Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Rocket
hello all.
im abel towle, Rich towles son. I got a 1974 914 about a month ago, and i have been restoring it. i have a few pictures and ill have more as the porcess goes on.
Rocket
floor boards
Rocket
more floor boards
Rocket
drivers side firewall
Rocket
passengers side firewall
Rocket
front trunk
Rocket
drivers side engine compartment
Rocket
hell hole
Rocket
da floor boards after some work
Rocket
rear
Rocket
front
Rocket
.....hell hole
jonwatts
You're hired!

Nice work.

Rocket
lol, thanks. my father has been helping me alot
Aaron Cox
very cool... how long to do the floors???

VegasRacer
Keep going. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif blowtorch.gif
You will be driving it in no time. beerchug.gif
Gint
Congratualtions on the teener. Lookin pretty good.
r_towle
bootyshake.gif
Rocket
took me about 3 days to do the floors. took the tar mat things out with heat gun, took all the seam sealer out with heatgun, wirebruched the both floor pans, then put rust stopper on them, the primed them. right now, im working on the drivers side motor compartment

and i have wirebrushed and primed both trunks.

need to take the gas tanbk out and all the fuel lines so that i can weld up under the floor boards a mit, then have to make the motor run (details.) and paint it.

im still debating what color im going to paint it, but right now im leaning twards the stock green its already painted.
merrill
Great job! I like the green too.
r_towle
Alright,
Paint is going on this weekend.

Color will be secret till Rocket posts his picks.

My question is....

I will need group help with this one...

The entire wire loom was basically pulled out of the dash and laying on the floor when we got it.

So, I have a 1972 1.7 djet...running and wired up.

This car is a 1.8 liter LJet 1973

We will need serious help with putting the wiring back together...I think we can do the fuse box and front and rear trunks easy enough, but the instrument cluster, under dash lighting etc...is just a big mess of unplugged wires with no labels...

So...I will post picks next week as we re-install the dash...it will be the slow part of this project...

Rich
bd1308
blue/black striped wiring is the lighting for the guages. there IS one for the parking light indicator lamp, i dont remember off hand what color it is.

red/white striped wire is the 12V which is alive when the ignition is turned on (although i could be wrong, i glanced at it for a sec when looking at my tach)

MecGen
Nice work

Thanx for saving another 914 smilie_pokal.gif

+Karma

beerchug.gif
type47
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 2 2005, 07:18 PM)

So, I have a 1972 1.7 djet...running and wired up.

This car is a 1.8 liter LJet 1973

i'm sure you know more about these cars than me, but check the vin to make sure it's a 73 or the engine to make sure it's a 1.8.

beautiful work. you're an inspiration.
Rocket
it is actually a 1.8l 1974. with LJET FI. i have the original book that came with it verifying its authenticity. as my father said we will be painting it this weekend and i will post pictures of it after we are done.

yes, we will need alot of help with the wiring harness because it is lying on my floorboards right now.

right now i am in the process of cleaning the car which includes the degreasing of the entire car and then i will have to mask off the trunks and the inside and sand the outside and make it good looking before we paint.
we have the doors off and disassembled and we have to paint strip thoes because we think that the doors were repainted because the paint is now stripping and cracking.

my father and i have been reading about people that have taken the windshield out themselves and cracked it, so we have decided to just mask off the windshield.

there is no other glass on the car, and everythign that can come off has been taken off.
needless to say, we have alot of boxes with parts in them and lots of coffee cans full of nuts and bolts.

well ill keep you updated.

-rocket
Root_Werks
Another teener saved from the rust monster! biggrin.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (Rocket @ Nov 3 2005, 08:37 AM)
it is actually a 1.8l 1974. with LJET FI. i have the original book that came with it verifying its authenticity. as my father said we will be painting it this weekend and i will post pictures of it after we are done.

yes, we will need alot of help with the wiring harness because it is lying on my floorboards right now.

right now i am in the process of cleaning the car which includes the degreasing of the entire car and then i will have to mask off the trunks and the inside and sand the outside and make it good looking before we paint.
we have the doors off and disassembled and we have to paint strip thoes because we think that the doors were repainted because the paint is now stripping and cracking.

my father and i have been reading about people that have taken the windshield out themselves and cracked it, so we have decided to just mask off the windshield.

there is no other glass on the car, and everythign that can come off has been taken off.
needless to say, we have alot of boxes with parts in them and lots of coffee cans full of nuts and bolts.

well ill keep you updated.

-rocket

put 5W motor oil in those coffee cans....bolts stay nice and clean when soaked in clean oil...give em a shake too.

take out and pour onto paper plate and paper towel and roll the bolts in the paper towel, wait 10 and use your bolts.

no rust.

b
r_towle
we are on either our third or fourth roll of MIG wire....cant remember....

A marathon of fabrication and welding....really glad its done...I need a rottisierre...bad...I hate wleding on my back....goatee gets a trim afterwards...

Anyways...We will post some salvation pics after the paint...

The nuts and bolts part is the same as the others...its the wiring and the LJet that is new to me....so...stay tuned for lots of questions....

BTW, I took out my car on a glorious ride, sunny day, crisp fall weather...40-60s here...

I was ripping down a back road,,,hitting the corners just right thinking...mmmm...I cant let my son drive one of these...this is to fast....

Rich
jim_hoyland
Great work ! Post pics after the paint !
r_towle
its official....wet sanding sucks...

these cars are so bumpy...

Sleep now...

Rich
r_towle
its painted....Il let Rocket show you the pics and color....it is his suprise..

Wow these cars are huge when you paint it inside and out......massive....lots of nooks and crannies.

All done...

Now for buffing and assembly.

Rich
Flat VW
I am looking forward to see the color selected.

John clap.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Nov 7 2005, 07:46 AM)
I am looking forward to see the color selected.

John clap.gif

boldblue.gif Me To!
r_towle
ok, we have a technical problem.

The digital camera (kodak DX6490) keeps resolving the color to a primary color...it is not picking up the correct color....

HELP...is there a way to force a digital camera to not correct the color...

Rich
gfulcher
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 7 2005, 09:33 PM)
ok, we have a technical problem.

The digital camera (kodak DX6490) keeps resolving the color to a primary color...it is not picking up the correct color....

HELP...is there a way to force a digital camera to not correct the color...

Rich

Hey Rich...

I can come over and snap some pictures with my camera... I've got full control of it's color-averaging ways! bwaaaaa haaaa haaaaaa..

(that, and I'll get a sneak peek of the final color, and sell the information to the 914club for MILLIONS).

Also, Abel - if you want to snag those seats and whatever else you find this weekend, I'm around... Rich - trade the two seats (one is missing the bottom cushion) for the additional 50 bucks I owe ya?

-greg-
r_towle
Greg, give him what he needs, deal.

HOW do I get this camera to do it though...is there a specific setting i should look for??

Rich
Rocket
alright well today we put the dash in, and the headlights. kinda. still have lots of wiring to do. and no idea how to wire up under the dashboard. and we havent even started on the motor. which has LJET FI and my father has no clue bout taht so there will be lots of questions regarding that when the time comes.
ill get pictures as soon as i can

-rocket
grasshopper
QUOTE (Rocket @ Nov 8 2005, 04:32 PM)
still have lots of wiring to do. and no idea how to wire up under the dashboard.

do you have another car you can look off of?? just pull the guages out of the housing and compare the wires.. same with all the rest. Listen...don't be afraid about wiring... im 14, and i just put a completly new harness in my car, put a battery in, and everything works correct. its pretty easy. If you have a question about wiring, just pm me, and i'll let you know.... good luck! smilie_pokal.gif
r_towle
finally, first before
r_towle
more before
r_towle
wrg
r_towle
dsfgsdfg
r_towle
asr
r_towle
and NOW!!!
r_towle
iophuioh
r_towle
ihouih
r_towle
uiohouh
markb
WOW! Now that's a color change! ohmy.gif
Rocket
i realllllllllly like it, gunna need some black though
grasshopper
hehe...missed a spot biggrin.gif . Looks great!!! hopefully mine will look that good one day dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.