Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need...Tool....!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
What do you use to seperate a tubo Tie rod from the rack end? huh.gif Is it a special tool or something, its like 24mm wide and impossibly narrow confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
Turbo Tie rod wrench!!

~1/4 steel laser cut into a wrench...

the usual suspects have them. a MUST HAVE... likr 40 bucks tho
TimT
hmmmmm large Water Pump Pliers

shhhhhh dont tell anyone
TravisNeff
Fuch buying the correct tool. Spend 5 bucks on the right sized wrench and slim it down with a grinder. Better yet borrow a wrench from your neighbor instead of buying one ohmy.gif
McMark
With all the metal cutter types on this board, I'm surprised no one is making the 914Club Turbo Tie Rod Wrench™.
JFJ914
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Sep 16 2005, 11:12 PM)
What do you use to seperate a tubo Tie rod from the rack end? huh.gif Is it a special tool or something, its like 24mm wide and impossibly narrow confused24.gif

32mm and less than x6mm
mightyohm
Pipe wrench with a rag over the end.
J P Stein
QUOTE (TimT @ Sep 16 2005, 07:22 PM)
hmmmmm large Water Pump Pliers

shhhhhh dont tell anyone

Humm....Tim's been in there also.
Tain't pretty but it works biggrin.gif
Porsche Rescue
I keep hearing that an inexpensive wrench commonly available at bicycle shops does the job.
Porsche Rescue
Here is a pic from a current thread on the subject on the Pelican 914 Board.
SpecialK
I used a bonney wrench to install mine, but it's been so long ago I don't remember the SAE size that worked. If you can figure it out (metric-to-SAE), I'll see if I have a spare in that size you can have.
Crazyhippy
Bicycle shop should have one... 32MM is a fairly common sive for headsets biggrin.gif

BJH
LS6/914
Rich, I actually have the factory tool for the job. You are welcome to it. Iam actually home for a week between the shop and the railroad, let me know. Off topic where did the lower ball joint socket end up? Larry wacko.gif
914werke
Holy crap Larry! Thanks for the offer and it got into the hands of Dave Hunt to relay to you. Since I was having a difficult time getting over to your side of pond. I chk with Dave Im sure its still in his possesion ....If not, I ll replace it straight away sad.gif
ArtechnikA
for you guys that are, or know, 356 or early VW people, the "front spindle bearing" wrench set is 27x32mm. KD makes a cheap (but serviceable) set you can probably find on the pegboard of your local NAPA store.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.