Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jet Blue Aircraft in Trouble
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Evill Ed
Just saw on the news that a Jet Blue Aircraft is circling LAX trying to make an emergency landing. The nose gear is apparently stuck and turned sideways. They have been dumping fuel over the ocean in preparation for the emergency landing.

God I hope they can land this thing safely some how.

Ed

spare time toys
Nose gear is a lot better than a main. They can land then ease it down and slide it on the gear doors. they can keep it on the run way and should be OK. I have done this in the SIM at work. Its tricky but if I can do it a full time bus driver should be able to do it no sweat.
Evill Ed
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Sep 21 2005, 05:16 PM)
Nose gear is a lot better than a main. They can land then ease it down and slide it on the gear doors. they can keep it on the run way and should be OK. I have done this in the SIM at work. Its tricky but if I can do it a full time bus driver should be able to do it no sweat.

The nose gear is down and stuck sideways, thats the problem.

Ed
BMartin914
They made it! clap.gif
Gint
Did you guys see that landing?!?!?! That was incredible!
Evill Ed
Great Job by the crew. I can't believe it stayed straight down the center of the runway. smilie_pokal.gif

Ed
Mike D.
HE DID IT - THAT PILOT IS A HERO! smilie_pokal.gif
Allan
I am amazed that the gear didn't fold.

Great work by the crew...
URY914
Was John Travolta the pilot?
Flat VW
I would think Jet Blue should provide "open bar" for all the passengers after that ride.... beer3.gif

John
Lou W
Pretty amazing landing. ohmy.gif
richardL
Heres a couple of screen caps from KABCs HD coverage

SpecialK
QUOTE (Mike D. @ Sep 21 2005, 07:27 PM)
HE DID IT - THAT PILOT IS A HERO! smilie_pokal.gif

WERD!!!! Pretty scary to watch! I understand that most of the passengers were on their way to Kennedy! I'll bet there were alot of second thoughts about a connecting flight! unsure.gif
richardL
after the fact - nosegear held up wonderfully!
SpecialK
They don't call them "Scare Bus" for nothin'

(unbiased oppinion coming from a Boeing employee wink.gif )
TonyAKAVW
At work this afternoon we were all in my office huddled around watching it. I work maybe 3-4 miles from LAX, and as I left work at 6 pm I saw at least 4 helicopters hovering around the airport. Funny thing was that this morning they had some kind of a drill at a metro rail station nearby and there were tons of law enforcement and emergency vehicles. I guess they chose the right day to see if they were ready.

-Tony
Brent
News here said all passangers were watching it live since they have satelite tv's in headrests. Once those flames kicked up, I bet it got a wee bit loud in the cabin!

(Richard, what capture card are you using?, those are crisp!)
redshift
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Sep 21 2005, 11:30 PM)
They don't call them "Scare Bus" for nothin'

(unbiased oppinion coming from a Boeing employee wink.gif )

I don't fly on those crates. I won't get on anything that doesn't have proven technology.

smile.gif

I think the one just flying into the trees, full of Scarebus employees says all it needs to say.

M
tdgray
My company makes landing gear. Not for scarebus, just for Boeing.

Trust me that freakin landing gear ain't goin no where. Shit is super strong, thats why it is made from forgings... not machined metal.

Great job by those pilots. smilie_pokal.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (tdgray @ Sep 22 2005, 04:24 AM)
Shit is super strong, thats why it is made from forgings... not machined metal.

Do you mean that "billet is better" is bullshit? laugh.gif
rhodyguy
that pilot sure earned his pay. long afternoon for the passengers. i was surprised that model airbus jet has no provission for dumping fuel. ohmy.gif hense the circling for nearly 4 hours. they were patient tho. when the stairs rolled up i would've been sprinting for the door. during those hours spent circling i would have been smoking cigs like crazy. looking death in the eye... go ahead, arrest me for breaking some federal ban on smoking on air transportation.

k
tdgray
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Sep 22 2005, 09:19 AM)

Anything forged is always stronger.

When you make a forging the grain flow of the steel "moves" with the shape of the part, retaining the strength of the steel.

When you machine a part, you just hog the shape out of a bar, interupting the orginal grain flow integrity.

Simple stuff... our motto HEAT IT AND BEAT IT. huh.gif
MJHanna
QUOTE (tdgray @ Sep 22 2005, 08:47 AM)
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Sep 22 2005, 09:19 AM)

Anything forged is always stronger.

When you make a forging the grain flow of the steel "moves" with the shape of the part, retaining the strength of the steel.

When you machine a part, you just hog the shape out of a bar, interupting the orginal grain flow integrity.

Simple stuff... our motto HEAT IT AND BEAT IT. huh.gif

Yeapper I used to buy a lot of "seamless" forgings. When we did first article inspection the supplier would always have to submit a sectioned part. We would look at the grain flow making sure there were no "folds" in the grain stucture. If there were any fold, they would rework the die. Most are made of 7075.
redshift
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 22 2005, 09:23 AM)
i was surprised that model airbus jet has no provission for dumping fuel.

during those hours spent circling i would have been smoking cigs like crazy.

arrest me for breaking some federal ban on smoking on air transportation.

k

Dood! THE ENVIRONMENT!

This is a land of laws. I would have had to kill you, to protect the other passengers.

The ghost of Flt. 914.

ninja.gif

M
rhodyguy
do you think the folks not in 1st class had to pay for cocktails? i wonder how many people on the jet went to the Jet Blue counter and asked "when is the next flight to New York?".

k
J P Stein
Yes, I work in Boeing's "Center of Excellence for Complex Machined Structures" (no shit) as an inspector... when I'm not on strike. biggrin.gif
Sometimes I'm guilty of asking a question when I already know the answer. Mostly, it's to find out who knows what.

Bullshit is rampant on the net....not to be mistaken with a simple misconception. Bullshit is perpetrated by folks that are trying to bluff their way thru... depending on the ignorance of their audience to carry it off.

Good bullshit is an art form that should be reserved
for stuff like bench racin'. biggrin.gif

Most of our aluminum forgings were 7050, but I've kinda gotten out of that end of things. Steel stuff mostly is 4340M.
Ti is .....shit, a bunch of letters & numbers.
Part Pricer
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 22 2005, 11:22 AM)
do you think the folks not in 1st class had to pay for cocktails?

JetBlue doesn't have first class. smile.gif
Elliot_Cannon
I have flown two types of Boeing and Douglas aircraft. They all make the Airbus look like a tinkertoy. I have a friend that used teach in the "Bus" and when it did something wierd and his student asked, "why did it do that"? confused24.gif He would point to the sun visor on which was printed the words "Made in France". ohmy.gif
Cheers, Elliot
Retirement date-- 5-15-2006
PS Nice job by the Jet Blue crew. Right on centerline. Most important. clap.gif
campbellcj
I was very glad to see the plane land safely (especially since I travel by air quite often.)

Right as the drama unfolded, "My Yahoo" showed this at least twice in a row -- definitely an ironic wrinkle in their keyword driven ad engine, or something. huh.gif

Elliot_Cannon
Apparently not the first time this model airbus has had this problem.
Elliot
joea9146
Does anyone remember a few years ago a Trump airlines plane had a problem with the center landing gear. It would not come down. So the pilot bounced the plane down the Runway on the one center wheel that was down and the jaring allowed the other wheeel to drop. Than than circled around and landed safely on all wheels. That was some pretty fancy flying....

At least I think thats what happened ... it was a while ago.... huh.gif
redshift
Joe... did you say 'bounce'?

boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

M
joea9146
Bounce boldblue.gif Bounce boldblue.gif
Bounce boldblue.gif Bounce boldblue.gif
davep
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Sep 22 2005, 10:22 AM)
PS Nice job by the Jet Blue crew. Right on centerline. Most important. clap.gif

I heard today the pilot was not impressed by his 'picture perfect' landing. Says he: I was off the center-line by 6".
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 22 2005, 05:23 AM)
that pilot sure earned his pay. long afternoon for the passengers. i was surprised that model airbus jet has no provission for dumping fuel. ohmy.gif hense the circling for nearly 4 hours. they were patient tho. when the stairs rolled up i would've been sprinting for the door. during those hours spent circling i would have been smoking cigs like crazy. looking death in the eye... go ahead, arrest me for breaking some federal ban on smoking on air transportation.

k

Given it's happened at least 7 times to Airbus aircraft, the procedure's probably included in the pilot training ............... The Cap'n
J P Stein
Yeah, the pilot comes up on the intercom:
"We're going to crash, light em' up if ya gottem' "
SpecialK
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Sep 22 2005, 09:30 AM)
Ti is .....shit, a bunch of letters & numbers.

Wish my car was made of it, then I could tell rust to KMA! bootyshake.gif
Katmanken
Yep,

The all titanium car. No rust!

Wash it in distilled water or you are in for a shock.

Seems the chlorine in regular tap water will embrittle the titanium and all kinda fun suff happens....

Bolt heads break off, foils and plates crack, etc.

Found that on the SR-71..

Whassa matter JP?

What's wrong with a material number like Ti-6-4-ELI?

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.