Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Way way O T
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Downunderman
My wife will be there from about 14 to 23 October with her sister, visting our son who is doing an internship at the UN. They just want to make sure he's brushing his teeth. They have been searching around Craigslist looking for an apartment around midtown or upper east, but without much luck. They just want something comfortable with 2 beds. If anyone has any contacts please (or an unused apartment to rent) PM me. They could always stay in a hotel but would prefer a bit more room etc., hence apartment.

How
Howard
Howard, don't think you will have much luck for a short term furnished place. My daughter used to work for these folks; you may want to give them a try.
Citi
lapuwali
Finding housing in Manhatten is an expensive proposition. Unless you happen to stumble across a millionaire who's going to be out of town for that period, you'll find any apt you get will be *smaller* than the typical midtown hotel room. The hotel room will only lack a kitchen. $400-600/night are a typical rates, though you can usually get some deals for a stay of several nights, esp. if it's over a weekend. The Helmsley Midtown isn't a bad place for the price, and is a couple of blocks from Grand Central.

I knew three people who had Manhatten apts 15 years ago. One lived in the east 70s, and paid $2000/mo for one room with a "galley kitchen" (picture a hallway narrow enough that you couldn't open the fridge and the oven at the same time), and one normal sized bathroom. Total size, perhaps 250sq.ft. Another had an apt on the Upper West Side, with two bedrooms, perhaps 700sq.ft in total, for $3000/mo after 20 years of rent control keeping the price down, and the same apt would easily have been $4000/mo on the open market. 15 years ago, mind. The third person roughly split these two.

Rooms in the Helmsley were bigger than the first apt., and were (at that time), only $295/night at the highest rate.
Eric_Shea
Just Priceline the Hilton Towers for $135... that's what I do for the city.
Downunderman
Thanks guys, all noted.
SP9146
I’ve found some good rates at the Hudson hotel. “Trendy”, nice part of town (near Central Park), very lively nightlife.

Rooms are smallish unless you can get one of the corner rooms. I negotiated for one of those at the regular room price because I was staying several days.
Eric_Shea
Small-ISH? laugh.gif

You're a very understated man. biggrin.gif

Very cool hotel indeed...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.