Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought a Stock Radio... Now What
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914orRust
I bought a stock (I think) radio on Ebay, but I have no clue how to install it. I have a 74 914 that did not come with a stereo installed. There aren't any wires around the radio area of the dash to indicate how a previous install was handled. I've installed stereos in other cars, but this one has 3 wires and thats it (see the picture for details). The color scheme is not what I'm used to either. Does anyone have experience installing these radios? If so, which wires go to the power, ground, etc?

Thank you, in advance, for any suggestions.

user posted image
Qarl
Yep, that looks like one of the dealer option radios. Nice find.

You may need to fab some adapters for the wiring to the speakers.

Looks like a trailer hitch wiring plug on that radio. confused24.gif

Connection should be simple

You should have +12v (should be marked) and ground (also marked)

And then two sets of speaker outputs... And an antenna plug.

It's been a while since I've looked at one. I believe a regular banana plug might fit in the back for the speaker outputs. Shoot a photo of the back and you can get more help.

Or perhaps someone whose BTDT will chime in.
914orRust
Thank you Qarl for the speedy reply.

The wires shown in the picture are the only wires coming out of the radio.

There is an area to insert the antenna into the back, but thats it -- hence my confusion. I can take a picture tonight, but I don't think it's going to make much of a difference.

Plus, the wires don't have any indicator on them as to what they are. Very strange.

Thanks again for the advice.
Qarl
The wiring on these things is overly simplified... the three wires there are most likely for the speakers..

One is the speaker ground (probably the brown one).

The white is for left and the red is for right speaker, or vice versa.

Someone will chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Then you should have a screw on the back for ground... Just look for the little symbol that looks like an upside down christmas tree... and then there "should" be either a plug or something for +12V to come from the fuse block to power the radio.

Without seeing the back.. and depending on that wiring harness, it could be that the harness there was rigged for the power, and ground, and something else, but I highly doubt it.

lapuwali
I'd say the stock stereo is probably mono, so two wires for the one speaker, and one (red) wire for power. The chassis itself probably grounds directly to the body, or there's a ground screw or spade terminal on the radio body somewhere.

On 914s: red is unswitched power, brown for grounds, black for switched power. You'll find some open fuse terminals on the fusebox connected to unswitched power. You can run one female spade terminal and a red wire over to the radio to hook to that connector.
Eric_Shea
That's the common speaker output of the generation. I can check to see if I have a female version that you can wire up. Karl should be correct with regard to the common ground and the left and right.

Correction. James is probably right. Mono. If I recall the post is part of the rear support. There's an 8m post on the bulkhead behind the radio. A strap mounts to that and the radio for ground. (I think)
Qarl
Without seeing, then James could be right.

I installed a similar looking radio, and it was stereo and had the funky wiring as I mentioned.

I did some searching. If that's an old Frankfurt, then this could be some wiring instructions

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/fr...rankfurt_us.php
914orRust
Thank you for all the suggestions and advice. I really appreciate it.

Excellent Blaupunkt manual find!

I will take a picture of the back tonight and post it.

There is a post on the bulkhead. There is s screw that comes out of the back of the stereo. I would think that is supposed to handle the ground? I'm not sure.

Thanks again.
914orRust
Hi everyone. Sorry, I was not able to upload a picture of the back of the radio last night due to a family issue that came up.

I will do it tonight.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.