Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintage914racer
Well I just spent 20 minutes typing up a recap of my race weekend and as I went to submit it everything was lost. A brief synopsis:

As my last race of the season I was excited, but a little sad that my next race after this one would no be for another 8 months. This past weekend was the 20th anniversary of VSCDA's Elkhart LAke Vintage Festival.

My last prior race was back at Road America in July for the BRIC. While I struggled with temps in the high 90s in July, the fall festival provided great weather with sunny skies and temperatures in the mid 70s. In July I achieved my fasted time ever of 2:47 and best overall finish. I was apprehensive going into the fall festival as my best lap seemed like a fluke and I had no idea how I would ever reach it again. Well apparently things have finally come together and I manage to stay below the 2:50 range through friday's practice and saturday's qualifying. Come Sunday's race I was gridded in the 8th position out of roughly 42 cars, my best starting position ever. I would have been content sticking in eighth, but had not idea what the outcome would be.

Anyway, as the pace car rounded turn 14 and exited the track, goosebumps popped and we slowly crested the hill on the front straight. Cautious as ever not to jump the gun, as it had been a huge problem a the BRIC in July (18 car pileup), the green flag flew and the roar of engines filled the air. There is nothing like the roar of several flat 6's. As usual we went into turn one in a rather big bunch and out of turn 3 I made my first pass. This would be the easier of the passes to come...

For a good part of the middle of the race I had my sights set on the back of a yellow Alfa Romea GTV. While it was a good looking car and well driven I got pretty tired of looking at the back of it and over the next couple laps planned my attack. While I defintiely had the advantage throughout the back twisites of the track, he seemd to get a few lengths on the expansive front straights. It soon became apparent where I would set my sights and go for the pass....shortly after the kink :eek: :eek:

For those not familiar, the kink is somewhat of a legend at road america. Shortly after the Carousel the road kinks to the right. At this point the brave go flat out, while other hits the brakes and take the conservative route. I have seen way too many cars in my race group in the past screw up and play pinball with the concrete walls. Put two cars in the mix and it is too risky. This has been an area where I have always made up time on others, but I knew it was not a place to pass.

Coming in I left a couple car lengths between the two of us and while he slowed and turned in I kept her going. As he exited and approached the outside runoff area I was able to reel him in and come up on the inside shortly after the turn. From then I was able to keep up steam and pulled ahead of him for turn 12. From this point on I was able to kick it down without someone in front of me and in the final couple laps open up a 7-10 second lead.

In the end I had my best finish ever, 6th overall and 3rd in class. It was a great way to end the season, but it leaves me ever more excited for next season. Unfortunately I have 8 months and subzero temperatures to sit through. While envy the californians and floridians that can race year long, I am glad I can't as I would be perpetually broke
Aaron Cox
fixed your pic for you.
BTW - it probably died because you were uploading a 1+ meg jpeg...
vintage914racer
thanks
J P Stein
Congratulations. It's better to finish the season on a high note, eh....makes the winter longer, but the heart warmer......humm, I musta heard that somewhere. biggrin.gif
Anyhew, I could use one of them breakthroughs to warm my winter.
brant
Congrats..
that is wonderful..

beautiful picture also

its great you ended on such a wonderful note.

next year will be here before too long.

brant
Eric_Shea
You'll need to post here more often. We've seen a few glimpses of your beautiful ride in the past. Seem to me like you'd be a valuable member of this community.

Love your ride smilie_pokal.gif

Now that you have all that free time... start typing some more biggrin.gif More pics (800 x 600 would be best) blink.gif
vintage914racer
I have a bunch of pics on my home computer. I will resize and post a few more.
qa1142
Way to go!
smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.