Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California Emmision?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jetboy
Im am sure this has been asked a thousand times, but, the "Search" didnt pull anything for me.

To my understanding, California auto's that are 1975 or older are smog exempt. What steps are needed to register your early 914's? I am looking to going with a 6 conversion and want to make sure i wont have any restrictions. Thnx in advance.
SLITS
If it is currently registered....just pay the new registration

If it is still in the DMV computers and is out of license....pay the fees and penalities

If it is off the computer (not registered in a long time) or salvage title.....Bill of Sale, pay the fees and penalities plus you will have to take it to the DMV for VIN certification.

They really don't look at the engine except to see if it has the emissions stickers on it (really...it's a thirty year old car and you expect the emissions stickers to be there?)

Take insurance cert with you.
Carlitos Way
If I remember correctly, the "legalities" are such that if you replace it with a "newer" engine, you're SUPPOSED to put all the smog from the newer engine. However, if you have a car older than 75, and an engine newer than 75, chances are nobody is going to CHECK. If you go with an older engine, then you're supposed to keep the smog equipment of the year/make/model for which you are registering. Again, chances are nobody will check.
lapuwali
If it's a '75 or older, they don't even look for emissions stickers. If you have to do a VIN verification (which you have to do if you have no California title), they only look at the VIN. If you have a California title, they don't even do the VIN verification, so they won't even look at the car, period.
SLITS
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 22 2005, 01:05 PM)
If it's a '75 or older, they don't even look for emissions stickers.

Oh yes they did!!!!!
Tobra
When I registered my '74, it had been on a non-op for 2-3 years. They did not even look at my proof of insurance. I asked if they wanted to look at the car and they said no. I would not get too worked up about it. That said, if the car is one year, and the motor is another, it is technically supposed to adhere to whichever standards are stricter. For example, a '75 with a '76 motor would need smog cert, on paper anyway.
lapuwali
QUOTE (SLITS @ Sep 22 2005, 12:07 PM)
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 22 2005, 01:05 PM)
If it's a '75 or older, they don't even look for emissions stickers.

Oh yes they did!!!!!

They never looked for mine, so perhaps it changes from place to place or time to time. I did this twice within the last 3 years (different cars).
SLITS
That's why I put the statement in that I said to him.....30 years old and you expect them to be there?

No offense intended....I just thought it was really stupid that he was concerned about emission stickers when the car is not smoged.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (jetboy @ Sep 22 2005, 11:57 AM)
Im am sure this has been asked a thousand times, but, the "Search" didnt pull anything for me.

To my understanding, California auto's that are 1975 or older are smog exempt. What steps are needed to register your early 914's? I am looking to going with a 6 conversion and want to make sure i wont have any restrictions. Thnx in advance.

I If I understand you correctly, you have not bought the car yet.
If that's the case, buy it, register it immediately with AAA. Bring proof of insurance.

Then your home free.

I bought my '74 without engine or trans. insured it. and when i registered it they asked for the past 7 years of back registration fees and proof of ins. cost me about $200.00. No inspection or other questions.

=-)
computers4kids
I just purchased a 74 914 and registered it 6 months ago. DMV said that the "30" year rule has been ammended. A car use to roll off and become smog exempt after 30 years...it's NO LONGER that way in CA. Now, 1975 and newer will ALWAYS have to be smogged. 1974 and older cars are smog exempt. I would stay away from 75 or newer cars in CA.
SirAndy
QUOTE (computers4kids @ Sep 23 2005, 08:29 PM)
1974 and older cars are smog exempt.

actually, they are *NOT* smog excempt. they are excempt from the smog *TESTING* ...

you still need to have the smog equipment installed and working that came with your car, they just don't make you go through the annual smog-check.

if you get pulled over and the cop wants to bust you, he *CAN* write you a ticket if your engine is not up to specs ...

wink.gif Andy
Joe Bob
Bzzzzzt....wrong Joe Bob. 75s are exempt.....some 76s got in under the wire cause the rule changed in April of 05......it remains to be seen if the BAR will ask for the early 76s that got in under the wire will have to smog in 2007 or not.

Joe Bob
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Sep 23 2005, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (computers4kids @ Sep 23 2005, 08:29 PM)
1974 and older cars are smog exempt.

actually, they are *NOT* smog excempt. they are excempt from the smog *TESTING* ...

you still need to have the smog equipment installed and working that came with your car, they just don't make you go through the annual smog-check.

if you get pulled over and the cop wants to bust you, he *CAN* write you a ticket if your engine is not up to specs ...

wink.gif Andy

Yeah...that'll happen..... dry.gif

1923 T Bucket with a blown 454 sitting in the front seat. Cops have more fun fuching with the ricers.....easier and it's like shootin' fish in a barrel....or screwing with Britt..... cool_shades.gif
bd1308
i saw that!

what a coincidence though....

Dr. Roger
so bottom line is if it's '75 or older, go for it.

cops got way too many other fish to fry. hmmm, now im hungry for some salmon...
brp914
some 76s got in under the wire cause the rule changed in April of 05

huh? You mean some early '76 914's got in under the wire, or other cars? my '76 is serial #128. Could it be under the wire, or is it too late? That thing would love to shed its antlers, etc
BMITCHELL
check the build date on the door jam. I seem to remember if it was march or earlier you might be OK.
effutuo101
If the officer can identify that you have a non stock motor in your 914, or that the smog gear doesn't operate correctly on the side of the road, you should recruit! other than that, I paid the penalties and drove my car home. 175.00 worth the cost. when i got my car it had a 2.7L Subaru motor in it. With a kerker exaust. They never batted an eyelash. Worst case, borrow somebody's stock motor and go get your inspection. agree.gif
dlo914
doing everything through AAA is some much simpler...when i registered my 74' all they asked for was the Bill of Sale, the pinkslip, and money of course. They didnt even look at the car. And that it was non-op for a good couple of months.
TonyAKAVW
I had a 76 that I was going to register back earlier this year. It _could_ have been registered without the smog check required because the law went in to effect At the end of April. As long as you got it registered before the law went in to effect, you could get away without smogging it for that registration. From talking to the people at the state bureau of automotive repair, the 76 cars registered in that period would ahve to be smogged 2 years down the road. They seemed pretty certain about that, but who knows.

As far as registering a car that has been off the books and has no pink slip, from what I understand, the form can be filled out by any law enforcement officer and all they do is verify that the VINs on the body match.

From waht Slits says though this is not the case. I need to look into this because my subaru conversion project roller is not registered, hasn't been in many years. ohmy.gif sad.gif unsure.gif

-Tony

ArtechnikA
QUOTE ("Z" @ Sep 23 2005, 11:47 PM)
1923 T Bucket with a blown 454...

a '23 *is* exempt :-)...

up through 1954 is exempt. in 1955 crankcase breather was required.

i like my '53 more every day :-)
Joe Bob
QUOTE (brp914 @ Sep 23 2005, 10:07 PM)
some 76s got in under the wire cause the rule changed in April of 05

huh? You mean some early '76 914's got in under the wire, or other cars? my '76 is serial #128. Could it be under the wire, or is it too late? That thing would love to shed its antlers, etc

Too late...either had to be off the books or expiring prior to April '05....
sgomes
aktion035.gif mueba.gif driving.gif bootyshake.gif
bd1308
this is very intresting....you mean in CA EVERYTHING from 54 and on needs to be smogged.....?

and the checking of the equipment on the side of the road would assumably be a secondary issue, like seat belts here in KY?

VWnDRAG
Cool, they changed the rule when I wasn't looking. Last I herd they weren't going to "roll" that inital 30 yr exemption. Just checked the DMV website, (vehicles 1975 and older exempt - vehicles 1976 and newer required). Life just got better. Mine is a 75. Maybe next year all the 76's will [exempt].
No more back alley, late night, $mog checks.
Tom

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2536

bd1308
i wonder if there is any way around the smog checks?

You should have seen some of the cars roll in to get tested.....

i was impressed by my POS Jeep though...barely ran and yet still passed with flying colors.

heh, glad they didnt take it to 55 or faster with my 31 inch tires and stock diff gears....

yikes!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (VWnDRAG @ Sep 24 2005, 09:52 AM)
Cool, they changed the rule when I wasn't looking. Last I herd they weren't going to "roll" that inital 30 yr exemption. Just checked the DMV website, (vehicles 1975 and older exempt - vehicles 1976 and newer required). Life just got better. Mine is a 75. Maybe next year all the 76's will [exempt].
No more back alley, late night, $mog checks.
Tom

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2536

The rolling inspection exemption stopped, for now, with 1975. It doesn't look good for the future, either. You still, by law, have to have the emissions equipment specified for either the vehicle or the engine, whichever is newer. They just don't make you prove it .................. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.