Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystery Tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Richard Casto
Included in my car purchase were a number of boxes of parts. As I sorted through the parts, I found two tools that I can’t identify. For all I know they are used to disassemble the space shuttle engines. Or maybe they are some special $500 Porsche tool that someday I will wish I hadn’t thrown out.

Best I can tell it is meant to have some type of ratcheting motion. As you move the handle on the tool back and forth the lever on the end seems to catch and release the three toothed gear. This rotates the gear. I am somewhat a fan of mechanical clocks and the first thing I thought of was that this was much like a clock escapement. Here is a link to an animation of a clock escapement that works much like what this tool looks to do…

Escapement Animation

On the first photo the one on the bottom shows the lever part engaged with the gear. The second photo shows the lever spun around to see it in detail.

Any idea what this is??
Richard Casto
Detail
Aaron Cox
almost look like makeshift trunk hinges
ClayPerrine
Penis stretcher.

Maybe Miles wants to borrow it.
bd1308
maybe it fits a huge clock?
SLITS
They are prototype car lifts used on the front/rear sway bar for #114. As you roll into a corner, the arm rachets holding the car in a tilted position thru the corner. The only way to reset them is to launch the car off the road so you get a full suspension drop on each side. Was not widely used, as the launching off the road was not considered an acceptable practice. The engineer that designed them was given another boot and went on to excellence in design of the YUGO.

burnout.gif
davep
looks like 356 front hood hinges
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (davep @ Sep 22 2005, 08:33 AM)

Yup. The Cap'n
Kerrys914
No idea on the tool but how is your floor holding up wink.gif
Richard Casto
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Sep 22 2005, 09:38 AM)
No idea on the tool but how is your floor holding up wink.gif

Ok so far. Slick when wet. ohmy.gif I used the cheapy Rust-Oleum kit. As with any painting prep works is key. The PO for the house didn't have a great deal of oil down on the raw concrete, but I worked to make sure it was clean before I put the epoxy down.

I had some people say to not put in the paint flakes (they said they would pop off as the surface wore down). So far I am not seeing ANY of that. I think if the epoxy is thick enough and you put the flake down immediatly that it bonds really well. I also have not had anything peal up, but I haven't really abused it much so far as I only put it down about a year ago. Ask me again in a few years if I still like it. laugh.gif
Richard Casto
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 22 2005, 09:08 AM)
QUOTE (davep @ Sep 22 2005, 08:33 AM)

Yup. The Cap'n

Thank you gentlemen! Leave it up to me to mistake a car part for a tool! wacko.gif At least I knew it didn't belong on the 914. Pictures below for those curious to see it installed in car. Now that I know what to search for, Google Image search is my friend!
Richard Casto
I haven't spent any time with a 356, but I suspect that the ratchet/escapement movement allows the hood to be raised and locked in position. Then maybe you can pick it up slightly from the "locked" position to release it and then lower the hood back down?? confused24.gif

I guess I will put this on my list of things to put on eBay.... "Pair of 356 hood hinges. Do not know which model these are for. Sold as is!" wink.gif
davep
Yes, raise and lock, raise and release. However, a lot of pump jockeys did not know the raise and release bit and ruined a lot of (very expensive) front lids.

About the same thing for a '72 911 with the fender oil filler. Many a '72 got the oil tank filled with gas. Very small fillup also. Twas a one-year-only feature.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.