Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tdgray
I know this is a really stupid question but here goes. Just purchased a 73 914 1.7 to restore. Waiting on my repair manual to arrive but thought I would poke around a little bit. The PO said the fuel pump is bad so I thought I would check if it was really it or just the relay. Here it comes.... where is the fuel pump???? I have traced gas lines but have found nothing. Little help and please don't be to brutal for such a dumb question. Thanks

Todd
SirAndy
on a 73, it should be on the passenger side, under the engine bay, in the corner.

jack up the car (passanger side) and get under it in front of the rear tire.
there you will find the fuel pump.

sometimes people relocate them into the front trunk. (later cars had that done by the factory). i have seen 2 different styles:

1) under the gas tank. jack up the passanger side in the front.
get under the car behind the front wheel. if you have a metal sheet cover for your suspension, remove it. you'll find a large oval hole. look inside and you'll see the gas tank bottom with the fuel lines. the pump might be there ...

2) front trunk. some people have moved the pump into the front trunk for easier access ...

later,
Andy
SirAndy
oh, and welcome to the board, Todd beerchug.gif
Brad Roberts
Welcome Todd. clap56.gif

We are a VERY friendly group... I wish people wouldnt think their questions are "stupid".. we all started the same way you did. With the web now.. the Haynes manuel is almost uneeded.

Please.. ASK all your questions HERE. We have a lot of lurkers who dont actually ask any questions... but they get answers from other peoples questions.

B
Doug Leggins
We have a lot of lurkers who dont actually ask any questions... but they get answers from other peoples questions.

I resemble that remark. - This site is a terrific source for information. I likely would have kicked the habit months ago if it were not for the information and Camaraderie shared here. --Thanks to all that make this exchange work! - Admin and Participants. beerchug.gif

BTW - Welcome Todd
tdgray
Thanks Guys. Seems like a great place for information. Found the fuel pump last night. No juice to it though. by jumping it it works so must be the relay or wiring. I guess I will save that for another day but at least I'm on the right track. Thank again for the welcomes and the help. clap56.gif

Todd
URY914
Welcome aboard!!

Hey, my wife is from Akron. Are you an Orangeman from Ellet??

Paul
Lawrence
Your diagnosis of the relay is probably dead on. Relay failure is much more common than fuel pump failure.

Swap them out with a known good one from the car, and check it again!

-Lawrence smoke.gif
i hate chasing wiring gremlins

P.S. Welcome to the BBS!
seanery
Todd,

There is a 914 show this weekend in Maumee, OH.
tdgray
You know I did swap another relay from another spot to the fuel pump socket but it did nothing. I went ahead and ordered one from PP this AM figuring that they are not interchangable. Am I wrong? If so I guess I have bigger problems. I guess I also made a big boo-boo when I checked the voltage on the terminals (ie terminal 85) without unhooking the lead from terminal 19 to the brains. Did I kill it? Late at night + Beer = stupidity and $$$$$$ out of pocket. Thanks for all the help guys.

Todd

ps. Paul I am from Uniontown which is just south of Ellet.
Alfred
Here's (scroll down to page 6) some info to help you test your fuel pump and relay.

Alfred
kafermeister
QUOTE(seanery @ Aug 6 2003, 09:42 AM)
Todd,

There is a 914 show this weekend in Maumee, OH.

There is also a VW show in (arround?) Columbus this Saturday. There are usually a few 914s there.

Flier in PDF format here.

Rick
tdgray
Thanks for the show updates guys. I wish I could but I just got back from Columbus last weekend for an MG Meet so I must catch up on some work. No time for FUN this weekend mad.gif

Keep me informed though be nice to meet some "REAL" Porsche enthusiats wink.gif
kafermeister
If you can make it to Cincinnati in Sept, the VW-Porsche Family reunion on Sept 21 at GE Park.

CVC Show Datails here.

Rick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.