Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's a sad day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
I was really excited when i found a used (recently rebuilt 2.0 motor) to put into my car. I was looking forward to dropping the engine and replacing it with another stock motor. I obtained shipping quotes, and paid the seller for an engine at what I thought was a great price.

Unfortunately I got some bad news today. The seller of the engine notified me the engine is not in good shape, per his mechanic. He offered to refund my money in full. So now I am faced with the original dilemma once again: Rebuild stock, rebuild performance, replace performance or conversion?

Sometimes having a 914 is so frustrating. It seems every time I accomplish something... something else gets taken away.

To make matters worse.. the cowboys lost!!! GRRRRRRRRR

Oh well... I guess I'll just have another beer and go to sleep.
bd1308
dude same thing happens to me, i fix one thing and another goes wrong.....

you'll get it

my vote is slight performance t4, i still like it the best.

b
lapuwali
Rebuilding as stock is pretty much a waste of effort. If you have a 2.0 now, just rebuild it as a 2056 (96mm P&Cs in place of 94mm) and ring up Jake and ask for his 2056 D-Jet cam if you're still running D-Jet. If you're running carbs now, get a wilder cam. This should give you a decent boost w/o compromising reliability, and will basically cost the same as a stock rebuild.

If you have a 1.7 or a 1.8, then you can build a 1911cc using your existing crank with 96mm P&Cs and some head work, and either use carbs or aftermarket EFI together with a decent cam and get a nice revvy performance engine. This costs somewhat more than a stock rebuild, but not hugely so.

SirAndy
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Sep 19 2005, 10:19 PM)
Rebuild stock, rebuild performance, replace performance or conversion?

stock rebuild to 2056 ...

if you don't already have a 2.0L (1.7L or 1.8L) get some 2.0L heads and 2.0L P/C and build yourself a nice little 2056 ...

smash.gif Andy
Carlitos Way
I do have a 2.0... actually, I think it's now only a 1.0... I either dropped a valve seat or a valve, or broke a piston. I have 0 compression in #3 Cylinder. Problem is... i have NO PLACE to work. So, I need almost a turn-key engine to replace this one... I can get away with it for one weekend at my condo. After that, the nazies (er, rentacops) will have a field day and I'll have to face an eviction letter from my landlord.

If I had the time, I would gladly take apart this engine and do a mild overbuild. I'd definitely consider one of Jake's kits. But without having the space to work on it... the idea of rebuilding the engine is just not plausible.

Dr. Roger
Dude,
Albert Einstein once said "You cannot solve a problem at the same level it was created. You have to go to a higher level."
In Chinese, the word for "crisis" and the word for "opportunity" are the same.
Sounds like you have an opportunity to upgrade and have an even greater car! And there'll be no chance of inheriting someone elses headaches.

So what'd U think of my pep talk? laugh.gif
redshift
Yes, as Roger says, you have to get really high.

M
MoveQik
Just be glad you were dealing with an honest seller. It could have turned out a lot worse.
Carlitos Way
Actually, I'm EXTREMELY glad the seller was so cool about it. I guess that was part of my motivation for posting. I guess human nature ain't all that bad. There's still some people with integrity around.

So... I guess I'm still in the market for a 2.0 engine.. if any of y'all see one... let me know.

Carlos
bottomend
ya know... once you've got all the pieces disassembled and cleaned, building an engine is a VERY clean operation. It can be done indoors with a little care and planning. As long as you can get it throught the door when you're finished, there should be much of a reason why you cant build the thing inside.
MecGen
LOL

why you cant build the thing inside

I built a 2.6 V6 from my Capri, in my bedroom aktion035.gif

Interesting anough, some girls found this cool, at least an ice breaker in the bedroom

Later

beerchug.gif
Crazyhippy
Carlos,

I'm going to be doing a Subaru WRX swap in the near future, and you are welcome to the 1.7 in my car for as long as you need. It's remarkably gutless, but it runs biggrin.gif .

Just let me know.

BJH
phantom914
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Sep 19 2005, 10:50 PM)
............. I guess human nature ain't all that bad. There's still some people with integrity around.

Nah, he just found somebody who was willing to pay more.

biggrin.gif

Andrew
Carlitos Way
Wow. What a great response. I've had a couple of people PM me and offer what they can. I am in the process of sorting things out, and comparing what I can afford to what is available.

Thanks a lot guys... YOU ROCK!!!!

C.
SLITS
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Sep 19 2005, 10:19 PM)
To make matters worse..  the cowboys lost!!!  GRRRRRRRRR

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.