Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's Suspension Time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Well I think I have my motor pretty well sorted out and running fairly well so I'm going to move on to the next phase - Suspension and brakes.

Here is what I want out of the car: Awesome handling on twisty mountain roads with the very occasinal DE/AX.

This is what I have to start with: Stock suspension with drilled hubs running 16x6 5 lugs with 205-55 Kumho Ecsta 712's.

What I have procured so far: 1 23mm weltmeister adjustable front and stock rear sway bar and a set of 150 lb. springs.

Budget is $1500.00.

Okay everybody, start my shopping list. smile.gif
Mueller
yellow Koni adjustables front and rear......correctly working suspension bushings....proper alignment (not too aggresive since you are driving on the street)
Brando
Koni adjustables all around... should be 250 a pair...

Get a rear swaybar.
Trekkor
Good advice above clap.gif

Add 150# rear springs on adjustable perches.
Also look into the weld-in chassis stiffening kit by Engman.

Oooops, your money's already gone dry.gif

Seriously, you need about $2k to play hard.

KT
Allan
Okay, budget is upped to $1500.00...
Elliot_Cannon
Hi Allan,
I'd like to help you out but my consultation fee is $500 and that would put you back to $1000 again. So I'll keep my opinions to my self and save you $500. You don't have to thank me. laugh.gif
Cheers, Elliot
Allan
So that's it? Sway bars, Koni's and bushings?

No Turbo tie-rods, bump steer kit, corner balance?
Aaron Cox
New Ball joints and tie rods make a huge difference.....

i also like the no give of the poly bushings..... but rollers would be sweet....

i have koni's and bilstein sports in rear....

maybe procure the 911 front end and get the vented brakes.....
rhodyguy
consider new wheel bearings while you're in there, be done with it. going to lower the front end? get the bump steer kit. ball joints and turbo tierods for sure.

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 22 2005, 08:46 AM)
consider new wheel bearings while you're in there, be done with it. going to lower the front end? get the bump steer kit. ball joints and turbo tierods for sure.

k

and a good alignment does wonders. 4 wheel...

threaded collars and a corner balance biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
right-o aa. after the new bearings. up the ante a bit and make sure the rear control arm bushing are good. new rear wheel bearings? blast all the bits, good paint or powder coat? we'll have you up to 2.3 or 2.4 in no time. biggrin.gif

k
phantom914
And while your doing the rear suspension, swap that engine out for a six.

Andrew
Trekkor
swap that engine out for a six

Yes, do that...Perfect. rolleyes.gif

KT
rhodyguy
just install some of eric shea's DONE control arms. if i had any money, that's what i'd do.

k
Brando
If you're going to spend the money for bushings, go with Elephant Racing's Polybronze setup. They're the median between full-track application and "i want something with low friction for driving AND fun".

Will outperform poly bushings (if you keep them lubed).

Elephant Racing.
TravisNeff
screw the poly bushings, stock or upgrade beyond poly. I have them and I did my best to get them fitted right, lots of lube. First 1K miles was great, fantastic. Now you can hear me coming a mile down the road from the freakin squeaks I got going on. It completely messes me up trying to hear the extra voices in my head.
TravisNeff
Oh, and I would start with the basics and what you have left - go from there. Ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, bump steer spacers and alignment. If you have money left over, shocks are great - you already have a swaybar, so bump up the springs in the rear. That'd spend 1500 in a hurry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.