Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do all 914's leak some during when it rains?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
Hey guys I am attempting to get my 914 water tight (if possible).

How water tight can I reasonably expect to get? Do they all leak some? When it rains outside do you guys get worried about your carpet getting soaked?

Right now I have a car cover on it just to keep the inside dry... I really don't want to cover it every time it rains...

Cheers beer.gif

Kerry
SirAndy
nope, all it takes is $$$ ...
need4speed
I'd be MUCH more worried about my floor pan rusting out than my carpet getting wet.
Joe Ricard
Don't forget a good dource for the front Targa seal. My son went to purchase one from PP and was told not to buy one right now because of the bad manufacturing process used for the parts in stock...

Don't get carpets wet. why? no carpets laugh.gif

POR-15 is great.
J P Stein
They only leak when they're moving or standing still.
The 74 & later upper side window seals (attached to the top) help some.
Curvie Roadlover
Mine doesn't leak when it rains, but that's only because it stays in the garage when it rains. wink.gif
Steve
Important safety tip: Do not take your 914 through an automatic car wash!!

I thought my 914 was semi leak proof until I took it through an automatic car wash.
And because I'm really stupid I payed extra for the rocker panel spray option.
By the time I got through the car wash I was totally soaked.
The rocker panel spray option was aimed right where the window meets the targa top.
Thank goodness I didn't install the carpets yet.
I felt totally embarassed, laughed all the way home, changed my clothes and cleaned up the mess.
confused24.gif

Steve
Anton
Two generally overlooked causes:

1. Inside door plastic covers. Either absent or the they came off because the glue has dried up. I went to the local DIY store and bought some home isolation plastic (2 mm thick), cut it to shape with sizzors, and used double sized glue tape to install. My carpets now remain dry after rain (outside the garage, Curvie).

2. Front window. The original double sized glue tape may have dried up in the past 30 years. My front window was completely loose, producing lots of wind noise and rain water on my head! A new windshield, with custom black masking on the edges for better glue adhesion and a "modern look", solved all that.

One often overestimated cause are the seals... Usually you can SEE where they leak. When that is not the case, see the above.

Good luck.
grantsfo
I dont drive mine in the rain for fear of spontaneous rust.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 4 2003, 02:46 PM)
I dont drive mine in the rain for fear of spontaneous rust.

Amen. Part of my ritual before heading out in the teener is to check the Doppler Radar. Today's a "no go"
vortrex
I replaced every seal there was, with the "good" ones. adjusted the top and windows the best I could, still leaked!
Bleyseng
New seals and adjusting everything made all the difference in the world. No leaks! In Seattle that is a must!

Geoff
Anton
Not everybody has the the luxury of Doppler radar. cool_shades.gif Amazing...

And wouldn't that take out some of the fun? Sudden rainstorms give me the opportunity to improve my roof-from-trunk-to-targa-time... wink.gif
Rouser
30-something-year-old car + targa top + 30-something-year-old seals + God-induced torrential downpour (Guy's got a sense of humor) = LEAKS.

Replace all the seals (ka-CHING $$$!), carry a rain parka IPB Image or just try not to drive in the wet stuff.
seanery
nice beard!

put some #'s on the guys chest and he looks like a convict!
Kerrys914
Thanks for the ideas and laughs smile.gif

I don't have my door panels on yet or the plastic sheet on the doors. May be that will help some.

I guess I'll do/replace what I can afford and just soak up the rest wink.gif

My next test will be to sit inside the car and have the wife spray the heck out of the car with water. Since there is only one seat and nothing else, I may be able to see the major leaks.??

Cheers
Kerry
Qarl
Make sure you have your digital camera with you inside the car and and take a few pictures during your "water test".

Hee hee..

Did you get the two little door handle seals I sent? Maybe that's the cause of all your leaks. Just kidding.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Anton @ Aug 4 2003, 05:37 PM)
Not everybody has the the luxury of Doppler radar. cool_shades.gif Amazing...

Anton, no doppler radar, but here's a link to the Hi-Rez Europe satelite loop
Anton
Nice satellite pics! I will remember to take a peek next time I go for a topless driving session. wink.gif
Kerrys914
Thanks Karl smile.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I am looking for another set now. If I had more parts to buy it wouldn't be such a big deal..The shipping is 5 3 times as much as the parts sad.gif

The last rain storm we had I had both of the door handles out..I guess that would casue a little leak, hu sad.gif

I know the sitting insaide the car sounds dumb but what do I have to lose. If I can eliminate one leak it would have been worth it. I do have some photo's planed for you wink.gif wink.gif

I still think I am mising some sort of seal on the door. Is there a seal or?? ion top of the door window guide (latch side)? It just doesn't see right the way both sides look.????? The one car I have to look at (3 blocks away) looks the same??

Cheers
Kerry
mr914
I keep towels in mine.

In the 17 years that I've had 914's. 6 years as daily drivers, they have all leaked somewhat.

Hardest part to seal is the front of the top seals. the rest can be adjusted out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.