Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glue residue removal question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
OK, at the risk of sounding like a question on the 911 board of "that other list", what is a good chemical or technique to use to get rid of racer tape glue residue and/or black tire marks from (a) painted body panels and more importantly (b) plastic lenses?

I have had good success with "Bug & Tar Remover" on painted panels but that, Windex and Simple Green haven't budged the crap on the turn signal lenses. Obviously I don't want to melt the plastic so have been afraid to try Brad's two favorite concoctions: Goof Off or Brake Cleaner.
Brad Roberts
No No.. dont use them together..

Goof off works the best. Ask Sean and all the others who helped us clean the MoM GT3RS. They buy it by the gallon and stick it in a larger spray bottle.

Works great.

B
vortrex
I don't know where you can find this, but my mom's a nurse and brings home small bottles of this pink liquid they use for cleaning the sticky leftovers of bandages off people. it works well and is gentle, would be great for your lenses. I have some in my car now, I will look at the name tomorrow if you want it.
MarkV
WD-40 laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
Nah...

You need something that breaks down the proteins of the "bug bodies".. which Goof Off does also.

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(MarkV @ Aug 4 2003, 08:12 PM)
WD-40 laugh.gif

OH NO! another car has been totalled!!!!!
vortrex
there are bugs in CA?
seanery
We clean a lot of cables when we do live events that get covered in gaffers tape (which is similar, but not quit the same).
I use tape to get tape goo off. You just kinda use the friction of the tape pulling on the goo. When you get most of it, then do goof off, it does work really good for the rubber.
VegasRacer
I can confirm that goof off will clean the tape residue from your turn signal lenses without damaging the plastic.
campbellcj
Awesome...Goof Off it is then. I have a big can sitting here; somehow I got the idea it would f* up the plastic.

I don't even know why I still tape the turn signal lenses. I have not noticed that in the rules but it is a very common practice and seemed like "the thing to do". If one broke it would seem very unlikely to cause damage to other drivers. Now a big 911 glass headlight would be a different story...

That thought just reminded me that a Z06 Vette got its windshield smashed at the last OTR event; some guy apparently left a hockey-puck style jack plate/pad stuck to the bottom of his car and it subsequently separated itself at 100+mph on the track...OOPS. Safety glass held together fine though.

I am switching to semi-permanent vinyl numbers so thank god I won't have to deal with mass quantities of racer tape to hold on my old POS magnetic gumballs anymore. Although who knows what will happen if/when I remove the vinyl ones idea.gif
Brad Roberts
We use the really thick vinyl numbers... you can reuse them 2-3 times. Wax the area's where they will sit and they will come off real easy (slowly)..

B
Jeroen
The vinyl stickers won't hurt your paint.
Worse thing that can happen is that when you take them off, the paint underneath 'em is shineyer than the rest of the car biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Maine914
What works best on the underside of the targa top? The headliner on mine is long gone, and there is a bunch of old dried glue left. What's the best product to get that off?
Thanks.
seanery
try mineral spirits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.