Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TACH PROBLEMS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
I have posted this question before, so I apologize in advance.
I have a 74 1.8
I removed the instrument panel a couple of weeks ago to clean the gauges, as well as to sand and paint the panel. I began pulling wire and then realized that the smart thing to do would be to tage the wires to the corresponding terminal.
Well I aparently tagged one or two wrong. My problem seems to be the tach. The gas gauge works, everything lites up, but the tach is not working. Dave has given me some sirection, but there are not any numbers or letters, or symbols on the back of these gauges. Vance sent some pics of his 73 with a 74 tach, but when I follow the wiring still no luck. I know it was working, but I can't figure it out. Does anyone already have a 74 torn out that can take some pics, or a very simple diagram showing terminals withthe corresponding colors? I have beengoing through schematics, but they are aparently to complicated for my feeble mind...
Help anyone!!!!!
lapuwali
The tach will need switched power (black wire OR red/white wire), a ground (brown wire), and a signal (black/purple wire).

On the back of the tach, there's a plastic thing with three spade terminals on it. If you look closely at the plastic part, you'll see +12 +6 1 - on it. That stands for +12 (volts), +6 (volts), 1 (signal), and - (ground). There's no connector for the +6 terminal, and the list above is left to right, looking at the back of the gauge.

There's probably a long string of daisy chained red/white connections behind the gauges, which are switched +12 to the gauges (fused). Connect one of these loose connections to +12, the leftmost terminal. There's also going to be a number of daisy chained brown wires, grounds, so connect that to -, the rightmost terminal. The black/purple wire connects to the terminal marked 1, next to the ground terminal.

TINCAN914
Thanks James...
Got the welder here now, so I will take a closer look when he's gone..
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (bmunday @ Sep 17 2005, 05:02 AM)
"Dave has given me some sirection"

"Sirection"? Oooooohhhh, can I watch? Dunno what that is, but I wanna see it .....
The Cap'n
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 17 2005, 09:10 AM)
QUOTE (bmunday @ Sep 17 2005, 05:02 AM)
"Dave has given me some sirection"

"Sirection"? Oooooohhhh, can I watch? Dunno what that is, but I wanna see it .....
The Cap'n

It's not a pretty sight...
Why the hell isn't there spell check on this thing???????!!!!!
God knows I could use it!!! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.