Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saratoga top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Just looking at evilbay and seen a Saratoga top for
a 944 and it got me wondering about these tops
for a 914.
Does anyone have one??? Are they really that hard
to find for a 914??? Anyone got a pic of one on a 914?

Garold

PS only 3 more days until I pick up my NEW 914 clap56.gif
seanery
they get crazy stupid amounts of $$ for them on ebay when you do see them.
Wasn't the last one like $1200 or some ridiculous price?
Aaron Cox
wouldnt that make the inside of your 914 really hot? ive heard that they dont fit so well confused24.gif
boxstr
They are wonderful if you like sitting in a fishbowl and frying in the sun. They are not made all that well and they leak, The one I had I sold on ebay for $$$ and was glad to see it gone. I personally like taking the top off if I want to see above me.
CCLINSARATOGAHELL
GaroldShaffer
wouldnt that make the inside of your 914 really hot? ive heard that they dont fit so well

That's what I was thinking. I have never seen one
on a 914, heck the only one I seen was on ebay
some time back and I think it went for $1k. To
much $$$ for me.

-Garold (3 more days driving.gif )
seanery
I used to have an 89 Vette with the clear (actually tinted blue) targa top. It was nice to see out, but got way, way, way hot when parked.
Rouser
From what I've heard (and I've actually seen one, in use!), the reason they're so rare (not one of their best-sellers), and commanding knuckleheaded/re-DICK-u-lus prices, is because of their "unusualness." In a nutshell? They're junk.

The fit sucks (the leading edge looked as straight as my arthritic little toe), the latches just didn't seem to fit "right," and you might as well have a microwave lid on your head 'cuz dem sun's rays is gonna cook the insides like a magnifying lens! Pop Tarts anyone?!

The top was meant to be removed and the money better spent elsewhere; really.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(seanery @ Aug 4 2003, 08:26 PM)
I used to have an 89 Vette with the clear (actually tinted blue) targa top. It was nice to see out, but got way, way, way hot when parked.

Yupper... same with the 82 I had. Plus, since they're made of glass it was really big bucks to replace when/if you dropped those heavy suckers!
bruce
MarkV
Photo of one:
Joe Bob
Leaky piece of shit when new....age has not cured them. There IS a reason they don't make them any more.....if you wanna see the sun, take the top off....

I bet they were popular with the comb over crowd back in the 70s.....think gold chains and seizure suits, white belts and matching shoes.... barf.gif
Aaron Cox
they are interesting--- if they were made better and tinted more, they might sell better. who made them ( acompany or an individual?)
Jenny
"Looks" cool. But yeah, I think it'd get pretty hot. Blue-collar Larnce bid on one on ebay once upon a time. Just for shits and giggles though. The seller (white-collar) was a real dickwad.

Jen
JeffBowlsby
I have one...it'll be FS soon... cool.gif

They aren't meant for 110 summers guys...

They are best used when its cold outside like in the fall...to extend the driving season...
JeffBowlsby
Oh...they were made by "Saratoga Tops"...who made them for many different car makes. I would think they would be fairly simple to fabricate...but then the prices would drop if they became available again...
MarkV
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Aug 4 2003, 08:18 PM)
They aren't meant for 110 summers guys...

They are best used when its cold outside like in the fall...to extend the driving season...

The driving season for us 110 summer guys starts in the fall. w00t.gif
drew365
I had one. I put it on the car twice. I was going to save it for showing the car. Then I decided I wanted to be a Ricky Racer more than a CW, so I sold it for those big bucks on e-bay and blew the money on springs and shocks.
redshift
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 4 2003, 11:38 PM)
.....think gold chains and seizure suits, white belts and matching shoes.... barf.gif

What's the matter with my belt and shoes?

M
ninefourteener
Actually, I think having one would be pretty cool. The greatest appeal to the 914 is it's "openness".

Many-a-nights though.... I've been driving home at 3 or 4 in the morning... and I have to put the top on cause it's too chilly.

I'd like to have one...... I'll never spend that kinda cash on one though.

Plus.... with one on the car, everyone could see my lime green polyester bell bottoms, my skin tight brown sequence lounge shirt, and my white patent leather platform shoes beerchug.gif
seanery
I've been driving home at 3 or 4 in the morning... and I have to put the top on cause it's too chilly

Turn the heat on!
I love driving in November with the top off, windows down and heat blaring!!
ninefourteener
Actually, thats one of those things I need to take a look at. My heat works..... but it just kind of "drifts" into the car.... it doesn't really blow hard.

I can hear the motor turning, and I can hear the other motor turn when I lift the lever on the floor, but the air coming out of thew vents is pretty mild.

Suggestions??
seanery
crawl under the car and see if the tubing (kind of a paper/aluminum looking sort) is in good shape.
Look for rust on the HE's.

I know there's more, but I haven't had one with poor heat.
SirAndy
make sure the flaps on the heat exchangers are still hooked up to the cables (which you move with the heater lever). sometimes they are rust shut. sometimes they slip off the heat-exchangers.

if you can hear the blower motor, make sure all hoses are conneected correctly. blower to HE. HE to longs-tunnel. longs-tunnel to vents in the front.

then check on your cables on the heater control unit (dashboard).
open the front trunk, dissconnect the heater hose that comes from the longs, move the heater control lever and check if the flaps inside the vents actually move. i just went through the process of replacing the heater control cables (behind the dash) and it's a PITA unless you remove your gas tank ...

later,
Andy
mikester
My boss used to have one on his, it was neat but he said the fit wasn't well and he was always afraid it was going to fly off.
AZ914
I have one in addition to my regular top. Before the restoration project, I used to run with it in the winter months when it wasn't soooo hot out there.

I like the thing... gives you that 'sunroof' feel without getting blown about. I've never noticed a leaking problem though it hardly rains here in the winter so who knows.
bernbomb914
I would like to see one made out of carbon fiber. It would be strong , light, and look great in its natural state.

Bernie driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.