Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: let's give that onion a sniff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rhodyguy
ok. here's the little bastard.

k
rhodyguy
misuse of room temperature vulcanizing compound. 10yd penalty and loss of down. after cleaning would i use the same correct sealant that was mentioned in my other running thread?

k
Mark Henry
Toss those valve covers in the scrap pile, pop off the heads and post the pics of the guts...I'd like to see if it has ever been rebuilt.

I smell stromberg.gif
rhodyguy
the guy really wanted to make sure the rear main seal was not going to leak. unsure.gif

k
rhodyguy
anyone know the story behind this little tag on the oil pump? any visual clues as to what flavor of o.p. this is?

k
Mark Henry
Melling pump barf.gif
rhodyguy
the elusive, missing, air injection port plug/bolt. all 4 are no where to be found. either stromberg pulled them when he stole my intake manifolds, or they were never installed. the engine tin was filthy, so who knows? unsure.gif i'll be pulling one head later this am and we'll see what's going on inside. pictures this evening

just saw your reply about the pump before posting this one mark. what the hell should i do? r&r? shit. oh, the valve covers will be turned in for scrap weight. they should be worth 1/2 cup of fuel with any luck. biggrin.gif

k
Root_Werks
Bummer Kevin, so that's "THE" engine huh?
CptTripps
That tag is to see if the engine overheated... I think it changes color when the engine gets too hot. Helps the warranty people
rhodyguy
yep. this is the stinker. i hope the guy selling the fi setup understands this is the "rebuilt, put carbs on it and install in your car" engine stromberg sold me. i don't think he realizes what a piece of work he's in cahoots with and how his association reflects upon HIM!!

k
rhodyguy
so you're kidding on that tag. right? dry.gif

k
Mueller
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 20 2005, 07:54 AM)
the valve covers will be turned in for scrap weight. they should be worth 1/2 cup of fuel with any luck. biggrin.gif

i'll give you $5 plus shipping for those smash.gif smile.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 20 2005, 08:08 AM)
so you're kidding on that tag. right? dry.gif

k

Yeh, he's kidding.......a "heat sticker" looks nothing like that...the one's I used had 3 dots that went to black as the temp was reached/exceeded.

It's got to be an ID tag.
rhodyguy
fine mike. send me your mailing address. or we can just swap straight across for a set of vented rotors. biggrin.gif . did you want to opt for priority mail? i was considering an ebay sale. including a long, rambling, text of the adventure with stromberg.gif, type4parts.com, etc. ebay is the only venue i can't hammer him at.

steve, how you doing you lurking, fat prick? how are sales these days? cs'er!!

k
Root_Werks
laugh.gif How do you really feel K?

That whole situation would really piss me off.
rhodyguy
i'm way beyond the pissed off aspect dan. what's done is done and all i can do is make the best of an unfortunate purchase. but NO ONE is off the hook at this point. funny, when i sealed the deal on the engine it was around the same time you and i were conversing about going to a 6 or having jeff assemble a 4. i wish i hadn't turned the computer that day. sad.gif oh well.

k
TROJANMAN
how much did this cost you? idea.gif
rhodyguy
what? the replacement flywheel? the gas to drive it to the shipper to get it from tacoma to so cal? the cost to ship it back to tacoma from so cal? my insurance co-pay for the valium? the faith in a few members who knew what the play was in camarillo, and failed to give me the heads up? additional faith that went poof, when they failed to step forward when this saga started to unfold and they sat on their hands? you will have to be more specific. biggrin.gif

a little sideways here. why are throwout bearing so exspensive?

k
Mark Henry
I have a feeling that your heads will have the stromberg.gif optionial spark plug head cracks....we'll see. dry.gif

I bet there's valve adjuster screws down those smog holes.

The melling pump....remove it and give it the float test.
TROJANMAN
without having to dig up old posts:
what did you think you were buying, and what was the initial cost?

rhodyguy
it's no secret. $1.9k, as advertised. if you missed the volumes about this engine, here's easy diggin'. type happy, happy , joy, joy, or just onion with rhodyguy as the member in the search. feedback for type4parts at thesamba. that old "73', 2.0 914 for sale" thread that was in the parts classifieds at the bird. i'm "link" challanged.

k
rhodyguy
you will have to change # of days for the search dates. any date is the one you should use.

k
rhodyguy
went out and pulled a head. these measurements were taken with a small rule that reads in 1/32", all should be considered +- to within a 32nd or 2. bore 3 3/4". intake 1 29/32". exh 1 7/16". metal spacer between cly #1 and head. no spacer on 2. dry.gif some hard carbon in the combustion area. i'll probaby take them to Northwest Connecting Rods and have gerry run them through the big, fancy, hot liquid cleaning machine they have. more feekin' money. pictures later tonight.

k
Bleyseng
waitin to see whats inside....
so far it looks like a old motor sad.gif
rhodyguy
forgot. double valve springs. you missed the valve sizes geoff.

k
rhodyguy
i think there was a little oil control problem.

k
rhodyguy
other side. consistant. where would i look for some part/ reference #s on the cly? should there be any? the parting line doesn't give me any clues unsure.gif .

k
rhodyguy
dirty valves. oil carbon plenty. wet.

k
rhodyguy
a little closer. off to NWC with these after traffic dies down.

k
rhodyguy
springs.

k
rhodyguy
helicoils on 5 out 8 studs. not impressed. looks like there were sealing issues at the he to exh port. copper gaskets had obvious signs of leakage at a few points. note how black the surrounding area is. cool_shades.gif

k
Root_Werks
$1900 eh. Ouch K, I hope you are able to get it all back together for a good deal.
rhodyguy
it's just a little money dan. at this point i think stromberg is wishing he would have refunded the dough-ray-me. i imagine that 1.9 has multiplied by a few factors due to lost sales and lack of future customers. i think i can get it back together without a whole lot more bleeding.

k
TROJANMAN
was this supposed to be a fresh rebuild?
rhodyguy
i guess wacko.gif . first it was 1500 miles, then 3 tanks of gas. blink.gif it should have been based on the number of quarts of oil consumed. i have no idea. something i couldn't show... the air injection ports are plugged. way down inside there is what looks like some sort of flat tip screw driver headed plug and some silverish goop around them. are they sealed? is it safe? yes!, no!, very safe!!, not safe!!.

k
TROJANMAN
so................
what you're trying to tell us is that stromberg.gif is
a piece of stromberg.gif
rhodyguy
your call. i'm a trusting guy. you tell me x, i expect x. not y or z. have you read the other threads?

k
TROJANMAN
some time ago. i was just trying to refresh my memory w/o having to search them out. that's why i was asking about what condition the engine was supposed to be in. it makes a difference being able to see pictures now, versus what was initially promised. that's all.
Tobra
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 22 2005, 08:07 AM)
your call. i'm a trusting guy. you tell me x, i expect x. not y or z. have you read the other threads?

k

I used to be like that. Now I am like a guy from Missouri, show me.
rhodyguy
well, i'm showin' ya! smile.gif the camera is gone. i can only handle so much of the engine in one day. the tops of the valve stems are hammered. some more so than others. double springs...too much? misadjusted valves and too much spring? can stems be spot faced? are the heads ruined? great.

k
Mark Henry
48mm X 38mm valves...sorry, junk in my books.

The valves stems are hammered because of no lash caps or swivel foot adjusters were used.

Man you got sheeplove.gif by stromberg.gif ...But you knew that... sad.gif
rhodyguy
your comments make me feel soooo much better mark. biggrin.gif

k
messix
looks like stromberg.gif Kev.

sorry to see it look so bad. any cross hatch left in the cylinders?

long ago i took on the attitude that any used engine is just a core unless its mine and i know what abuse it has had. many engines have run great and are just waiting to gernade and some one is trying to get rid of them for a reason.

so some times i'm sure i have missed out on great engines that some one has sold for a reasonable price that was a very good engine, but if there is no warranty, in my book its just a core.
rhodyguy
nope. no cross hatching left. i see your point. but...when you buy an engine that is freshly rebuilt (stated), that is ready for you to "put on your carbs and install in your car", you (or me in this case) expect it to be as advertised. when the build sheet is not provided, as it was promised it would be, you're fucked. when the seller bullshits you, tells you he will refund your money, you get the engine within 40 miles of him, and he informs you "i'm not giving you a nickle" you're double fucked. if it had been advertised as an engine that had seen lots of hours, without any assurances, believe me, i would not have bought it. i had more than one inquiry about selling the engine when this ordeal started. i explained what the play was, and never heard from the people again. outside of this place i stood no chance of being hurt, hassled, etc, and could have dumped it. i opted to be able to show my face, both here and within the 914 community in general. UNLIKE LURKING COWARDS. all you guys who are still all buddied up with stromberg, give him a big hello from me. he still has his pals. guilt by fucking association.

k

k
rhodyguy
main bearings are marked 10/std. 10 under on the crank and standard on the case?

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Oct 11 2005, 03:55 PM)
main bearings are marked 10/std. 10 under on the crank and standard on the case?

k

has the case been align bored?
rhodyguy
dunno, check with steve for me would you? that's why i posted the 10/std.

k
MecGen
Hey man

Maybe its not so bad.... clean everything up and see. Maybe he broke a few rings on the way in....

You don't know how I feel for you. I got hit for more then that, 1200$ just at "Stephens Fucked Machining"

Whats this all about..
the faith in a few members who knew what the play was in camarillo, and failed to give me the heads up

I must confused24.gif of missed it

Positive Karma coming your way

later

beerchug.gif
street legal go-kart
I read all the previous posts.
Cross hatching on the jug walls from the machining process should last about 2500-3000 miles.
Good quality type 4 overhauls ,even if you use some of the old stuff , should run about $3000-4000 depending on the goal in mind.

Are you listening Jake and/or Bradholio? biggrin.gif

The lesson here is that good stuff NEVER NEVER NEVER comes cheap.

Sorry you got hosed , if you want someone to take a look at this pile O stuff , contact Arcane Automotive in Fresno, Ca. and talk to Kevin .
He aint cheap but he will NOT rip you off, his engines build great hp and LAST.
Ask me ,I know, and I punish his stuff. Daily. smilie_pokal.gif

JT
rhodyguy
dist drive gear. the leading edge is paper thin. folded over to be exact.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.