M.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (airsix @ Sep 16 2005, 01:39 PM)

Here's another option if you have a good home shop and want to get your hands dirty and do some thinking.

BTDT

-Ben M.

Add gud laptop....2500 USD.
lapuwali
It can be a junky used laptop, so long as it runs Windows in some variety. You can even use a Palm these days.

You can also cut the price of the wideband setup by $200, and get an LC-1 instead of an LM-1, and either use a DMM or run it directly into the MS controller. The current MS tuning code (on the laptop) will even display and log the values out of the LC-1, so you draw pretty graphs correlating AFR with RPM, MAP, etc.

airsix
QUOTE ("Z" @ Sep 16 2005, 12:44 PM)

The laptop I use for tuning cost me $20. It isn't fancy, but it does what is required.

-Ben M.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (airsix @ Sep 16 2005, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE ("Z" @ Sep 16 2005, 12:44 PM)

The laptop I use for tuning cost me $20. It isn't fancy, but it does what is required.

-Ben M.

Like my wimmen...I appreciate a gud lap top....
tdgray
No offense to anyone who has replied with a cheaper-by-the-dozen or a just-get-a-six comment.

If you want to stick to a type IV AND want to get HP AND want to have it last. Then Jake's kits are the way to go.

I have serious plans for one of Jakes "road" engine kits after I finish my restoration (and pay off several bills).

I tend to stay true to the original car, that is just my philosophy, yours may be different.

To each his own.
rpmmaxxed

BTDT

-Ben M.

How difficult would it be to run this setup?

Reliability?

If I could gain, say 50 HP out of my 1.7 for under 1K, I would do it no problem. But 70HP? I'm all over it...

Email me information if you would be willing, or send me links to posts. I will use the search key...
TravisNeff
70HP gain from an 80HP engine with a turbo? Sure - turn up the boost. But I have my doubts how long the engine will last. You can definately get yourself a pretty good gain going this way, but unless you are starting with a fresh engine you need to be prepared for chex mix in your engine compartment.
bug man nrg
do what fits your wallet .do your home work befor you spend that cash .You can make good power with your 2.0 if it is set up right with TB's and a good efi set up . it all come's down to control fuel and timming
www.emeraldperformance.com we have done 914 912's 911's type1 honda toyota ford and so on it all come's down to tuning.good luck with your quest for power biggrin.gif
rpmmaxxed
running a 1.7 with 160K.

Not to worried about it at this point.

She runs great, smokin from the valve gaskets at this current moment in time, but that will soon stop.

other than that, starts immediately, never quits, never misses a beat. moved her 6K miles in less than 3 months, and zero problems to date.

Im gonna be doin me research...

But then again Jake's kits are amazing. too many choices...

pete-stevers
so you really want to do a type four...welll...check the bank account....get a note pad and pen.....pour yourself a hot coffee...... dial Jakes number.....start takin notes.....perhaps some gud wisky will help easy the pain.....have the bottle near by......go to bed....make up your mind in the morning...and heaven forbid....don't tell your wife until you have paid and taken delivery of the chosen kit.....this part requires some fandang-giling biggrin.gif
good luck
steve
rhodyguy
so other than leaky valve cover gaskets your car runs fine, correct? take the engine money and upgrade/renew every suspension/brake component you can think of. you'll spend the better part of $1.5k right there.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.