Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 14" rims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
At the autoX I was pushing 6K in 2nd often but really unable to go to 3rd.

Anyone ever tried to drop a rim and tire size enough to really effect gearing?

Are low profile 14" tires out there?

Is this dumb? huh.gif
Aaron Cox
205/50 15's?

if so...
you can flip a ZD fifth gear to 3rd, and you get a wicked shorter 3rd
Mueller
what org and class are you running in?

at least in my area for PCA, if someone wants to run a 14" rim, the tire must be 60 series so that eliminates the possible gearing advantage...your club might be different..........
qa1142
biggrin.gif

I am running 205/50 15's

Feels like
1) rebuild for RPM so I can extend range 1K
2) go back to 195/55 or 60's so I can stay in 2nd
3) drop to 14" rims and like a 40 series tire and jump to 3rd
qa1142
guess I need to go read those rules too
unsure.gif
J P Stein
I see guys in the Miatas going to 13 inch wheels just for that reason......but their gear shift is like a light switch. Some have gone back to 15 inch wheels as Kumho now offers a 215 X 50(?) tire....these are not widely available as yet......these guys are serious.

The most common reason for not up shifting is lack of room to make it worth while. My car in 2nd @ 7100 is good for 58 mph.
I can raise the limiter to 7300 safely ....maybe 7500 not so safely or bounce it off the limiter for 50 feet...or short shift into 3rd & let it torque thru it. Since by the time I find my self running out of gear (in most cases) I am 2 or 3 runs into the session and some of the solutions can this can cause other problems that need to be made on the fly....braking distance, down shifting...yada....so most times I'll just let it bounce. The best solution would be larger dia tires or raising 2nd gear ($$$). IMO, the stock gearing in the 901 is too short for AX.....for me, at least.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.