Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: doing a six...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
Ok after figuring the costs of doing my 4 cylinder badassmother fucker rebuild I figured for an extra 3 grand I could do a "six change..." smile.gif . It is where I wanted my project to end up someday, so I am gonna jump the gun and just do it...I have nearly all the parts for the 5 lug and cool brake shit, so I am mostly covered there. Right now I am focused on the drivetrain. The engine will be a 2.2 T . The engine is a nice good runner needing carbs and a dizzy....already has upgraded carrera chain tensioners and the turbo valve covers. Right now this is what I think I need:

Carbs...duh if possible I will wait and source a set up rebuilt zeniths or weber 40s...if not I will bite the bullet and buy some 40mm PMOs....Awesome complete kit, can use on a bigger motor down the road, just expensive..thats all..

Header and muffler...thinking bursch rusto headers with a ceramic coating from the local vw shop...and some patrick motorsport megaphones to be cheap and loud....

Oil Tank....not sure yet which stuff I need...oe reproduce from vellios or a race tank? Any advantages or disadvantages of either?

Any special wiring or harness modifications...I have no clue yet as to what is entailed

firewall engine mount...

muffler hanger...easy...modded 2ltr...

shift rod mod...easy...

engine oil cooler outlet mod, explain this one, I have no clue

lines...what do I need, anyone make a kit for this with them already made?

6 tachometer...

Dizzy...from what I understand you can only use a distributor from that particular model and if you were to mod the engine (E cams, S heads, whatever), you have to have them recurved? Any good source from rebuilt dizzys, or simple plug and play modern ones?

Also would someone mind explaining the whole ignition setup for me? All I understand are simple type4...dizzy, coil, plugs. Explain the whole CD box and whatever else is entailed...

Ok here goes my really stupid question: Where would the filter be located on an engine with a race tank, with the pictures I have seen, I have concluded the the oil filter is mounted on the OE tank. With a race tank, would it be mounted on an external unit, such as when relocating the filter on a bug...I have never touched a six in my life...

So would someone educate me a little...give me some pros and cons to what I am thinking...Am I missing anything vital? Thanx for the help...7 weeks till I come home!... smile.gif
-Jared

Crazyhippy
1st and foremost, thank you for serving ar15.gif smilie_pokal.gif flag.gif

The only thing i can help w. is oil filter stuff, i personally prefer the seperate filter, as you can mount it where you want, and it doesn't have to be designed to dump oil on everything everyoil change headbang.gif screwy.gif

Beyond that, i'm lost.

BJH
Root_Werks
Jared, You are certainly in the right place for what you are about to do! boldblue.gif

Oil tank, there is a stock one in the parts forum with bits and peices for $600. I would nab that if I were you.

Carbs, I have a set of Zeniths (Euro even, bigger vent's ect.) that would actually work really well on your 2.2T. BUT, they need to be gone through again. I didn't get everything unclogged the last time I went through them.

There is a thread on oil cooler mods. There are a number of guys who will do it for you. I think "sixnotfour" on the club here still does them for a good deal. Rich Johnson does all that six stuff as well. Hell, even I can do it.

The dizzy, you have an early style, so pretty much any 2.0-2.2 6cyl dizzy will work fine. I would stick with the "T" dizzy just because it will work well with the cams. But I had a flared orange 2.2T 914 I put a "E" dizzy on and I could tell it helped give the engine a better(Flatter) torque curve. So if you can find an "E" dizzy, nab that. And "S" might be too different though? idea.gif

Get a thread started on your conversion! Ask us questions, we're here to help! biggrin.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
SLITS
Just come home.................worry about the car later...........

1. Carbs used Webers w/manifolds & linkage.......1 - 1.2K

2. /6 bellcrank for carbs....talk to Dan Root... 0.1K

3. Engine tin......talk to Dan Root.... 0.2K

4. Early 911 2.0 flywheel & clutch.... ????

5. Oil Tank...what ever you can afford....aftermarket use aftermarket in line oil filter housing (prolly easier to change). Figure in oil lines too (if still available).... 0.2 K each

6. Oil cooler mod......Hard line modification involving a 90 degree an fitting heliarced or tiged on...or get a stock /6 cooler

7. Engine harness different...just a rewire

8. Exhaust sytem....stock about 0.9 - 1K....headers (no heat) 0.5K.....SS headers w/heat 1.5K

9. Dizzy....available used 0.1 - 0.2K....with or without vacuum advance...any will work

10. Engine mount....bulkhead desireable...no bar to hit shit with.....bar type...same probs as /4

11. Early 911 muffler

12. Exhaust support....same as early car as I remember

13. Shift rod setup....sideshifter?....talk to Dan Root... 0.1K

14. Tach....early 911 tach... 0.05 - 0.1K

Yeh, I'm thinking to....2.4 CIS
E. Fry
There are a few odd things you will need:
linkage for the carbs, the six was the same as the 911 except the cable runs to the back of the trans to a bell crank then to a linkage piece to the bell crank on the carb. I am running this factory six set-up with no issues. some is 911 stuff. not so hard to find.

headers and muffler, Triad... no changes to side shifter linkage required, works and sounds great, and good pricing. Quick prices are about to go up.

There are some wiring changes to be made. I would start with the harness from the 911 (hope it comes w/motor) and make the changes at the relay board connectors. Mine is all factory wiring but I may have the drawings for the changes needed, I will check next time I am at home

Oil lines will all be based on the parts and pieces you decide to use, most hydrulic hose shops can make up the hoses, not always as cheap as we would like.
Root_Werks
Thanks for the plugs Ron. biggrin.gif

Early 911 tach with silver button is cool, but don't get a real 914-6 tach or 911E tach. They won't work without a little NLA part.

A later non silver button tach will also work from 74-77. Just depends on the year of your 914 and what gauges you want to match up to. My latest six is a 74, so I nabbed a 75 911 tach. Matches the gauges nicely.

E_Fry - Eric Fry? King of the cones Eric Fry?
DrifterJay
thanx guys for the advice...keep it flowing!
DrifterJay
what about the fuel pump? can my current carbed facet setup be used temporarily? I need a pressure regulator as well, for 3-4 psi, correct?
Root_Werks
The little plastic or little metal sqaure ones won't keep up. I burned up two of them (they left me stranded).

Most FLAPS carry the faucet stuff too. They make a decent one for like $79. It is bigger and much quieter. I have used them on 3 of my six conversions. Haven't heard any complaints yet. I forget the part number. Goes to about 8-9lbs and I usually grab a pressure reg for another $20, 3.5lbs set it. Should be good. So for around $100, your fuel pump system is taken care of.
J P Stein
Take that combat pay and just buy one that's already done.
Instant gradification. biggrin.gif
You'll be able to fuss with it to your hearts content and actually drive it while you're on leave.....assuming you don't fuss with it too much.
goose2
Take that combat pay and just buy one that's already done

This is good advice....sombody else gets to do the hard work and/or spend the big bucks and you have something you can drive while you refine it and fuss with details. It is very rare for a six conversion to be sold for anywhere near what has been spent creating it. The time spent researching and sourcing good deals on parts can be staggering...but fun too. It all depends on how you want to spend your time and $.
John
QUOTE (DrifterJay @ Sep 22 2005, 11:21 AM)
Ok after figuring the costs of doing my 4 cylinder badassmother fucker rebuild I figured for an extra 3 grand I could do a "six change..." smile.gif . It is where I wanted my project to end up someday

That's funny.

This is the exact stand my wife just took while I have my 4-cyl engine all torn apart preparing to buy new parts for the rebuild.

I found my replacement engine and now must figure out how I want to do the oil tank and oil cooler thing very soon. I may just copy the race car and use a racing tank, cooler and thermostat. (I would rather try to use a tank in the stock location, but I can't beat the price of a brand new and leak free round 4-gal dry sump tank.)

Good luck to you, Jared.

P.S. Anyone know where to find a cost effective set of 1 3/4" headers for a 3.2 and a muffler to go with them?
pete-stevers
good luck on the project!
It will Take a while to source all the stuff...
doing the job yourself, and with the help of the club guys as resources....its something to be proud of....yup you can get one built....whop-dee-do,
Trekkor
Going with the SIX. Awesome!

You will be so happy.

Read the thread in my sig...*everything* is covered.

Congrats, again.

KT
sixnotfour
Just come home..................

agree.gif
Going with the SIX. Awesome!

You will be so happy.

smilie_pokal.gif beer.gif
DrifterJay
read all 18 pages this morning...well morning for me, lol...gonna do it...gonna survive on 99c chicken sandwiches from jack in the box to build the six...but hey..your only 20 once... biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
Jared-when you are ready for the exhaust headers (engine size plz.?) we will hook you up with our (-) 40% Active Military Discount...so contact us when you are ready for pipes.
Heater ? wear a good jacket blink.gif
Marty
pete-stevers
And I might ad they are great lookin headers I will be bolting mine on my six on sunday if the exhaust studs hold......thanks Martin
rick 918-S
No advice, just sayin hey! wavey.gif
DrifterJay
thanx a lot guys for your input, I appreciate it....I am gonna collect as many parts to do the swap while I am still over here. So expect this topic to pop up from time to time when I have a question or something of that jist...thanx guys, if anyone has any more advice, just keep it coming....Later!

-Jared smoke.gif
Root_Werks
This is sort of a cool thread because it has made me think back over the last year or so and all the six conversions that have been done or even started because of the support from this club. I have recieved a few PM's over the last year from a few guys who said they started thier conversions because of seeing me do some of mine. That rocks! rocking nana.gif I think I have sold about 18 of my bell crank kits to date too. Maybe not all 18 are conversions, but if even 10 are, that also rocks. I love it when a six comes together! boldblue.gif

Jared, you have the support here man and it certainly seems like you have the drive to do it. I am biase and I say do it! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.