Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whew!! Back up.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Curvie Roadlover
The BBS quit on me mid - post. I was startin' to get the shakes.
Brad Roberts
Andy will have to let us in on this one.. It wasnt me (this time).

B
Curvie Roadlover
The rumor on the other BB was that you were getting your hair done. blink.gif
redshift
But things said on other BBS should not count against one... in consideration of later business deals.

What color is it?

M
GWN7
What "Other" BBS? wink.gif
seanery
That's funny!
When this bbs is down you go to another bbs and talk about THIS ONE!! haha!!
Qarl
Maybe he sprayed some WD40 on the server! Sorry... couldn't resist.

No offense should be taken by anyone who's ever sprayed WD40 on anything by accident.
KaptKaos
Karl, LOL laugh.gif
SirAndy
actually, inetinfo.exe died for no apparent reason.
dr. watson catched it and sent me an alert, so i went in and re-booted the server.
just another day in paradise ...

the hair is flaming red (mine, not brads) ...
and no, i didn't use WD-40 on it.

Andy
Bruce Allert
Trivia Question:
What was WD-40 called prior to its being named what it is known as today? idea.gif

Answer:
FU-39 blink.gif

ba-da-bum beerchug.gif
bruce
DNHunt
I meet a guy once whose job was to find new uses for WD-40. He told me of some pretty stange ideas people sent in. My favorite was as a propellant for potatoes shot out of cannons. Light it off and watch the potato soar. Way too much free time there.

Dave
redshift
Oh my god... potato gun.

You have to experience potato gun, drunk, and preferably next door to a cemetary.

M
Qarl
Oh sheez... Potato guns. I had one many years ago... Piezo electric ignition. Zippo fuel works the best!!!
Aaron Cox
well. potato guns rock. I built a pneumatic powered one for science fair. I went all the way to state competition with it. Crank the sucker to 150 psi and open the solenoid and you got a couple hundred yards...lots of fun
airsix
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 4 2003, 05:19 PM)
Andy will have to let us in on this one.. It wasnt me (this time).

B

Get a real operating system. (yours smells like NT4 sp3).
Try a BSD or Linux. Properly configured you'll stop having
these da*& outages.
-Ben M.
Mueller
I never made a spud gun, we made cannons that shot tennis balls, made from soup cans taped together !!!!

Lighter fluid was the propellant smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(airsix @ Aug 5 2003, 09:16 AM)
Get a real operating system. (yours smells like NT4 sp3).
Try a BSD or Linux. Properly configured you'll stop having
these da*& outages.
-Ben M.

too much hassle to switch now. NT4 SP6 with all the neat little patches ...

i run about 10 websites off that server, some commercial and heavy database use. most of them were built in ASP using SQL Server as a database. as much as i would like to go linux, i don't think i can talk all those guys into rebuilding their (eCommerz) websites just because i want a different OS ...

here's a thought, what if they PAY ME to change all the code? haha, won't happen. rolleyes.gif

anywho, NT is holding up pretty good so far. i have worked with NT server farms in the past (as well as unix, linux, bsd, mac, as400, sun etc.) and i have to say that this is actually one of the more stable windows boxes ...

might be time to upgrade to windows2000 Advanced server, i run that inhouse since they released SP3 and it seems to be stable as well ...

later,
Andy
airsix
Hi Andy, I didn't realize the history behind it. I thought this was a standalone box just running 914club. Makes more sense now.
-Ben M.
-P-
finger.gif to windows for this type of environment. .NET and MSSQL are cool, but those are heavy on hardware and licensing costs.

FreeBSD and Apache. smile.gif
redshift
Hey now..... let's not degenerate into complete geekdom.

Let's all get a Macintosh.

M
Brad Roberts
Andy..

I dont have advanced server.. but I have 2K server. It runs good at my house and has for 3 years.

I have a box I can now "give up" for the cage.

It also sound like we need to order one of the AutoView commanders... remote power off/on thru a IP.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 5 2003, 08:49 PM)
It also sound like we need to order one of the AutoView commanders... remote power off/on thru a IP.

yes!
that would be very nice ...

i have win2k AS here, update of NT4 is straight forward, you just need to shut the server down for 3 hours or so (yuk) ...

i'm getting a backup server by the end of the week with some more HD space (6 x 80gig), same configuration otherwise ...

we can drop off your box anytime,
Andy
Brad Roberts
OK... let me get it rebuilt. I'll do it tomorrow evening. We can migrate the BBS and site onto my box.

Let me check tomorrow to see what I can get a Autoview Commander for price wise.

B
Scott Carlberg
I have absolutely NO freaking idea what in the HELL you guys are
talking about here... Yes, I know THAT, something about computers. duh

But, this just sounded funny to me:

"We can migrate the BBS...onto my box." laugh.gif
mikester
go go solaris box...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.