Full Version: removable car numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
I want magnetic or press and peel number panels for my car

DSP and DSPN markings too.

Who makes removable ones?
seanery
Will,
there really aren't any good removable numbers. Magnetics do remove, but they can also scratch your paint. I've got a set of "removable" sticky numbers, but they aren't removable at all, they just use a lower tac adhesive. Static stick is an option, but I doubt it could handle even autocross speed.

If you're willing to make sure your that the magnets are totally clean and your car is clean and wax free, you could try the magnets. I would offer to do them, but I can't cut the magnetic material, it's very much thicker than the vinyl I use.
qa1142
Sean
I keep seeing myself being pulled over doing 98.6 with a car number on the side. huh.gif

Don't think they would let me off blink.gif

PS 98.6 per my GPS is top speed on way to Garold's NW Indiana SCCA auto X last Sunday mueba.gif
Joe Bob
I have the magnetic stock available.....
Joe Bob
They tend to fly off over 70 mph, can scratch the paint and need to be stored flat when not in use. But you can use duct (100mph) tape on the leading edges and store them under the front hood....assuming your hood is still metal....

I typically cut the magnetics and THEN apply vinyl in the numbers or design needed.
gregrobbins
Solotime has a wide selection of magnetic numbers in a varity of styles and colors.

Click Here
Sammy
I paid $15 each for 10" high magnetic two color numbers from Pro tape signs, protape@airmail.net
I found them on-line.

My car is black with very soft paint. I can scratch it by walking past it quicky and my numbers have never scratched the paint at all.
I keep the numbers clean, I make sure the paint is clean before putting the numbers on, and I don't get scratches of any kind.

I forgot and left the numbers on the car yesterday when I drove home from Irwindale Speedway and hit 85 mph a few times (OK almost all the time) and at least 90 once and the numbers did not come off.

Sammy
Here's a better picture that isn't blurry:

Trekkor
I picked up a set of do-it-yourself magnetic door sign kits.

Had "746" made in vinyl and set them on the blanks.

I like 'em smile.gif

KT
Trekkor
they have never blown off the car.
i used clear packaging tape on the length of the leading edge for the WCC track day where near 110 mph was seen into turn one smilie_pokal.gif

KT
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (qa1142 @ Sep 19 2005, 06:14 PM)

DSP and DSPN markings too.

ohmy.gif hey stay in your own class damn it biggrin.gif

I have had no problems with magnetic numbers staying on when I AX, guess I'm driving to slow dry.gif As Greg said Solotime has nice number sets, but if I was to do magnetic numbers again I would do like trekkor, easy & cheaper.

I did switch to the number sets that Sean made, I like them. Once they are on they stay on, which is fine with me.

I keep seeing myself being pulled over doing 98.6 with a car number on the side.  

Don't think they would let me off  

I drive my car every day like, um well with the numbers on my car, well ok sometime I do go 98.6 on I94 also cool_shades.gif

My car with Seans number & class markings smilie_pokal.gif
Sammy
Here's a little trick I'd like to share:
magnetic numbers have a tendency to pick up metal shavings and such if you accidently grind near them or if they fall on the floor or whatever.
Dirt and small metal particles are what scratch paint.
Obviously the best thing to do is keep em clean but iffn they get dirty it's real hard to get em clean again. But......
take some sticky tape, either good masking tape or duct tape. Use the sticky side to pick the metal or dirt off the magnetic numbers. Just stick and peel, the tape will pull the crap off the magnets.
it would real good on retrieving magnets too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.