Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ugly rust picture
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
applescotty
Well, this weekend I finally started the repairs on my 914. To sum it all up, I get to fix this:
IPB Image
Same thing that Brad posted pics of the other day. Any advice for getting the replacement part lined up properly?

For more pics, see My Webpage.
Brad Roberts
Take a few measurements towards the top. The piece will basically "fall into place".

Depending on how fast you are.. I'll have some measurements for you in the next 2 weeks (Working getting Jenny's silver car running this week/weekend)

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(applescotty @ Aug 4 2003, 11:00 AM)
To sum it all up, I get to fix this:

at least your rust is oily icon8.gif

how is the rest of the car?
oh, wait, i could just click on the link above rolleyes.gif

Andy
Lawrence
Is that a poor previous repair that I see there, or were there factory braises in that area?

-Rusty smoke.gif
Brad Roberts
I hate to say it.. but your going to need a frame rail section. When you start cutting out the suspension ear... your going to find you dont have much to weld too.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 4 2003, 11:41 AM)
I hate to say it.. but your going to need a frame rail section. When you start cutting out the suspension ear... your going to find you dont have much to weld too.

hey B., we could cut up jennys orange car this weekend and sell all the good stuff to applescotty ...

Andy
Brad Roberts
We wont have time.. and I HATE shipping crap.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 4 2003, 11:44 AM)
We wont have time.. and I HATE shipping crap.

i'm sure her framerail looks much better than what he has right now ...
applescotty
So, is the framerail you're talking about the longitudinal, or inner rocker panel, or whatever? From what I've seen so far, most of the rust seems to be confined to the suspension ear, jack point, the lower firewall near there, under the passenger seat at the rear, and the longitudinal part right there.
Just those parts. smile.gif
Of course, I'm sure I'll find more rust when I get into it. It's always there, right?
I'm sure you'll be getting your repair done before I do, Brad. If you have measurements, that would be great.

Lawrence,
I think a previous owner welded or brazed the crack. There are other repairs on the same piece as well. With all the work they must have done on it, I don't know why they didn't just replace the piece to begin with.
Brad Roberts
So.. I finished my repair tonight.. I wish my camera was charged up. Its very easy to get this thing lined up.

I used a measurement from the good side at the top..to the back firewall.

I removed the remaining pieces (I still needed to pull the top piece if you looks at my pics).. I did this by removing the spot welds.. (go to a local body shop and buy 2-3 spot weld removal bits from them) and by cutting a slice about half an inch down from the top. This allowed me to use the air chisel up the sides where the spot welds where and to POP that piece off leaving me access to the remaing top section where I used the air chisel again to knock it off.

I'll post pics in a day or so and show you how the pieces came off.

B
applescotty
Okay, so you did replace the entire piece. From the earlier pics, looked like maybe you were only going to replace the bottom half of it. Makes more sense now. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.