Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rust sucks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nomore4
I'm working on a 6 conversion. Got the oil tank in, cooler mods done and started routing the lines. Did'nt plan on removing the 4 cyl. motor mount but wanted the extra room for the oil line. No problem, I got tools huh.gif . What a PITA!! That metal is thick and 3 layers in spots. No signs of rot in this area before, then little hole turns to big hole headbang.gif . Removing the mount revealed a nice hole. Needed to remove the pan triangle to get good metal and I don't think they could of had any more spot welds in this little peice sad.gif . Something got done so it was a good day! beerchug.gif

joe b.
Jeroen
Yep, this is the most complicated part of the 914 (IMO)
There's even more sheetmetal on the inside...
Good luck fixing this

cheers,

Jeroen
nomore4
Started digging up the seam sealer where the floor meets the inner long. and found more rot, imagine that!! It was hiding behind the 4 cyl motor mount, under the pan triangle, and under seam sealer. Now I'm looking at rot from the old motor mnt. to past the jack post along the inner long. barf.gif I going try and pull that corner of the floor later but I'm afraid to see what I find sad.gif

Jeroen, Thanks for the good luck!! I check your site regularly for inspiration clap56.gif .

joe b.

the pic is of the corner of the floor on the drivers side
Jeroen
Here's some pics from 2nites work biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
second
Jeroen
third...
nomore4
You're sick aktion035.gif . I'm hope mine does'nt go that far confused24.gif .

joe
TimT
Jeroen,

those pics make my 911 resto seem like a piece of cake...
Jeroen
Well... still not sure if I'm gonna keep this tub blink.gif

I will need to cut out the rear framerails as well (from the firewall up to the shocktowers) and fab new suspension pick-up points
It would be cool to build it all like that, but on the other hand, I'd also like to drive this thing a.s.a.p. biggrin.gif

I have a lead on 2 rollers. A driving 2.0 that has some damage because it fell of a garage lift (how do you do that???) and a 1.7 parts car
Guy's asking $3000 for both of them, so I think I'll go take a look at 'em this weekend...

cheers,

Jeroen
JRust
Hey I take offense to that! I don't suck mad.gif
Yah rust in a 914 does though. I got many a barbs for my name & owning a 914. Personally dealing with the rust in my 73' I'd say you are definately better off buying a good tub. All those rust repairs absolutely blow & aren't typically cheap! Good luck on your quest
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.