Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six conversion idea.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
I was looking online at a site that showed a bunch of 914/6 GT stuff. The link....

And the racing oil filter that replaced the engine mounted oil cooler got me to thinking.. (Oh shit, we are in trouble.. Clay is thinking again).

Why do we go to all the trouble to modify the metal tube coming out of the bottom of the oil cooler. Why not just remove it and thread the hole? Then put in either an AN or Metric fitting for the oil line. It's much easier to tap a hole than it is to TIG weld on an AN fitting.

confused24.gif
Root_Werks
I've done that before, actually works really well. If you have a later large oil line oil cooler, you can just cut off the end right up to the support. Run a tap for a 12AN fitting, it really just puts little groves in the oil cooler pipe, but enough that you can thread and even snug down a little bit on a 90 alum 12AN fitting. Not much though. I used JB weld around the threads. It was the only one I did like that and 6 months later the guy says it works fine, no leaks. Go figure. Easy, cheap and if you had to, you could remove it if you had to replace it. Sort of cool. smile.gif
Ferg
If your talking about removing the whole tube, and taping a whole right where the cooler would mount to the engine case i'm thinking that there is not enough cooler material there... the thread cound would be very small, ie it's not very deep there, and then you have the oil cooler seal in there to boot...

I'm guessing though... confused24.gif

Ferg
IronHillRestorations
been doing that for about ten years now! cool.gif
pete-stevers
Are there any pics of a modified tank ....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.