Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking tranny intermediate plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
olav

My intermediate plate on my 901 tranny is seeping tranny fluid.

How does one go about stopping the leak?

Are there a couple of gaskets to use or some sort of liquid gasket.

Also, when I take off the rear tranny cover to fix this thing are there any suprises that come springing out that I should be aware of?

I'm thinking I can slid the intermediate plate off and apply the sealant and slide and re-assemble the whole thing again without too many issues.

Also, are there specific torque values when re-assembling?

Thanks.
jr91472
On what side of the intermediate plate is it leaking? On the end cover side (toward the back) or the gear stack side (toward the motor).

If it is just the end cap side, fairly easy to do. Just pull the end cap off (I forget how many 13mm nuts) and lay on a new paper gasket. I have never used any type of sealent, but others may dissagree. You will need to clean both surfaces thoroughly to get a flat and smooth mating surface.

Check out Bondo's thread in the classics for photo's

If it is the gear stack side.....a little more complicated.

JR
Red-Beard
If the tranny is in the car, when you pull the cover off, reverse will drop on the floor.

The best way to re-install reverse is to use grease as a temp glue to hold all of the pieces in place, including the washer which sits on the intermediate plate.

The manuals, etc do not suggest using sealant. I was told early on that greasing the intermediate plate before installing the paper gaskets would help. I now use a non-hardening gasket sealant and I do not get leaks.

If the gasket is between the outer cover and the intermediate plate, there is only 1 gasket. Just install. If the gasket is between the case and the intermediate plate, it is actually a shim. The shims are color coded. Make sure you replace the correct one(s). Sometimes more than 1 gasket is used!!!

James
Porsche Rescue
James, while on the subject of tranny leaks..........I have a persistant leak from the small plate on the bottom rear of the tailshifter in my six. Replaced the gasket last week and it still leaks. The plate seems to have a flat sealing surface. Any tricks/suggestions?
914GT
I'd suggest just retorqueing all the bolts/studs first and see if that takes care of the leaks. If it doesn't then pull it apart. Try the easy things first.
olav

Ok thanks.

1) I'll re-torque,

2) Replace easy one first if still leaking.

3) Let hard one leak till I get some balls. smile.gif
Stephane

I had the same problem, big oil leak from back end of tranny. I ended up taking it out of the car. I bought a tranny gasket & seal kit . I used a non hardening gasket dressing (loctite part# 2BR)along with the gasket between the inter. plate & housing. For the back cover I used Loctite form a gasket part# 26015. So far so good, I haven't seen a drop leak out. While I was at it, I also replaced every seal.

Stephane
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.