Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yes, those GT3 Cup cars are fast
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john rogers
We had a low key event at the CA Speedway this past weekend and some of the PRG racers from up north were invited. All the Porsches were put in one group, about 33 of us. The fastest car there, including the Indy cars and BOSS cars was a GT3 from the bay area at about 1:30 flat!!! I was zooming around turns 1 and 2 with my foot to the floor at 7200 RPM (133 MPH) and Mulvihill pasted me doing about 170 or so and I though my engine had quit! Those guys sure do move, but I still think our little 2.0L cars sound better?!
brant
I spent the weekend at a PCA club race in the GT run group with a few GT3's...

I got lapped twice in the feature.

but the comment about sound.. I very much agree.
they are annoying even.
one of the speedvision 911 cup cars was pitted next to us.

unfortunately the way he parked his exhaust was pointed right at us. And also unfortunately, I spend way too much time underneath our car trying to fix it (dropped the motor 3 times on saturday)

That !@#$%#$&^ would start his car up and rev it, while I was laying on the ground about 15 feet directly behind. At one point it actually HURT it was so loud. I was quite annoyed with him.

brant
machina
We had 80 cars on the track at Homestead early this summer. About 6 were factory supercup cars but red car behind me was an RSR spec GT3.

That car lapped the supercup cars in about 5 laps. The supercup cars lapped me on the 2nd lap, sorry Jake sad.gif
brant
Nice picture!

David, when you show that picture make sure you point out that you are sweeping around the outside and passing the silver and black car!

brant
machina
QUOTE (brant @ Sep 19 2005, 11:34 AM)
David, when you show that picture make sure you point out that you are sweeping around the outside and passing the silver and black car

right brant, I like your version but I seem to remember holding my line and praying that the panoz did not try and tear me a new one.

I really did not like racing with this group. (PBOC) We all run together and even though we are in different classes there is just too much of a speed differential between the front and back of the pack. I spent the whole race watching my mirrors, made it hard to concentrate on actually racing.

Club racing with these guys has become a pissing match between the guys with big $$$. Used to be a fast club car was a nice built up 911. Now the guys that can afford it have moved up to factory built cars and there are quite a few down here.

I mean, we had 2 le mans spec 911's running with us. I am sticking with SCCA vintage and production from now on.
john rogers
Here's the start of the trophy race on Sunday. At least I'm not last!!!
machina
this was the start of that race, all these cars were in my rear view mirror the within the next couple laps wacko.gif
Speedster07
Why wouldn't they be staggered into classes
john rogers
Good question, there was one group but about 8 or 10 classes within the whole group. For example I am in 4L or the 2L 914-6 class (non tube framed) and a 914-4 (non tube framed) is in 2J. If a car is tube framed (over 6 tie in pts) then it goes into the medium bore class. A 944 GTR might run in the Can-Am class against McLarens and Shadows! It can get confusing but I like finding some cars I am comfortable with and working with them and it makes for great video.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.