Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT mb diesels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
I have been looking at vw tdi's lately and noticed I can buy a e series diesel 1996-1998 with over 100k miles for about the same price for a 200-2003 vw jetta tdi.
What do you guys know about mb diesels and what to look out for. huh.gif
Brian Mifsud
well.. in a word... RAPE!!!!!!!!!!! at the parts counter.....

example:

Year.. 1992
Pistons for Diesel Mahle.. $100/each

Pistons for Small Block Chevy.. TRW Forged, set of 8, $125........

pete-stevers
sister in law has a newer tdi automatic, its been in the shop at least twice under warranty for the tranny for major stuff.....I used to be a vw nut..... not any more.....
Elliot_Cannon
I'll never buy another Mercedes that was built after 1990. That's when quality control started to go south. Seems to be the case with a lot of manufacturers lately.
Elliot
Cap'n Krusty
Don't expect 48 MPG from the MBZ. The later straight 6 diesels (350D) are NOT the engine the 5s were. I dunno what the E300 has, but I'm sure there's a lot of electronic controls, at a time when such thing were just being introduced. Most MB techs don't like the later diesels all that much. Good news is they're out there relatively cheap. The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
I love both of mine but they're not diesels. I wish they were though.

I agree with Elliot though the 124's seem to be the last of the good guys. That being said, again, mine have benz great.

Anybody know which MB Turbo Diesel that will fit in my ML?? confused24.gif
tdgray
I had both a 280D and a 300D. Both 5 cylinders

Great cars but don't expect 50 MPG.... I think I used to get around 33. Great for a big car but...

Also bring your $$$$$, when shit breaks it's hell. Also try to find someone to work on it dry.gif
TROJANMAN
a good friend of mine has a pristine (concour) 83 300 D
he gets 23-25 around town.
tdgray
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Sep 22 2005, 05:35 PM)
a good friend of mine has a pristine (concour) 83 300 D
he gets 23-25 around town.

Sounds about right... I had mine when I drove quite a distance to work...all highway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.