Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The state of Ca wants to see my car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschecb
I got my title stolen in a home break in. (yea I know that sucks) So I apply for a new title via the mail. So DMV said lets see it. I call and say whats up? They say for some reason they want to see the car! Current reg. current insur. wacko.gif Anyway tomorrow I go. Take time off off work go get my car then to DMV then take my car back home then go back to work. I think I am better off putting my title in my man purse/brifecase. biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Hmmmm, I don't know. I hear alarm bells ringing.....
Sparky
If they tell you that you've won a free tv and point to a room to go claim it in... RUN!!

My best,
Mike D.
lapuwali
Sounds like they just want to do the standard VIN verification, to make sure you're not trying to "invent" a new VIN.
redshift
They just love Porsches! Dress up, grease your hair back, and look important..

smile.gif

M
Tobra
At least you don't live too far from the DMV. They did not want to see mine, and it had been non op for 3 years. I even asked the chick, "Don't you need to take a look at it? It could be totally unsafe for the street, no tail-lights or brakes, drippin' gas and oil." Her response, "No, here are your stickers." I hate the DMV, I hope you got an appointment.
KevinP
No big deal!! In my County you can call the cops and they will come by and verifiy the VIN and sign your application for new title.
Agency witness rep. smile.gif
--------------------------------

KP
bd1308
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 21 2005, 10:41 PM)
Sounds like they just want to do the standard VIN verification, to make sure you're not trying to "invent" a new VIN.

couldnt you just stamp a new VIN tag with your invented numbers?

OR since nobody knows about the NARP, couldnt somebody just make a tag that riveted to the front of the car?

why would a person invent a VIN number?
lapuwali
Lots of reasons to invent one. You stole a car, and want to use a number that doesn't show up on a stolen car list. You're trying to make a later car look like an earlier car for smog reasons. You illegally imported a foreign market car and need to give it a US market VIN number.

Mostly, they want to see that the VIN on the tag matches the VIN you write on the paper, to put a tiny hurdle in front of people trying to fake a VIN.
bd1308
i figured the theft reason, the smog one was one I didnt think of, simply because testing doesn't exist here anymore.
fin
My wife was hit and run by what appeared to be gang-bangers.

The detective working on the case reported to my wife that the owner was out of town and that his mom had sold the vehicle for him.

And the paperwork for the sale was in the glove box of her TOWED vehicle.

i.e. they have no idea who owns a car at a particular time even if your paperwork is in order.

Sorry for the semi-hijack.

fin
scruz914
I had to bring my '66 VW Bus to the DMV when I re-registered after non-op. All they did was confirm the VIN. No other checks of any kind. I thought for sure they were going to nail me for a broken windshield. Tail lights were very dim from poor grounds too. But all the guy did was compare the VIN on the pink slip to the VIN on the car.

Good Luck!
-Jeff
ken914
I think I would bring a box of doughnuts for the cops, just in case it is a sting!
porschecb
So I go to DMV today (made an apointment) stand in line and they tell me to go to the verifcation lane. Wait for someone to come over to me and he says whats up? I got my title stolen. He says your car or your title? I said my title the first time! He then tells me there has been a mistake and said I did not need be here for that. He then said I will go in and take care of it for you right now. dry.gif

By now I have a small group of people around my car DMV people and 9 to 10 teenagers with parents waiting to take there driving test. Then the guy brings out the DMV head see my car and now I fielding questions for a half hour or so. cool.gif

My title will be in the mail in two weeks biggrin.gif
Tobra
They actually got me my title pretty quickly. They of course are using some crap 1970's computers, so it surprised me I got it at all.

Ah, the Carmichael DMV, a melange of languages and smells; it boggles my mind that there are that many people that don't seem to have a place to take a shower.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.