Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SHE LIVES!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
Cranked the engine w/o the coil powered to get oil pressure up. Yup, green light went out. Whew, one down, one to go. Poured some gas into the fuel tank. Connected the coil and cranked...and cranked...and cranked sad.gif

Nothing.

Well, the dizzy cap and rotor looked worn so off to the store and bought replacements. Cranked. And cranked.

Nothing.

Poured a whole container of fuel injection cleaner and gas dryer. Poured in about 3 gallons of 91 octane. Fuel pump was indeed doing its job.

All wires connected and on the correct coil terminals. Oops, #1 and #2 spark plug wires on wrong post ohmy.gif headbang.gif Fixed. And cranked. And cranked.

Nothing.

Pulled out the Haynes shop manual again and did the trouble-shooting in the Ignition section. Even switched coils. Everything was testing good but my engine analyzer was showing no spark from anything. blink.gif Swapped back the original coil and...oh, I need to push down harder!...cranked. Engine analyzer flashed the red LED so that means it detected current in the #1 spark plug lead -- SPARK!!!

Cranked some more and putta puttta. Cranked and putta putta pop putta VROOOOOOOM! aktion035.gif

Blipped the throttle and the mufflerless engine roared its mighty 2.0 litre roar and settled down to a lopy idle. The villagers rejoiced and there was much headbanging that evening aktion035.gif mueba.gif beer.gif aktion035.gif

Here's the proof:
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/temp/914-lives.EXE
Self-extracting .zip file. 10Mb in size...sorry dial-up sad.gif
The video does NOT do the exhaust sound justice. It sounds sooooo muscly lol2.gif

All vacuum hoses are in DIRE need of replacement. I adjusted the idle down via the dizzy timing as the idle was close to 2000rpm. New hoses that don't leak will change it all again but I can handle that. She lives, and that's what's important.

Oh, and the reason for all this news...no engine oil leaks (so far). Fuel lines not leaking any more as well screwy.gif Gotta love previous owners ar15.gif

P.S. She still looks like a crap-mobile but she lives!
Carlitos Way
Congrats!!!

I hope to share in your joy soon!!!

Carlos
URY914
smilie_pokal.gif Good for you!!!

The best sound in the world is when an engine you built kicks over.

(OK, maybe not the BEST, but close) biggrin.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
After some triple checking I drove her out of the garage and around the block (remember, the muffler isn't attached). I went thru all the gears as best I could while going 25mph and every one engaged. Well, I think 4th didn't want to go in initially but I was more concerned about any possible on-coming traffic because the sun was directly in front of me and with all the body dust on the windshield my visibility went to almost zero. Every single person that saw me literally stopped what they were doing and just stared. It was awesome!

I pulled into my garage and killed the engine. Set the parking brake and stepped out. Seven of the neighborhood kids (2nd-5th grade) were at the garage entrance and all seven of them were wide-eyed and asking a gazillion questions -- what is it? where's the engine? how big is the engine? you built that? how fast is it? how long have you been working on it? what else did you build? etc. It was a great feeling.

I wire wheeled the exhaust flanges, cleaning them up for the exhaust gaskets that I have to get tomorrow. Then the muffler will go on and I can get her plates renewed. And since she's a 1973...no DOT emissions BS! monkeydance.gif Though we all know the D-jet system actually does quite well. My last Porsche 914 had the 1.8L w/L-jet and it passed emissions no problem. However, exhaust noise was another issue slap.gif
jgara962
I can't make the link work mad.gif

I want to hear it!
Air_Cooled_Nut
Works for me blink.gif I'm using IE 6. Try right clicking on it and Save As... (or something similar) to your hard drive then use Windows Media Player to view it.
redshift
WOOHOO!

My engine sounds like that, but with the loud tack tack tack noise too!

Congrats!

smile.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.