Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear trunk, pull cable blues.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I have the reflector and the rear trunk cable pull. I love the look, but the trunk release works less than perfect. I’ve thought about installing a solenoid, but I have been warned that they have been known to fail and that I should install an emergency cable anyways. The pull cable would be fine if I can get it to work correctly.

First the trunk doesn’t pop-up, it stays down and just locks again. I’ve tried adjusting it and stretching the spring, it just won’t give me that pop. Sometimes I enlist a stranger to help open it, but most of the time I pull the cable while reaching for the trunk lid, it’s quite a stretch. I also have to give it a snappy yank and I’m afraid that I may break it one day. unsure.gif

I would just like to know how/where others have mounted this cable, your release handle and how/if you got it to work like it came from the factory. Any help, pic’s or suggestions are appreciated.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 8 2003, 12:48 PM)
I have the reflector and the rear trunk cable pull. I love the look, but the trunk release works less than perfect.

no real insights. i just got the electrical one.
the PO had no problems with it, he said it worked fine for him.
he just didn't like the reflector and wanted to go back to the original key-lock. anyways, it'll take a while before i get it in and be able to give you a report ...

Andy
EdwardBlume
An easy way to go is modify the cable so it goes straight down. Loop the cable so all you have to do is reach under the bumper, pull the wire, and lift the trunk. ar15.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(cavwpguy @ Feb 8 2003, 01:14 PM)
An easy way to go is modify the cable so it goes straight down. Loop the cable so all you have to do is reach under the bumper, pull the wire, and lift the trunk. ar15.gif

seems like a good emergency idea, just in case the electrical one fails ...
campbellcj
I would actually love to replace the solenoid on mine with just a short/simple pull cable. I may put a glass or carbon lid on the car later anyway, mounted w/ pins.

You're welcome to the solenoid (cheap) as soon as I get around to the cable install.

I thought about ditching the whole reflector setup, but the rear panel was drilled for it so I'm kinda committed unless I go for the swiss-cheese look.
Dave_Darling
Always have a backup method for getting into the trunk. The solenoids sometimes fail, but so do cables. Having a backup is just a good idea.

I've got to figure out how to rig a cable backup for my stock latch... Hmm...

--DD
Mark Henry
OK, a back-up sounds like a real good idea!

What about the spring? Does your trunk "pop" or does it just sit there like a limp noodle?
Van914
tongue.gif Yes, do a cable back up. I didn't have one when the regular cable came unbolted from the latch. I attached a thin steel cable to the latch and drilled a hole in the trunk floor. Now it I need to just reach up under the bumber and pull and open the trunk. If you want I do have a new solenoid for sale that has never been used with wiring and button.
Mike D.
My cable was mounted behind upper left corner of the back pad, in the area where the drivers seat belt comes from. I once had a dead spring and would have to pull the cable with left hand and reach as far back as I could, to the corner of the trunk lid and lift with my right hand. I'm sure I looked kinda funny in parking lots. I bought a new trunk latch and it solved that problem.
I've had my car with the pannel and cable for about 7 years. I've recently been locked out of my trunk several times due to the release mechanism moving and/or not lining up. In fit of rage devil.gif I ripped the pannel off car. The two pieces of plastic had become separated and the pannel was getting wavy anyway. (justifying my actions, anger management...)

I now have the push button lock, a gold 914 script and the swiss cheese look.

An emergency pull cable under the rear bumper sound like a really good idea....Oh well....

-Mike D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.