Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to cast your own engine block..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Austin Healey Alloy Engine Block

sure it's not a Porsche motor, but the basics pretty much apply to most engine blocks and heads.....

You need to view all 4 pages (Patternmaking, Casting, Machining and
Assembly) to get a good grasp on how it is done.

lapuwali
That's really something. Designing and making a complete block or head casting is something I'd not want to attempt. Aussies are simply insane.
airsix
ohmy.gif

That is just beyond amazing.

-Ben M.
airsix
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 21 2005, 03:24 PM)
Aussies are simply insane.

No, I think we're just lazy. They certainly know how to get things done. That's for sure.

-Ben M. (lazy American)
GWN7
Interesting reading beerchug.gif
lapuwali

Brits produce ugly things that don't work. The Italians produce beautiful things that don't work. The French, who produce weird things that don't work. The Germans produce stuff that just works. The Swedes make weird things that work. The Aussies make ugly things that work.

The Kiwis, however, produce beautiful things that work (RIP John Brittain).

Americans produce all the money to buy all of these things...
biggrin.gif
Mueller
I noticed the head is not a crossflow design..wonder if that is in the works as well smile.gif

finding this site has nothing to do with me visiting someone this weekend that is building thier own foundry so that I can get some tips or the fact that I just bought a crucible that can hold 35 pounds of melted aluminum.....no engine blocks for me...however the thought of new watercooled heads sounds appealing screwy.gif smash.gif welder.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE (Mueller @ Sep 21 2005, 03:53 PM)
I noticed the head is not a crossflow design..wonder if that is in the works as well smile.gif

finding this site has nothing to do with me visiting someone this weekend that is building thier own foundry so that I can get some tips or the fact that I just bought a crucible that can hold 35 pounds of melted aluminum.....no engine blocks for me...however the thought of new watercooled heads sounds appealing screwy.gif smash.gif welder.gif

On watercooled heads, just shave off the cooling fins and weld up a box around the head below the valve cover gasket surface to the head sealing surface. No need for a new casting.
michel richard
Whoooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
airsix
QUOTE (Mueller @ Sep 21 2005, 03:53 PM)
finding this site has nothing to do with me visiting someone this weekend that is building thier own foundry so that I can get some tips or the fact that I just bought a crucible that can hold 35 pounds of melted aluminum.....no engine blocks for me...however the thought of new watercooled heads sounds appealing  :screwy:  :smash:  :welder:

Mike,
When you get your foundry up and running please make some of these. wub.gif If you cast the cases and machine the cranks I'll pay for the cylinders and heads. wink.gif (Yeah, ok, that's a bit of a lop-sided deal.)user posted image
redshift
I am going to carve a motor from a solid wooden block.

Wish me luck!

M
Rick_Eberle
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 22 2005, 09:24 AM)
Aussies are simply insane.

Hey, we gotta do something with all those left over beer cans! beerchug.gif
zymurgist
295 hp / 300 ft-lbs from an old-school carbed 3.8, with an aluminum block. Don't know about y'all, but I'm impressed.
J P Stein
Hay Ben, isn't that the V8 that you now can get in a Radical?
I wonder how radical the price is.
Even I would swap that into a 914....if some one gave it to me. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
i have enough room in my garage for a large electric kiln. all i need is a large heap of "green" sand, a deep flask, a core making machine, and a home refinance to pay for the electricity. smile.gif

k
phantom914
QUOTE (redshift @ Sep 21 2005, 08:17 PM)

Wish me luck!

M

Use Balsa. Much easier to work with.
J P Stein
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Sep 22 2005, 06:35 AM)
QUOTE (redshift @ Sep 21 2005, 08:17 PM)

Wish me luck!

M

Use Balsa. Much easier to work with.

BTDT. I fired it up. Kept me warm for a while. wink.gif
redshift
QUOTE (zymurgist @ Sep 22 2005, 06:39 AM)
295 hp / 300 ft-lbs from an old-school carbed 3.8, with an aluminum block. Don't know about y'all, but I'm impressed.

You're easy.

Show me a warp drive core, or a phase disruptor. Show me your tits..

rolleyes.gif

M
-there goes his thread-
zymurgist
You don't wanna see mine. Seriously.
Brian Mifsud
Hey Mike!

Now I see what you are talking about with the "Radical" engine.. .something I thought of years ago with a group of guys I knew who were trying to do a new motorcycle (Morbidelli beat us to it though....... V-8 motorcycle that can handle...)

I'll be tagging along to check out the foundry. Another Idea on a great 914 engine....

Take 2 GEO Prizm 1.0litre 3 cylinder engines (dirt dirt cheap) and get a 4 valve 2.0 V-6 that should beat the pants off the Porsche 2.0/6

Mueller
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Sep 22 2005, 09:23 AM)
Take 2 GEO Prizm 1.0litre 3 cylinder engines (dirt dirt cheap) and get a 4 valve 2.0 V-6 that should beat the pants off the Porsche 2.0/6

I've had some oddball ideas in the past.....I think that one takes the cake, hahahahaha

now I've wasted about 20minutes surfing the 'net for info on those motors...it appears a new V-block would have to be made since the cylinders are not seperate like the motorcycle engines, also I think the 3 bangers are only 2 valves per cylinder wacko.gif laugh.gif
Brian Mifsud
Hey Again Mike..
thought they were 4 valvers.. oh well. I was thinking of cutting off the bottom or each block, so you'd have aluminum heads, iron block, and aluminum crankcase...

hey, Triumph makes a 4 valve 900cc triple..... they are loosely based on Kawasaki architecture (very very loosely)...

For Wacky engine ideas.. look no further than your "History of German (and British) Motorcycles" the've already tried it all. (Ariel Square Four.. I rest my case)

Other Casting Ideas:

Type IV Flat-6 or Flat-8.. forget about improving the crappy combustion chambers,, just add more of them.... all you need to do is carve up some old crankcases to use as male mold

Type I Flat-6/Flat 8....

Harley Davidson Heads for Above engines.... (tons of aftermarket choices)...

BMW R1000 "Oil Head" Pushrod "in Head" units.... try them also.. 4 valves/cylinder.

( I really want the 8... heads are easier than for a 6)

914 Aluminum "banana" trailing arms set up for 911 rear end parts..

Improved 901 Transaxle casting.. stiffer, meatier.. un-cantilever 1st gear while your in there..

Aluminum Engine Mount Bar - take some weight off the car
Aluminum Heater Boxes and "Flapper" boxes....
neo914-6
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Sep 22 2005, 05:57 PM)
Improved 901 Transaxle casting.. stiffer, meatier.. un-cantilever 1st gear while your in there..

You may have something there...just make it cheaper than a 915 or 930 and you can sell to the V8 and mid-engine replicars enthusiasts.
Qarl
Wicked sh!t man. I like the ingenuity. The quality looks amazing.

I think new improved TIV cases and heads would be da bomb!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.