Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slightly OT: Optima Battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbledsoe
I found an Optima battery included with my second 914. It has now been sitting for about four months (valve noise) as I finish the final stages of the install/conversion of a Buick V6 into my 75 914. I want to use the Optima in the newly converted 914 but am unsure if I can charge it as I would any other typical lead/acid battery.

I have no way to check the charge on the Optima battery, and do not wish to attempt to fire off a brand new V6 on a low battery, so figured I'd just try giving it a charge to fire the new engine. Is there anything I should know about charging an Optima before I put it on the trickle charger?

I did a search here but found nothing that related to charging an Optima.

Eye, Matey!

Talk Like a Pirate Day! piratenanner.gif
dbledsoe
Bump

I see another has asked the same/similar question but it hasn't been answered by the Optima experts, or has it?

stromberg.gif What do I know?

givemebeer.gif
Rider914
I charge mine just like any other battery. Ten amp auto setting. Once a week or so if I don't drive it.
Gint
Just toss it in your daily driver, jump it with your wife's car and drive away. Charge it while your driving. That's what I've done with my 9 year old Optima (more than once) when I've let it sit for months at a time. Works every time. That battery kicks ass.
Rand
Don't sweat it. Trickle charge it. It will be fine. It will think it's getting fed by your everyday alternator. beerchug.gif
dbledsoe
Thanks guys! I'll do the 2 amp charge overnight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.