Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog lights without headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
black73
I've been searching about an hour and a half and came up with nothing. I must be search illiterate.
Can someone tell me how to run the fog lights independent of the headlights?

Aaron Cox
search demick's article here...

also JWEST makes a fog wiring kit to do just that
black73
Thanks, Aaron. That's what I was looking for! beerchug.gif
hmeeder
I did this about 3 years ago. I remember finding this description on Pelican Parts.

914 FOG LIGHT CONVERSION 1970-1974

Many of us 914 owners have wished our U.S. fog lights worked all of the time and not just with the low beams. Well it's not as hard as you think! You will need only basic hand tools and a few assorted solderless connectors.

First: Disconnect the negative side of the battery.

Second: Remove the fuse cover, remove the mounting screws and pull down the fuse block and let it hang.

Third: Remove the headlamp, fog and hazard switches from their dash mounted locations and let them hang down with the fuse block.

Fourth: Take the headlamp switch and look for a black wire w/blue stripe that is plugged into the #56 terminal, there will also be a grey wire and a red wire w/white stripe all connected together, carefully cut the black wire w/blue stripe as close to the end as possible leaving no part of the wire exposed. Install a piggy-back spade connector.

Fifth: Locate the #15 terminal on the headlamp switch and pull remove the connector then plug in the black wire w/blue stripe and then piggyback the connector that was just there.

Sixth: Now find the white wire w/blue stripe going to the #1 fuse, this wire is coming from the #85 terminal of the fog light relay (round black relay, far left on fuse block). Be certain you have selected the correct wire (white wire w/blue stripe) you are about to cut at the #1 fuse (just as you did before), cut it and find a solderless connector to fit the ground connection located at the upper left side of the fuse block mount. You will see a group of brown wires held down by a 10mm nut. Remove the nut and add the white wire w/blue stripe. You may need to add a 2 to 3 inch piece of wire so it will reach the ground connection. Be sure to tighten this ground connection.

Seventh: Reinstall the three switches and fuse block in reverse order making sure not to pinch any wires when tightening up the fuse block. Now connect the negative battery cable to the battery.

Eight: To test--turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position and turn on the fog lights. You may now enjoy your fog lights any time the ignition is on.
Elliot_Cannon
I bought the harness from JWest and it worked great. I wanted to be able to flash the driving lights with the headlights on or off, with or without the highbeams on and he showed me just exactly how to wire it. Very helpfull.
Cheers, Elliot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.