Full Version: OT Hurricane
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
Headed for Texas.
morph
I hope everyone can stay safe. sad.gif

Hiedi
jimtab
All I can say is I guess the jury must have come back in on global warming eh mr president....dipshit.....2 force 5s just as predicted..... bootyshake.gif
BMartin914
It's big, mean and nasty. I'd say run as fast as you can in the opposite direction. ohmy.gif
iamchappy
I wish they would drop a big Hydrogen bomb into it and give it a black eye. mad.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE (jimtab @ Sep 21 2005, 07:15 PM)
All I can say is I guess the jury must have come back in on global warming eh mr president....dipshit.....2 force 5s just as predicted..... bootyshake.gif

..and I thought it was god punishing us for electing Bush and invading Iraq. Lets give politics a rest.
JB 914
I grew up in Houston and all my Family lives in Ft. Bend Co. which is southwest of Houston. My brothers have beach houses in Port O'Connor and Rockport. If the eye passes anywhere close to the beach houses the will be gone from the storm surge. sad.gif

I spoke with all my family tonite and they are leaving Thursday morning unless the storm stays on a westward path.

I was in Houston for Hurricane Alicia in 1983. that was a Cat 3 storm. you couldn't drive in downtown houston due to all the falling glass from the sky scrapers. some streets had several feet of broken glass. and the flooding was bad.

i'm more worried about the wind on this one. it's clocking at 165 mph now and that's going to take quite while to slow down and could do extreme damage 50+ miles inland or more. not to mention all the flooding from rain fall.

Verruckt
Speaking of politics and hurricanes...

This is only for mere WTF factor. No slant expressed, or implied, just WTF... wearing a tinfoil hat may help when reading this.

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/09/08/kgb...gbkatrina.shtml

I hope you Texans stay safe. Go inland, take everyone w/ you you possibly can. Just take care!
redshift
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Sep 21 2005, 11:23 PM)

..and I thought it was god punishing us for electing Bush and invading Iraq. Lets give politics a rest.

Sun activity.

M
Mike D.
Hey Joe B. - Fellow Texan here - Howdy
I was born in Houston and grew up in LaPorte, Southwest, right on Galveston Bay. I remember Alicia, we no power for 7 days, and the water came right up to our front porch. My parents still live there, They left for Dallas and my brothers house for the time being. I still have several friends in the area, in fact one was getting married this Sat. They're moving the wedding to Las Vegas. One of my friends owns a Rock-n-roll Club call Scout Bar in Webster near Clear Lake. The place backs right up to a Bayou. He spent all night last night moving all the expensive gear out.

On the NOAA Site you can check bouy reading, earlier today one had a water temp of 87...

-Mike D.
JB 914
QUOTE (Mike D. @ Sep 21 2005, 08:58 PM)
Hey Joe B. - Fellow Texan here - Howdy

Hey Mike,

Glad your folks got out.

if the storm track stays right now it will go right over my familys homes in Ft. Bend Co

Let's hope it goes west
jimtab
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Sep 21 2005, 07:23 PM)

Stupid has nothing to do with politics....in a perfect world...do you suppose he'll do a better job for his "home state"?
JB 914
QUOTE (jimtab @ Sep 21 2005, 09:25 PM)

Stupid has nothing to do with politics....in a perfect world...do you suppose he'll do a better job for his "home state"?

Before you call others "Stupid" maybe you should do a little research on what causes hurricanes. I'll give you a hint: It doesn't involve "global warming"
redshift
Oh please! Everyone knows that George Bush causes hurricanes, because he hates black people... unsure.gif and Texas?

I'll bet Karl Rove isn't a Texan.

M
MJHanna
People trying to get out are stuck on I 45, they have not made it a one way. Poeple trying to leave have gone 20-30 miles in 6 hours. and thats leaving at 2:00am
I have friends that gave up an went home.... sad.gif ..Its going to get ugly headbang.gif
Gint
My mom flew back home from Houston Monday. My aunt and 90 year old grandma left Houston for Nacogdoches Tuesday before the traffic got real bad.
jimtab
QUOTE (PKRMONY @ Sep 21 2005, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (jimtab @ Sep 21 2005, 09:25 PM)

Before you call others "Stupid" maybe you should do a little research on what causes hurricanes. I'll give you a hint: It doesn't involve "global warming"

As a matter of fact I DO know a little about weather systems and they get their strength from the warmth of the water they form over...whether it's a pacific typhoon or a hurricane the warmth of the water has EVERYTHING to do with the strength and size of the storm...and even a 1 degree difference in the water temp has a huge impact on the system...now you do YOU"RE homework.
Lou W
Posted on Sep 22 2005, 12:31 AM Oh please! Everyone knows that George Bush causes hurricanes, because he hates black people... unsure.gif and Texas?

M
biggrin.gif
JB 914
QUOTE (jimtab @ Sep 22 2005, 05:31 AM)

..and even a 1 degree difference in the water temp has a huge impact on the system...now you do YOU"RE homework.

Jim,

If you want to continue putting your foot in your mount go right ahead. I'm not going to stop you.

In fact, as part of my "homework" i was watching a interview with a former NOAA expert on the subject of Hurricanes just last night. Where he discussed : The warming of the ocean that causes Hurrincanes is "Cyclical" and it applies to a specific area off West Africa. It has no relation to any "global warming".

JB 914
QUOTE (redshift @ Sep 21 2005, 11:31 PM)
Oh please! Everyone knows that George Bush causes hurricanes, because he hates black people... unsure.gif and Texas?

M

you forgot that he and Rove blew up the levees too to protect the "rich folk"
Gint
Knock off the political crap in this thread. I'd hate to lock it as I know there are people that are interested in the subject of the thread.
morph
my sister lives in tyler.thats not to close to the coast i hope.havent heard from her for a while.
james
J P Stein
Global warming? I can live with.
An Ice Age? I'm agin' it.

Since the last one, we have had unusually moderate temperature stability (10000 years worth) which allowed civilization to rise. Global warming (tho moderate ) is a fact.
What causes it is in question.

My own opinion is that it is caused by hot air generated by those shrill greenies that want you to believe it's the end of the world......and only *they* can save you. Mostly their solution is to reduce CO2 production in the "first world" and transfer it to the "third world".
Do you have any effin' idea what that means?

Edit:
Hurricanes are natures way of cooling things down. The big picture don't really matter if you happen to be in the way.
I feel for the folks in the gulf states.
KevinP
Joe,

Thanks for putting that one to rest!!!! Its amazing that we go thru 30 years of almost no major Hurricane activity in Florida then overnight we( filthy captialist) warm the earth and now blame this (current activity) on global warming!

If your take the time to due just a small amount of historic research you can learn alot about weather cycles. And you know- the current cycle just so happens to fall right within all predicted patterns- image that!!!!!!

I guess if one was to really believe that this is all due to global warming, one could give up driving their 914 and walk or ride a bicyle.

Boy, its a good thing that we are able to share our opinions about this. I thank god every day and I am sure glad that Al Gore invented this internet thing.....

--------------------
KP flag.gif
tdgray
QUOTE (KevinP @ Sep 22 2005, 10:47 AM)
Boy, its a good thing that we are able to share our opinions about this. I thank god every day and I am sure glad that Al Gore invented this internet thing.....

lol2.gif chairfall.gif biggrin.gif

I love that one (not political, just about stupid people)
tat2dphreak
I-45 is going to be 1 way in about 10 minutes... north only...

they are saying it will still be a cat 1 by the time it gets up here to Dallas!

Wolf Blitzer is the one who is racist:
wolf blitzer
lotus_65
ahh, i don't know sh!t, but it looks like it's turning north to me. just my 2ยข.
i think they should open the southbound lanes to northbound traffic for the whole coast at this point.
be safe!
it's really great that we're focusing on texas, but i predict landfall between marsh island and morgan city, la.
texas is on the west side of the storm, and will suffer minimally compared to a second louisiana storm.
2:40pm
i've been watching closely, and this is starting to tick me off. cnn keeps going on and on about houston and galviston. they keep showing a radar loop that is hours old, still suggesting that it'll hit around corpus christi. no offense to them, but the storm is coming ashore east of houston, and will again devistate louisiana, as the east side of the hurricane is the strongest. then it'll track almost due north through lake charles and points beyond.
but then again, there's a little different sort of population in lake charles, isn't there mr. blitzer.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Sep 22 2005, 08:57 AM)

wolf blitzer

Crap... Betty is home alone. And she doesn't know how to set the lift under my car. That means the BMW has to sit outside.....

Never been in a hurricane... this sucks.

MJHanna
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Sep 22 2005, 09:15 AM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Sep 22 2005, 08:57 AM)

wolf blitzer

Crap... Betty is home alone. And she doesn't know how to set the lift under my car. That means the BMW has to sit outside.....

I bet she could learn..... wink.gif I know you can explain it to her biggrin.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Sep 22 2005, 08:15 AM)

It's windy and wet! biggrin.gif

Denton should be high enough ground when the Trinity actually gets water in it.
Lou W
A lady on the Fox network said it took her 6 hours to go 8 miles, leaving Galviston. ohmy.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Lou W @ Sep 22 2005, 10:42 AM)
A lady on the Fox network said it took her 6 hours to go 8 miles, leaving Galviston. ohmy.gif

hope she's not in a hummer, she'll be out of gas in 2 more miles
iamchappy
Maybe they should put some thought into dragging a mountain range of iceburgs into the gulf.
iamchappy
They should close off the all the highway lanes going into town and use them for evacuation going out, they could still detour traffic into the city via other highways or side roads couldnt they?
JB 914
QUOTE (Gint @ Sep 22 2005, 06:29 AM)
Knock off the political crap in this thread. I'd hate to lock it as I know there are people that are interested in the subject of the thread.

I only called bs.gif when i see it.

I grew up in that area and ALL my family live right in the path.

I still don't think most of the nation realizes the level of destruction these storms can do, even after Katrina.

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (iamchappy @ Sep 22 2005, 11:17 AM)
They should close off the all the highway lanes going into town and use them for evacuation going out, they could still detour traffic into the city via other highways or side roads couldnt they?

there are no roads going INTO houston since yesterday @ 5pm... new orleans had about 300k people to evacuate... Houston/galveston has about 4 million, about 1 million is out the rest are trying to get out... the Galveston wall is about 17 feet IIRC, but they are saying that the waves will be near 40 feet...
JB 914
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Sep 22 2005, 09:53 AM)
... the Galveston wall is about 17 feet IIRC, but they are saying that the waves will be near 40 feet...

I'm pretty sure it's 15-20 feet and different sections. it also doesn't extend the whole Island, so, the storm surge will come over top of it and in thru the San Luis pass on the west end of the island and the east end near the port, effectively flooding Galveston Bay.

Qarl
Down to "only" 150 mph right now. Only... confused24.gif

Further weakening is expected. I'll keep my fingers crossed and pray for you guys.

Good luck and get out if possible.

unsure.gif
JB 914
From Weather Underground Blog:
#####
Reconnaissance flights this afternoon indicate that the weakening phase Rita went through has ceased. Her central presure has held steady between 913 and 915 mb between noon and 4 pm, and the surface winds are steady at about 145 - 150 mph. Rita is a strong Category 4 hurricane. She appears to be going through a collapse of the inner eyewall, which the hurricane hunters have noted has a large gap in it. It may take 12 - 24 hours for Rita to rebuild her eyewall. During that time, some fluctuations in strength may occur, but weakening is most likely. This would occur as a result of 10 knots of shear on her south side from an upper-level high pressure system, and from passage over ocean waters with less heat content. By landfall time on Saturday afternoon, it is expected that Rita will be a Category 3 or 4 hurricane, but still carry to the coast a storm surge characteristic of a much stronger hurricane. A Category 4 or 5 level storm surge is likely along a 60 - 80 miles stretch of coast to the right of where the storm makes landfall on Saturday. Storm surge heights will peak at 15 - 20 feet in some bays, and bring the ocean inland up to 50 miles from the coast. Large sections of I-10 between Houston and Beaumont could be inundated, and the flood waters may reach the cities of Beaumont, Orange, and Lake Charles.
######
Seems to be taking a more north easterly course than 24-48hrs ago. any more moves like that and it will probably hit east of galveston to just East of LA Boarder. Not good for New Orleans.
Qarl
I think it's gonna go more north than they think. I predict Eastern TX and Western LA will be affected most.

Qarl
I just listened to three experts on the news who were interviewed regarding the effects of global warming and hurricanes.

The concensus was that the number of hurricanes is in line with the cyclic pattern of storms over the last 130 years since records were kept.

However, global warming has increased the surface temperature of the oceans (especially over the last few years) causing the intensity of the storms to be significantly greater than has been historically the case. Excessively surface temperature is like adding gasoline to a fire. And they noted that the temperature differential needed to create a massive storm vs. an average storm is quite small.

So global warming hasn't necessarily increased the number of hurricanes, it has just fueled the ones we've been getting into much larger, more powerful storms than normal... so say the three experts I listened to.

JB 914
QUOTE (Qarl @ Sep 22 2005, 03:15 PM)

So global warming hasn't necessarily increased the number of hurricanes, it has just fueled the ones we've been getting into much larger, more powerful storms than normal... so say the three experts I listened to.

Qarl,

I don't disagree that the ocean temperature contributes to the intensity of a storm. I just believe it's more a natural ebb and flow of weather patterns.

Probably 10 years ago in California we were having an "El Nino" year with alot of bad weather. The Global warming debate was intense back then too. But, the currents shifted back to the south pacific and the "El Nino" said "adios" and so has the debate. Was that due to "Global Cooling"? or was it just a natural cycle of the oceans and weather. When "El Nino" returns in a few years that debate will come back again i'm sure. Just like in 20 years we will go back to a below average cycle for Hurricanes.

The earth has undergone periods of warming and cooling many times in the millions of years before this current period. There is no consensus as to whether the current observed warming is from natural causes or from human activity.

Computer models can predict possible effects from various amounts of warming, but these depend on many variables that interact in ways we don't understand.

They also depend on Software. As a software developer, forgive me if i'm skeptical that any modeling software is "perfected"

Also, Katrina was a devestating storm because it hit an area with a huge amount of coastal development that has always been at risk from storms. The same is true of the entire gulf coast. The fact that the NOLA flood control system failed also escalated the disaster.

Katrina was a CAT 3 storm. Which is in the middle of the intensity scale. not exactly "above average"

Most Gulf Hurricanes grow in intensity while they are over an area of the central gulf called the "loop current" which is typically warmer. That is why Katrina weakened and Rita has too. They left the "loop current"

The coastal development problem has been know for decades, but, they keep building. And to what standard do they build? is it enough to make it thru a CAT 3 storm? Obviously not. We could learn alot from South Pacific Island nations like the Phillipines that deal with storms often and construct houses in coastal areas to a much higher standard using Concrete.

The levee problem's in NOLA have been around for over 100 years. Having personally done business in NOLA i'm sure we will spend Billions to not fix this problem and make a few more politicians rich. ( and put a few more in jail once convicted for the missing funds!)

Mother Nature put coastal flood plains, marshs and barrier Islands there for a reason. If you build on them and they get demolished by a Hurricane that has nothing to do with Global warming.

That's my opinion. And i'm stiking to it. wink.gif
Howard
Hate to see two of the best club contributors disagree on this topic, so have arranged for yet another opinion to settle this once and for all. Wear your foil protected head gear and check this story. wacko.gif
JB 914
QUOTE (Howard @ Sep 22 2005, 07:52 PM)
Hate to see two of the best club contributors disagree on this topic, so have arranged for yet another opinion to settle this once and for all. Wear your foil protected head gear and check this story. wacko.gif

pray.gif Thanks Howard. Now it's all settled.

We can go back to finding Elvis now. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.