Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailing arm movement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BenNC
Hi guys. I'm working on my first 914 project. It's actually my first real automotive project. Might as well start at the top right?

Anyway, I just got through replacing the trailing arm bushings with some fancy Polygraphite beasts. When I reinstalled the arms I was expecting the arm to rotate fairly freely on the shaft. What I have is that they will move, but with a fair amount of pressure. This is an improvement over the old bushings where the only movement that I got was from flex of the bushing, but it still doesn't seem quite right.

The simple question is, what is normal movement for the trailing arm?

Thanks
Jeroen
Hey Ben,

Welcome to the troublesome world of suspension bushings biggrin.gif
These have been discussed over and over and over, and yes, they are known to bind

There is no easy way out... you'll have to make them fit as good as you can.

Basically what happens, when you press the bushings into the arm, the inner diameter of the bushings change.
So you'll have to sand, file or machine the inner surface so it matches the outer diameter of the shaft.

If the bushings bind, the suspension will squeek, and does not function optimally

Make sure you have the bushing grease/lubricant, and make some grooves on the inner surface of the bushing (use a dremel tool), so there is a little 'gutter' to keep the grease.
Some people even install zerk-fittings so they can add grease without needing to take the suspension apart.

Check this thread, I think you'll find some usefull info there. Also mention what's said about trimming the outer surface of the bushing where it meets the inner suspension 'ear' to avoid the ovaling...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=292

Browse back some, or do a search on "bushings" or "suspension" and you'll find more info
(info on the front suspension bushings is just as usefull, so keep reading!)

I'm sure others will jump on this thread as well...

And when in doubt, don't be shy to ask

cheers,

Jeroen
BenNC
Thanks Jeroen,

Looks like I get a little more experience in removing/reinstalling the trailing arms. I did add the grooves and grease fittings, but I missed the part about reaming out the ID and filing the ends. Should be easy enough to fix.

I should have known better than to think that something would have went together easily on the first try. I think that if that ever happens I'll be convinced that something is wrong and tear it all down anyway.

Don't worry I won't be shy about asking questions. I'm just starting the reassembly process, so I'm sure that there will be plenty of "huh?" moments.

Ben
J P Stein
My rear bushings were tight when I put em' in, also.
The good news is that they do loosen up with use.
I relubed mine this winter. One of these winters, I'll put a better set-up in there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.