Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swaybar questions for the V8 guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
I have no swaybars yet but with my new and limited 914 driving experience noticed that the car sits very low and has little sway as is. Of course i'm used to driving around a lifted 4X4 Tacoma daily so anything is way better. laugh.gif

So far i temporarily put in a few wood spacers in the rear coils to get it up to a driveable rear height. =-O (here comes the wads of paper thrown my way)

I do love to drive a "flat" car and know when I start putting more speed into turns with new Kumho Extas theres going to be more sway.

Also, i noticed some frame torquing on accelerating. Does anyone know if a welded in 4 point will be good enough?

The shocks are very firm and in great condition.

For the people who have V8's, what would be the first thing to do in the handling department?

I'm thinking adjustable front and light rear sways... Yes? No? biggrin.gif

Andyrew
Street autox or track?

I'd say 180's in the rear, a rear sway bar, a front sway bar (19mm or adjustable) and at least 19mm t bars.
Thats the neutral setting that I would use for street.

Autox I would step up to 200's on the back with same setup, maybe even 250's.(low speeds dont like v8's, They need stiff rears to get the weight to transfer or else you'll get a whole lot of push.... watch my auto x video's.)

Track I would go 200's in the back, 21mm t bars up front, and a big sway bar up front as well. (you'll be at higher speeds and wont need as much rear end as you will need front end stick.)

Help?

OH ya, koni yellows or something adjustable that you can soften up when cruzing, and tighten up when you want some stick.

But the first thing would be 180's or more in the back with adjustable spring perches (colemanracing.com)

Oh ya, as far as chassi twisting... Get the long kit from engman..
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=4&t=12376
Andrew
skline
I run 21mm torsion bars up front, 19mm front adjustable sway bar, rear stock sway bar and 180 springs. Mine seems to handle ok but I have not really pushed it yet. Someday.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (skline @ Sep 18 2005, 08:13 PM)
I run 21mm torsion bars up front, 19mm front adjustable sway bar, rear stock sway bar and 180 springs. Mine seems to handle ok but I have not really pushed it yet. Someday.

Hey Scott,

Man I can totally feel ya' when U say you haven't pushed it yet.

I know I won't REALLY push it until I can afford to break parts. =-) next AX season when all the bugs have been worked out.
Andyrew
Rogger, if your going to autox, I suggest 250's or 200's with a rear sway bar on the rear.

OH ya, make sure you put good brake pads on it.. You'll want to be able to throw the back end around when braking if needbee...

Andrew

BTW scott, how does it handle vs the 2.0 you had?

Im curious.
skline
That is a tough question to answer. The 2 liter car I had at the WCC was awesome. The tires made a huge difference also. It just had 140's with Koni's all around, factory sway bars and the RT615's. That car stuck like glue to the road. The engine was it's weakest point. With the 6 that Dan installed, I bet it is much faster now and would do much better. However, Dan sold off the tires and wheels that were on it but with the right tires, that car was great. The Chalon is still under 150 miles total on the car so I am still working out little bugs here and there and am afraid to really push the car in the corners. I changed everything on the car from the suspension all the way up. Nothing is stock anymore. And since I did it all myself, I am still at the leary stage of testing to make sure I did it right. Even I can make a mistake.
ewdysar
I'm running 200# rears with adjustable Red Koni's set to soft, no rear sway bar. 911SC front struts with stock 911 Tbars and the under rack 911 sway bar.

My car is stiff (for now) and I've got the Engman long kit to install. I'm still debating the GT stiffening kit but I'll probably go there too.

The car handles better than everything that I can remember driving, the Kumho 205's are my current limiting factor. I'll have to get some track time to figure out the car's envelope.

Eric
Dr. Roger
Eric,

So you are talking about your V8 right?

Yep tires are a bigge I think. I also like your idea of little to no sway in the rear. Just stiffer springs.

and a little torsion bar in the front. adjustable.

Andyrew, now that you've got some real AX time on your 914 you say go stiffer on the springs and torsions on both ends. sounds real good.

hmmmm, so i guess i'm thinking now to do, in order ,
blow up the existing tires,
buy some kumho's or toyo's
upgrade rear springs
install adjustable perches on rear
light torsion on rear
adj on front.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.