Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thunderhill DE friday the 23rd
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I am very excited about my first DE on the BIG TRACK! boldblue.gif

Looking for advice, experiences and words of encouragement as I knowingly go headfirst towards the darkside unsure.gif

Anybody else going?

KT
porschecb
Make sure you can pass tech. It's along drive home. wink.gif
Mueller
pray it does not rain wacko.gif

as much as I love Thunderhill, I wouldn't want to be there in the rain MDB2.gif
brant
good deal Trekkor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

only advice I have is whatchout for the adiction!

brant
Dave_Darling
It's a lot like a giant autoX. Bring lots of water, lots of sunscreen, bring your wet-weather gear, and so on.

The airport diner just off the freeway is outstanding if you like diner-type food. Not that expensive, either!

Flush your brake fluid. No, now--I don't care if you did it last month, it's now too old! You want absolutely fresh fluid, so you still have brakes at the end of a 20-minute run group. Install fresh pads, too. The extra thickness is extra insulation, keeping more of the heat out of your brake fluid. (Guess who boiled his brake fluid his first time out at Thunder Hill?)

Drive within your limits. Don't be too afraid to push them, but remember--there are one or two walls out there...

Remember to keep checking your mirrors! Even if you don't see a blue flag, it's still good to know if someone is back there at all.

--DD
jgara962
Are you running the full 3.0 mi course, or some variation?

The Golden Pheasant (if it's still there) was pretty good for food, and the bar seemed to be a congregating spot during SCCA/NASA weekends

Be sure to enjoy the local ambiance that is Willows, CA. A stop at the Wal Mart should do it.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN! driving.gif
sjhowitson
Have a great time. Listen to your instructor. That is what they are there for to help you go fast. Take some time to enjoy the day. It will go by very fast . Wish I was going to be there. I will be thinking about all you guys running like a bat out of Hell.
Take lots of pictures. Should be lots of 914 out there. That is a great group to run with.
Be safe and god speed.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (jgara962 @ Sep 20 2005, 03:31 PM)
The Golden Pheasant (if it's still there) was pretty good for food, and the bar seemed to be a congregating spot during SCCA/NASA weekends

They sold the restaurant, so no more breakfast included with the room rate. sad.gif

One thing I forgot in my earlier note--show up with at least 3/4 tank of fuel. It takes about 20 minutes to drive into town, fill up, and drive back. I realize you're towing the car, so you'll have your fuel in fuel cans--but make sure to have at least 3/4 tank worth (12 gallons) with you. You don't wanna be running out.

--DD
9146R
Trekkor,

Some random thoughts:
a) you will get hooked - the adrenaline rush lasts 20 mintues vs 1 minute on autox course
cool.gif all of the above comments are 100% valid (brakes, water, etc) You will exhausted by the end of the day...be careful late in the day
c) late apex to be sure you DO NOT RUN OUT OF TRACK at the exits. Turns 14-15 have been problematic for me at times.
HAVE A BLAST.... driving.gif
Greg
Trekkor
Thanks for the encouragement and help.

This is going to be fantastic!! boldblue.gif

They paired me up with a very experienced GGR TT instructor Mike Mitchell.

We talked about the event, car prep, mental approach, lap times, etc for at least two hours today.

This is great. biggrin.gif

He drives a well prepped 911 with a 3.8 race engine. ohmy.gif

KT
grantsfo
Have a great time! And remember youre not in a go kart that will bounce off the walls!
nine14cats
Have a great time Trekkor!

You will be hooked.... happy11.gif But it's good....just get used to having thoughts about the big track and how Auto-x just won't give you the same thrill. Auto-x will still be fun...but not like it used to be.... laugh.gif

Bill P.
Trekkor
I know this a turning point for me.
By this time tomorrow I will have already run two sessions.

One hour and fourty minutes of track time... cool_shades.gif

Video to follow, of course

KT
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (trekkor @ Sep 21 2005, 07:52 PM)

Mike's cool. He used to be a 944 turbo guy--autocrossed one for years, as well as time-trialing--but finally switched over to the Dark Side with that early 911/big motor deal like several other locals have.

Tell him I said "hi". His wife, Donna, too, if she's there.

--DD
Trekkor
Will do smile.gif

He seems to know *everyone* unsure.gif

KT
Mueller
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Sep 22 2005, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE (trekkor @ Sep 21 2005, 07:52 PM)

Mike's cool. He used to be a 944 turbo guy--autocrossed one for years, as well as time-trialing--but finally switched over to the Dark Side with that early 911/big motor deal like several other locals have.

Tell him I said "hi". His wife, Donna, too, if she's there.

--DD

agree.gif

yep, Mike was a great instructor for Sherryl and myself when we did the drivers school up at Candlestick in our 911..I'd feel safe with him MDB2.gif
theol00
I will see you there - but your date is off - it is on September 24 and 24 beerchug.gif smilie_flagge24.gif smilie_wirdgut.gif
theol00
I think I am right - on the 23 is a Green Flag - or NASA event! sad.gif
Trekkor
Theo, this is a Trackmasters/SVR-PCA DE on Friday the 23rd.

About 16 hours from this post. burnout.gif

KT
DanT
Trekkor,
Mike is a good guy. I have known him for 12-15 years. He is a very technically oriented guy.

He will be very good for your first real track experience. Your 914 will be a much different animal than his 911 racecar if he has it there for a ride along for you.
His car was built and prepped by Matt Lawrance. He owns a shop in Reno. Matt was a IMSA racer years ago. He also built HanK Watts 600+ HP '72 911 twin turbo.
I will see you sometime in the PM since I have to go into my office in the AM.
I am not sure about your group on Friday but GGR is running CW direction on Sat and Sun.
CW is a very different animal at TH. End of turn one you are looking at the end of the pit wall. Going up the the hill at Turn 8 and 5 is a blind apex.
I would anticipate your times to be somewhere in the 2:3+.00 time frame depending on how Mike lets you go by the PM, and how your learning curve goes.
As said earlier be sure to make sure your brakes are in tip top cond. You will find yourself over using the brakes in the AM until you get comfortable.
wink.gif biggrin.gif
Trekkor
Glad to hear so much positive feedback about Mike. clap.gif

He was very friendly on the phone and would likely've talked as long as I wanted to...

Really feeling good right now.

Gates open in less than nine hours from this post.

KT
retrotech
Mat Lawrance built the 2.8 engine in my 914, for the previous owner. Can I get more feed back about him as an engine builder?

Thanks
DanT
One of the best. Who did you buy the car from? Might know who it is.
Matt is an excellent engine builder. Just depends on what the PO wanted. Matt builds sprint motors that go ~25-30 Hours before needing a top end freshening. His enduro motors go a long time before rebuild. Do you have any specifics from the PO on the motor or its usages?
Dave_Darling
I ran a 2:35 my first (only) time trial at Thunder Hill. B-i class car, but on hard-compound street tires. (And I mean hard, not Falken Azenis type tires!) I think Trek can beat that if he tries...

--DD
Trekkor
Yeah!!! clap.gif

Awesome!!!

Why do you dangle this stuff in front of me? You know I am weak...Now I'm a "Track Junkie" lol2.gif

This was not a timed event so I do not have any lap times.
I don't have any pictures or video yet.

Everything was fine and dandy until the last lap of the last session... dry.gif

I came in to turn 5 way too hot, didn't get on the brake soon enough. I could tell that there was *no* way i would ever make that that turn. So i did the smartest thing I could. I got on the brakes and went straight off the track and kept in control all the way to the bottom off the hill where turn 6 starts.

No damage, and no problem. It really didn't shake me as it seemed like the thing to do.

Maybe someone took a pic of that.

I got the "black" flag as a result and as I came down the hot pit lane the checkered was flying for my session so i only lost one lap as a result.

Oh, yeah. I NEED the oil cooler up front if I want to keep playing...

KT smilie_flagge24.gif
drew365
Glad you had fun Trekkor. I can assume I'll be seeing you at some track event in the future.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.