Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The reason why we use the correct fuel hose clamps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Someone asked the other day, and I just happened to have a sample of a fuel line hose I cut off recently that had both the correct flat-style FI hose clamp on one end, and the incorrect serrated-style hose clamp on the other. I dont know how long these clamps were installed (PO not me) but this is the resultant carnage...

JeffBowlsby
mad.gif
JeffBowlsby
happy happy Joy joy...
jimtab
Jeff, I'm as dumb as a post when it comes to auto stuff but we use the "wrong" clamps in plumbing and air applications all the time without catastrophic failures, I don't understand how deforming the outer ply endangers the connection, even the "flat" clamp deformed the outer ply but in both pictures the inner ply(s) seemed to be ok....what am I missing...I have several of these clamps on my car.
DJsRepS
What your missing is gas leaks caused by the hose getting loose as the hose squeezes and cuts its way through the serrated hose clamp. The flat OEM clamp although deforms the rubber hose lets no materal pass through it thus way less chance of gas leak or fire.
Allan
QUOTE (DJsRepS @ Sep 18 2005, 05:26 PM)
What your missing is gas leaks caused by the hose getting loose as the hose squeezes and cuts its way through the serrated hose clamp. The flat OEM clamp although deforms the rubber hose lets no materal pass through it thus way less chance of gas leak or fire.

Yep. agree.gif
smooth_eddy
My next project is to R&R all my fuel lines 100%. I can not find a source of FI clamps from my FLAPS that are stainless. Where can I find some? Eddy
Air_Cooled_Nut
It looks to me like the hose clamps were tightened too much (too tight).
Tobra
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Sep 18 2005, 04:57 PM)
My next project is to R&R all my fuel lines 100%. I can not find a source of FI clamps from my FLAPS that are stainless. Where can I find some? Eddy

Pelican is the only reasonable place that had nice hose clamps that I have seen, I am going to buy a sack at about a buck each
rhodyguy
a buck a piece @ the bird? ohmy.gif no way. eddy, buy them by the box @ Williams Oil Filter Service in tacoma. fuel line too.

k
smooth_eddy
Thanks Kevin... smilie_pokal.gif Eddy
Tobra
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 19 2005, 03:51 AM)
a buck a piece @ the bird? ohmy.gif no way. eddy, buy them by the box @ Williams Oil Filter Service in tacoma. fuel line too.

k

but I am not in WA, will have to look at some similar local shops
rhodyguy
for locals...WOFS also has the correct belts for the alt. 2 belts, 30 clamps, and 25' of hose was $105 and change. the per foot cost on the fl was still cheaper than the bird + no shipping costs. i asked if there would be a futher price break if i bought larger quantities. the answer was yes. is there any market for a correct clamp and hose package (not cut to length), postage (priority mail) included in the price? yes, i would make a few bucks for my time, gas, purchasing, and mailing.

k
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 19 2005, 03:51 AM)

k

Those aren't the right clamps, either. The real clamps have turned up edges which further prevent cutting into the hose. The Cap'n
rhodyguy
you are mistaken. the edges are rolled up. the camera goes out of focus when i zoom in. so it's hard to see. next comment.

k
jonwatts
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 19 2005, 07:20 AM)
you are mistaken. the edges are rolled up. the camera goes out of focus when i zoom in. so it's hard to see. next comment.

k

It's hard to see in the picture cuz those clamps are so friggin bright they're like jewelry! Gotta get some of those, someday, when I need 'em.
davep
QUOTE (Air_Cooled_Nut @ Sep 18 2005, 05:05 PM)
It looks to me like the hose clamps were tightened too much (too tight).

Well, that is what happens when you use the wrong ones. You get into a nasty loop of tighten, extrude, leak, tighten, etc. Get my drift? Sometimes you get fire right after leak and before tighten can happen. Actually, to call those clamps is a bit of a misnomer because they fail to clamp after a short time.
Mark Henry
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 19 2005, 10:20 AM)

k

I've tried those clamps and found they didn't clamp hard enough...you could still spin the hose on the fitting. Maybe they work on non-OEM hose but they suck on OEM.

I haven't tried them yet but you can get the screw type with a teflon cover...Right now I have enough good wurth clamps for my needs.
rhodyguy
they get plenty tight on the Gates fuel line.

k
Tobra
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Sep 19 2005, 07:41 AM)
I've tried those clamps and found they didn't clamp hard enough...you could still spin the hose on the fitting. Maybe they work on non-OEM hose but they suck on OEM.

I haven't tried them yet but you can get the screw type with a teflon cover...Right now I have enough good wurth clamps for my needs.

Where, pray tell, did you obtain these nice, high quality clamps? Found these

ABA Clamps

Which look pretty nice. Bag of 50 for $55, which would be a good idea, as I need to have hose clamps for 7 mm fuel hose for two vehicles
Mike D.
i usually get mine clamps at the local Pick Your Part where they are...eehhumm....FREE. biggrin.gif

-Mike D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.