Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering rack removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanf123
i'm trying to remove the steering rack, so i can rebuild it. can someone tell me how it comes out. thanks
SpecialK
Been awhile since I removed mine, but IIRC you need to disconnect the U-joint where the steering shaft enters the firewall, detach the tie rods from the spindles, remove the two large bolts that hold the rear of the suspension beam to the body, and remove the two bolts that hold the steering rack to the suspension beam. I dropped the entire front end assy. when I took mine out, so it might be easier in the long run just to drop the whole front end...really not that bad of a job. If you mark the placement of all of the components prior to removal, you might get away without having to have it re-aligned.....emphasis on "might".
Cap'n Krusty
There's a link at the point where it meets the steering column. 1 bolt there. 2 bolts at the subframe. 2 tierod ends. In 32 years of professional P-car wrenching, I've never seen a worn rack on either a 911 or a 914, and I'm not sure parts are even available. You can replace/update the tierods without removing the rack. The Cap'n
seanf123
thanx, thats a start. i already have the entire front end off. just have the rack left there
bondo
The way I know of you just drop the whole front suspension, then it's obvious. I don't remember if you have to pull the gas tank, but I know the master cylinder has to come out to do it that way.

Now tell me how to rebuild the steering rack, because I've been told they aren't rebuildable. smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (bondo @ Sep 19 2005, 06:47 PM)
Now tell me how to rebuild the steering rack, because I've been told they aren't rebuildable. smile.gif

the bushings that the rack ride on inside are listed as seperate part number I believe, the problem is that if the rack is worn at the gears, it would be too cost prohibitive to have them built up and machined down....

if you need a new one, I'd try to find the lowest mileage unit I could find at the wreckers.
watsonrx13
Here's a link to my website that shows how I dropped my front suspension.

Web site.
Joe Ricard
Yea but getting it back in is tough if you don't have the gas tank out. Hard to get the shaft back into the bearing which is bolted to the body just under the tank.

Dang Rob, you becoming some sort of expert or sumpin. Nice documentation. You are doing me proud son. And last I talk to you your motor is running too! mueba.gif
jsteele22

Awesome web page! Are there other pages for any of the other projects you have listed ? I couldn't click on anything but the photos on that one page.
watsonrx13
QUOTE (jsteele22 @ Sep 20 2005, 11:30 AM)
Awesome web page!  Are there other pages for any of the other projects you have listed ?  I couldn't click on anything  but the photos on that one page.

If you go to the bottom of the page, you'll see Previous Update, Next Update, Return to Project Page, Return to Main Page. These links will allow you to move beyond the link I posted.

BTW, if you use the link in my signature, it will take you directly to the home page of my web site.

Joe, you've done me proud with the awesome rebuild of the motor. I'm working on installing the front disks/bearings, then the front and rear brakes. Soon, oh so soon, it will be back on all four wheels and mobile again.....
Joe Ricard
And to think I was nearly going to go build engines for a living!!
These storms keep up and I still might. piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.