Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torqued....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
applescotty
I need a torque wrench. Read various reccomendations about what to get. Mine will be for home shop use, probably rebuild my engine eventually, work on my other cars, etc. The clicker type seem nice, and easier to use in different orientations (don't have to be able to see the gauge). But, I've heard that they occasionally need to be calibrated. A beam type is maintenance free, and cheaper, but a little harder to use. Any opinions? Types, brands, etc?
TimT
Get a 3/8 beam type.. and a 1/2 clicker type....... then your basically good to go
vortrex
I have the craftsman "clicker" type. works fine. can't imagine I would need to get it calibrated. I mean, how much does one use a torque wrench anyways and how far off could it get?
scotty
Get a 3/8 beam type.. and a 1/2 clicker type....... then your basically good to go

Yeah... and a beam type 1/4" that's in inch-pounds
Aaron Cox
i have both sizes in clicker craftsman. they work good. driving.gif
Eric Taylor
I'm gona probably be buying one this week to finish off the clutch job. How much does one cost? I've been told the clicker one is the best. I believe they are hydrolic? That's what I was told at least.
Eric
Curvie Roadlover
Back it off to "0" torque when not in use and it won't need re-calibrating (at least not as often).
applescotty
Thanks for all the advice. FYI, sears is having a sale on their clicker torque wrenches until the 9th. Normally $69, on sale for $49.
Mueller
clicker style all the way..........

I've got a 1/4" drive in-lb clicker, 3/8 drive ft-lb and of course everyone should have a 1/2" drive ft-lb clicker tq wrench for thier lug bolts/nuts !!!!

Just remember to do the conversion correct if you are using a ft-lb wrench for a in-lb application...a buddy of mine cracked his transmission case when he cranked a bolt to 25 ft-lb instead of 25 in-lb, LOL
scotty
I've got a 1/4" drive in-lb clicker,

Cool! Where'd you get it?
TheCabinetmaker
Keep the clickers in th box it comes in and don't drop it! dropping it will screw the calibration.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.