Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint for valences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
What is the correct color for the front and rear valences on my car. I don't really mind if it is out of a rattle can, just want to pull the front one off, clean them both up, prime, paint and not have to deal with it again.
Dave_Darling
Satin black. Wurth underbody schutz is supposed to be the "perfect match" for CW types; most of us don't mind generic-o satin black rattlecan...

--DD
Mark Henry
and not have to deal with it again.

The rattle can stuff will chip and if you power wash it peel right off. So " not have to deal with it again" maybe a bit of a pipe dream.
Trekkor
I use Rustoleum's gloss black lacquer for my rockers and air dams.

I had the rocker professionally prepped and "rocker schutz" applied.

The only place where I'm having problems is on the leading edges where the gravel is blasting the rockers to bare metal. ( sticky tires throw gravel )

KT
rhodyguy
krylon semi-flat black. it holds up pretty well.

k
Howard
Purists hate this, but for a driver or track car, I really like it. It does not come off ANYTHING so be careful. Mine were a mess.
Herculiner
Before
Howard
After. Hides lots of little imperfections.
Aaron Cox
damn howard - those rockers were fuglee!
IronHillRestorations
Dupli-color semi-gloss black is a good choice for OEM appearance, and is usually easy to find. I mix standard gloss and flat implement enamel to get the low gloss finish I want, and add some hardener, this is for a spray rig though.

As with any painting, the prep work is the key to a good finish and holdout. Wash with soap and water first, clean with Prep-sol or Klix 88 before any sanding. You want to make sure you remove any and all grease, wax, and silicones before you start sanding, or you'll just push that kind of junk all over the part and have problems.
Howard
Hey, that was after I ground off the bondo, filled the holes and hammered the crap out of them. This if fuglee..
Tobra
Thanks for the replies, idea popped into my head, how about powdercoating? That stuff is pretty bulletproof, and I think it can be done in a semi-glossy finish.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Tobra @ Sep 19 2005, 12:25 PM)
Thanks for the replies, idea popped into my head, how about powdercoating? That stuff is pretty bulletproof, and I think it can be done in a semi-glossy finish.

got an oven that big??? unsure.gif
Mike D.
I took mine to Pyramid powder coating and got the satin black, looks great...
-Mike D.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Howard @ Sep 19 2005, 10:00 AM)
...It does not come off ANYTHING so be careful. ....
Herculiner

You got that right!!! lol2.gif

Never get it on your Hootus....

--DD
Midtowner
Hootus? wacko.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Hammy
I sanded mine down and then put on black rattlecan primer... Then a clear coat sealer over that. It looks better than "okay" and it has yet to chip. Actually it's held up really well ohmy.gif but I'm sure it'd easily chip if you go offroad rolleyes.gif But how often do ya do that cool.gif
Tobra
QUOTE (trekkor @ Sep 19 2005, 09:33 AM)
I use Rustoleum's gloss black lacquer for my rockers and air dams.

I had the rocker professionally prepped and "rocker schutz" applied.

The only place where I'm having problems is on the leading edges where the gravel is blasting the rockers to bare metal. ( sticky tires throw gravel )

KT

Why not put like a little mudflap in front of it, paint the flap with bedliner and clip it onto the front of the rocker, protect the rocker, and the whole car.
Trekkor
Mudflaps, eh? idea.gif

A guy who a/x's his nice 914 regularly, protects all the inner fender surfaces and rocker leading edges with blue tape.

KT
jonwatts
SEM Chip Guard will give you the correct look. To apply it properly you want to lob it onto the rockers like you're spraying silly string. Play around with it and you'll get the idea.

Tho I like the herculiner approach, that might be better if you're running shlicks.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.