Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ride height - uneven
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
My 914/6 was level before I replaced the rear KYBs with Koni Yellow Adjustables.

Now it's not level. In the back, the right side is about 1.5" higher than the left.

I've inspected, and don't see that the springs are messed up - maybe I don't know what to look for. Springs went back into the side that they came out of. Both spring perches are set at the same "notch" on the shock (the middle one). The wheels aren't tilting out like the console is about to collapse.

It doesn't appear to affect ride quality - but I sure look like a dork.

What might the problem be? Never had this problem with shocks before.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Brad Roberts
Did you "zip tie" the top springs to the upper shock perches ??

Have you driven the car ??

B
ninefourteener
Maybe just settling??

I know when I bought my teener in Chicago.... the entire suspension was brand spanking new, driven like 3 or 4 miles, thats it.

By the time I got from chicago to Saint Louis, the car had settled about an inch lower... looks better.

Just a guesss.. otherwise, I have no idea
Joe Bob
The springs sit in a groove on the perches. If the car is lifted in the rear and they are stiff springs they can be displaced when the springs leave the seats. Lowering can be a challenge unless you have wire tied the spings to the seats before hand.

Also if your Konis have adjustable perches, you can adjust the ride height.
Lawrence
No, I didn't zip tie the springs in. Heck, I had to compress them down just to get the whole shock assembly together.

Yeah, I drove it like I stole it... last week for three days. I figured maybe it would settle into place - nope.
nebreitling
i assume that you didn't touch the front suspension?

just thinking about the torsion bar.
Brad Roberts
You have a spring not sitting in one of the perches (typically a top one)

B
Lawrence
The entire front suspension came out, cleaned up, powder coated.

It's *pretty close* to being right, but I wasn't going to try and dial it in anymore until I resolved the large discrepancy in the back.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Joe Bob
Swap them....see if that helps.
Lawrence
Hey B...

Should I drop the bottom perches a bit, and give the springs some slack? I had to push down hard on the top perch to get the nut on.

-R smoke.gif
Joe Bob
IF you have adjustable perches....it sounds like one is higher/lower than the other.

Lowering the perches, lowers the car....
Brad Roberts
I dont like where the cars sit when you install Koni's with Welt springs.. the cars look 4wd to me.. the Koni's dont have enough adjustment down for me. I always end up running the threaded collar conversion.

B
Brad Roberts
Did you make sure the springs where in the perches ?? you know.. twisted in correctly ??

If your springs where not loose... then I doubt they came ouf of alignment in the perch.

B
Lawrence
The springs are yellow - didn't see any numbers or brand names when I cleaned them up.

The perches at the bottom have three different positions. They both came set in the middle, so I left them there.

I think dropping the perch to the bottom position would give the spring some more movement. There is a significant amount of preload on those springs the way I've assembled them.

So... swap them and see what changes?
Brad Roberts
Swap them is the easiest...

tell us more about the front end:

Did you pull the control arms OFF the crossbar ??

The front ride hieght will effect the rear.

B
Lawrence
Yes, I pulled the control arms off the cross bar. Had to do that to powdercoat and replace bushings.

How does front ride height affect rear?
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 4 2003, 11:53 AM)
I dont like where the cars sit when you install Koni's with Welt springs.. the cars look 4wd to me.. the Koni's dont have enough adjustment down for me. I always end up running the threaded collar conversion.

B

I agree Brad, thats why I bought a threaded collar kit from Paragon a few days ago. Bilsteins have like six positions, and the Koni's have three.

BTW, did I mention that I think Progressive springs suck? I was wondering why I was understeering like a pig at sharp slow speed corners....
J P Stein
Diagonally......raising the rt front drops the left rear,yada.......
redshift
HAH!

How would you know JP?

In pictures I have seen of your car, the passenger front wheel is in the air.

wink.gif

M
J P Stein
[quote=ChrisReale,Aug 4 2003, 11:10 AM]

B [/QUOTE]
BTW, did I mention that I think Progressive springs suck? I was wondering why I was understeering like a pig at sharp slow speed corners.... [/quote]
"Supposedly", GPR has some non-progressive 180 lb springs in stock......they fooled me once with them effin' progressive 180 lbers, tho.
Aaron Cox
how do you know if they are progressive? explain.

are they wound loose on the bottom and tight on the top?
J P Stein
QUOTE(redshift @ Aug 4 2003, 11:15 AM)
HAH!

How would you know JP?

In pictures I have seen of your car, the passenger front wheel is in the air.

wink.gif

M

It must be an optical confusion.....kinda like them old time pics of cars with oval wheels or sumthin.
J P Stein
QUOTE(acox914 @ Aug 4 2003, 11:17 AM)
how do you know if they are progressive? explain.

are they wound loose on the bottom and tight on the top?

Ayup...or vice versa....ya get a decent ride, tho, but a guy going for 180 lb springs ain't looking for a smooth ride, IMO.
ChrisReale
Yup, what JP said. BTW anyone need a set of 180 pounders in great shape? cool.gif
Lawrence
Diagonally......raising the rt front drops the left rear,yada.......

Okay.. first I'll try raising the left-front a little bit. Maybe that will balance it out.

Small changes in front make larger changes in the back?
nebreitling
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Aug 4 2003, 11:33 AM)

i'm definitely not the expert here, but,

yes. at least it did w/ mine.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Aug 4 2003, 11:33 AM)

I dunno.....it would depend how stout your rear springs are, me thinks. I've never been that far out of whack...

Put the car on a level surface, start measuring. I measure to the doughnuts...prolly not the best idea, but it's all I got. In the front, double check to the front
T-bar mounts. Cheep, quick, and dirty corner ballance.
My car has a 1/4 inch twist....using the doughnuts.....last I checked. The measurements don't need to be the same at all four points, just side to side.
redshift
I have very good results dropping the front somewhere around 1.5 inches below the rear too, anyone else have a reason not to do that?

I level the car, then lower the front to add throttle-off oversteer until I am happy. Works better with rear bars, than withnot rear bars.. or whatever.

What springs are you guys using? 180#s would be a great joke to play on an unsuspecting friend.

smile.gif

M
airsix
> 180#s would be a great joke to play on an unsuspecting friend.

Not so funny when the unexpected wicked-oversteer put him in the ditch and kills him.

-Ben M.
redshift
Yeah, I hope I am not implicated, it wasn't my idea, I was just trying to give him kidney bruises.

M
Aaron Cox
well this brings up an interssting suspension question for me:

i want my car to have like ZERO body roll. i have koni reds up front - stock tbars. Rear i have bilsteins and 140 lb'rs.
i have a stock front swaybar to install.

how do i go about having a gokart for the street? i want this think to handle like its on rails!
im buying 5 lug conversion stuff to do this winter- so i can change t-bars easily. (911 front)
mskala
Lawrence,
Been there, the front most definitely affects the rear. If you are confident in
having the rear springs correctly in the perches, then put the rears on the
same slot and forget about them. Adjust the front to get close to level.
When/if you do corner weighting, you will not be necessarily level when
car is correct. Also, do you have sway bars? They could have preload.
ChrisReale
Handle on rails=un-fucking-comfortable on the street. But, since you axed.. 23mm torsion bars, 22mm or bigger front sway bar. 250# rear springs and 15 by 8 inch wheels with Goodyear racing slicks or Hoosiers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.