Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lightening flywheel on a 2.7/6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
I pulled the blown 2.7 out of my teener this weekend. The replacement 2.7 is scheduled to arrive this Thursday or Friday.

What are the alternatives for lightening the flywheel? It appears that the only area where material can be removed is the back side.

Also ... What is a good source for an aluminum pressure plate?
ArtechnikA
901 cup-style or 911/915 plate-style flywheel?

915-style can be quite aggressively lightened by scalloping and drilling.

but for practical matters, either way, the short answer is probably "Fidanza" ...

Pelican and Vertex seem to have good prices on the aluminum stuff.
Root_Werks
I recently installed a lightened flywheel (914-6 style) in a customers 2.7 car. He got it from Patrick Motorsports. The engine really "snaps" on and off throttle now. It sounds bad-ass. When you shut the motor off, it just stops. But warning, the lighter a flywheel gets, the less energy it stores. Depends on the driving you will be doing. If it is mostly acceleration, shifting through the gears, the stock flywheels work well because of all the stored engery they have. Plus they help to smooth out the idle ect.

The PM flywheel looked like swiss cheese, and so far, has worked great through a handfull of track events he has taken the car to. wink.gif I don't know what he paid for it though. idea.gif
Eddie914
It's the 901 "cup" style flywheel.

Thanks

Eddie
J P Stein
Back in the old days of drag racin' guys with high winding
SBCs (like 9k rpm 301) would use a heavy fly wheel (40 ish lbs) to help them launch as they had little torque to speak of.

Guys with BBCs would use a light flywheel as they had a shit load of torque, but more rocipricating mass spin up.

Now days that you have 9k rpm BBCs.....who knows?? confused24.gif....but I suspect they use heavy ones for them monster tiars they run.
drew365
I also have the Patrick lightened flywheel. But, because of circumstances beyond my control I've only done one track event this year. It ran very well that weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.