Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: is bus type IV 2.0 same as 914 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
can anyone tell me if a late model bus 2.0 will work in 73 914 that has 1.7 fuel injection? what about;
1) computor/ injection calibration- changes
2) tin
3) any other issues

thanks any input appiciated
Root_Werks
I am not really a 4cyl guy, so someone correct me if I am wrong. But they are pretty darn different. The Bus 2.0 and 914 2.0 are not the same.

914 2.0 has a windage tray and Porsche only heads for startes.

The cams are different too. A bus engine will die off quickly where the 914 2.0 would rev more freely.

But if you have a dead 1.7 and are picking up a bus 2.0 for a good deal. Heck, toss it in. It'll be a torque monster compared to that 1.7. Just don't expect it to rev like the 1.7 did.

I think you can just bolt or swap over the FI, but the 1.7 injectors and brain probably wouldn't produce the fuel enough for even a bus 2.0.

Anyone else have any thoughts? idea.gif
ThinAir
Although the 2.0L bus Type IV is essentially the same engine, it would not be correct to think that "newer 2.0L have hydraulic lifters". No 914 ever came with hydraulic lifters. VW did this only on the 77-79 bus engines.

You can physically interchange the bus type IV with a 914 type IV if you swap the entire thing. Whether a hydraulic lifter engine is a good thing in a 914 is very controversial. Lot's of folks hate them because they have issues at high rpms. I like them in my son's 1975 bus because he isn't mechanical so he doesn't need to do valve adjustments.

I don't know whether the 1.7L sheet metal would work on the bus engine or whether you could use the 1.7L D-jet on a 2.0L engine (I suspect that the FI would not work well and would be too lean), but I do know that the cam profiles are different between the two engines. The bus engine has a torque profile that was made for getting that big box moving from a standing stop. This torque is quite different from what is needed for the much lighter 914. I believe the result is that this bus engine would have issues when you get into higher speeds.
SLITS
QUOTE (orange914 @ Sep 22 2005, 10:06 AM)
can anyone tell me if a late model bus 2.0 will work in 73 914 that has 1.7 fuel injection? what about;
1) computor/ injection calibration- changes
2) tin
3) any other issues

thanks any input appiciated

1. Pistons are deeper dish...lower compression

2. Crank & Rods are the same

3. Head are like the 1.7/1.8 except for the '79 which has Vanagon heads (different exh ports). Valves are smaller in size.

4. Dipstick is in lower case, not up top

5. Clutch & flywheel are different..228 mm as opposed to 215 mm and there is a difference in the ring gear placement. Teener flywheel\clutch should be used.

6. You would have to use 1.7/1.8 914 tin as tin is different

7. Brain and injectors are different.

About all I can think of at this point....it will work in a Teener with the above in mind.

ThinAir
QUOTE (SLITS @ Sep 22 2005, 10:25 AM)
4. Dipstick is in lower case, not up top

I forgot about this one! That's really significant because the bus dipstick will end up in a very hard to reach place.
SLITS
QUOTE (ThinAir914 @ Sep 22 2005, 10:30 AM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Sep 22 2005, 10:25 AM)
4.  Dipstick is in lower case, not up top

I forgot about this one! That's really significant because the bus dipstick will end up in a very hard to reach place.

Boss can be closed with a plate and dipstick retapped at the top where it is normally located on a teener. Pain in the ass, but.........
Bleyseng
Buses run Ljet thats basically the same as the 1.8L on a 914.
The 2.0l bus heads have tiny valves 37.5x33mm
The tin is totally different....
and the kicker is that a 2.0L bus is 70hp vs a 2.0L 914 is 95hp. Even the old 1.7 914's were 80hp!

The hydro valves came on 78 buses and suck IIHO so I am glad I have a 77!
Yes, the Westy I have totally falls on its face above 3500 rpms!!! gotta a plan to change all that soon.....and add hp.
davep
When did they start the square exhaust ports on the bus? Won't fit a 914 exhaust system for sure.
type47
square ports are called "vanagon" heads even tho they are on a 79 bus and the vanagon series started in 80
Dave_Darling
If the "late bus" is 78+ or 79+, the exhaust will not fit because the exhaust ports are a different shape.

You can correct all the issues, if you're willing to throw enough time and money at the motor, but...

--DD
orange914
smilie_pokal.gif great input, there really is alot of expense and greif to install a bus 2.0

dont want to go there barf.gif screwy.gif

p.s. hopefully the 914 will be back from the paint, then we can reinstall everything in the next couple of weeks. signal orange has been disconinued the toner ended up to be $75 a qt (this guy is picky pray.gif )

thanks for input
Mueller
QUOTE (orange914 @ Sep 22 2005, 09:06 PM)
signal orange has been disconinued the toner ended up to be $75 a qt (this guy is picky pray.gif )

huh???

most colors are not kept in stock...you give the paintshop a code, they look up the recipe and custom mix it for you...is he trying to get extra money out of you or what?
bd1308
I ended up using a ford color red....

i like the color, plus the guy (i'm good friends with his son) saved me extra wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.