Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 2 seater for the wife (long)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brew
First, a little history: When I first met my wife some 15 years ago, she was all about RX7s, and was on her 3rd one. I've always had trucks, bikes, and musclecars since we've met. Since that time, she's moved on to Audi 5000s, full size Blazers, and now her latest is an Eldorado (which she loves BTW).

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, when I drag home a derelict 914 that needs a little work. She hates it. Doesnt want anything to do with it, and is seriously questioning my judgment in buying such an automobile.

Last week, after I got the majority of the bugs worked out, I took her for a top-off ride around a few of the nicer neighborhoods near here. I did my best to not drive like some wanna-be boy racer, just took it easy around a few roundabouts. She warmed up to it.....a little.

Then, today, out of the blue, she calls me and tells me she wants her own 2 seat sportscar! Sweeeet!! No, unfortunately, she doesn't want a 914, too....uncivilized. She does like the Audi TT and the 350Z, and is willing to look at BMW Z3s and Boxsters.

So, to the point, does anyone have any info, good or bad, they'd be willing to share on the following cars? Any cars in the same class that I'm overlooking? Which would you choose?

Used BMW Z3 (Likely a 2.5)
Used Porsche Boxster (probably not an S)
Nissan 350Z
Used Audi TT
Pontiac Solstice
lapuwali
Used Miatas are cheap and very durable. Get a '99-'00 and it will run for years trouble-free. They're plenty fast, handle better than anything else on your list, and can be picked up for $8-9K.
Brew
She doesn't like any of the other Jap stuff, styling-wise. We took a S2000 for a test drive a couple of years ago, but she thought it was ugly. No Mazdas, Hondas, or Yotas, please. They dont have a high enough "cool factor".
Brando
Ask her what she would like...

Nothing Japanese/Chinese? There goes 2/3rds of your options.

BMW Z3, Porsche Boxster, Audi 1.8T...

What the hell am I saying, you're asking a bunch of MEN to car shop for a WOMAN... Of course she's not going to like anything!

There's always...

70's or 80's 911 (Carerra) Targa (not cabrio).
Brew
Contraire, Brando, she's super easy to shop for! Just go to any dealership, find the most expensive car on the lot, and that's the one she wants! Caddy? XLR, please. BMW? Either the 6 or 7 series. Audi? A8, of course. See, it's really not that difficult! wink.gif

I guess I'm just looking for opinions on the above cars from people that like that style cars.
Mueller
I saw a brand new re-styled Miata yesterday...I really liked it...

For a new car and for the money, I like the new Pontiac Solstice or even the Saturn version of it........

Hawktel
Boxster seems cool.

Can't say any of ther others are appealing. Maybe the Z3.

And its not a german build thing, I think a Miata is a better buy than both of them laugh.gif
sgomes
Original Mini Cooper. End of story.
effutuo101
Hmm, my wife would go for the Boxter or the Z4. Also there is that zip spiffy new ride from Saturn and Pontiac. There is a wait list for those...My wife is old school..She likes Ghias.
Tobra
Does it have to have air conditioning?

How about one of these. Perhaps a Beck Spyder

I can tell you, a very nice car, and probably in your price range.
Flat VW
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 19 2005, 03:26 PM)
Used Miatas are cheap and very durable.  Get a '99-'00 and it will run for years trouble-free.  They're plenty fast, handle better than anything else on your list, and can be picked up for $8-9K.

Sad but true, ooh Miatas smash.gif

John

P.S. I dislike Miatas the nemesis of the 914..... slap.gif
sgomes
Ok, my last offer:

Ariel Atom
jimtab
If you go bmtroubleyou be sure to get one with the big M motor....MUCH nicer, a buddy of mine took me for a ride in his....I'd kill him handling but damn, he can fly... aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.